Sponsored by:

Need Detailing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 07:10 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Detailing Advice

After a week of ownership, I was finally able to find enough time to wash the car and inspect the car in much greater detail.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase. The vehicle is very clean and straight. Not a single dent or ding. Everything looks really good.

I do have a couple items that I will take care of tomorrow. A small tar spot here. A little scratch in the clear coat there.

One area that needs a bit more attention though is the hood. I am seeing quite a bit of water spots that did not remove during the washing and wipe down with quick detail.

I have quite a bit of detail material in my garage and thinking I will work on this tomorrow. Here are the products I have available:

- Porter Cable - Orange and Grey cutting pads
- Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
- Menzerna Micro Polish
- Jescar Power Lock+ Polymer Sealant
- Detail Clay

It has been a long time since I used the polishes and not sure on order of use. Don't want to screw up the paint and make it worse. Any thoughts on the best way to handle this pain correction?
Old 04-13-2019, 08:52 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

1. Two bucket wash.
2. Clay
If you have light swirling and any shallow clear coat scratching then
3. Intensive polish
4. Micro Polish
5. Sealant
6. Wax
Old 04-14-2019, 02:59 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

For water spots try vinegar first, then move gradually down the left st of more aggressive products. Don’t use anything more aggressive than you need to.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:28 AM
rap
Racer

I ether what is the mix ratio with vinegar? Or is it straight vinegar?
Old 04-14-2019, 11:37 AM
mrtoro
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have some water spots, tried 1:1 ratio of distilled white vinegar to distilled water yesterday. Sprayed on the hood. waited a minute and then applied a clean wash mitt. Didn't take away the water spots. Chemical brothers have a citrus based gel. Thats the next step for me. Hopefully vinegar takes care of yours. Remember, vinegar is acid and it will strip away all waxes etc. plan on wax/seal the car after vinegar treatment.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:51 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

There is a good chance the water spots are from acid rain. You are not going to get them out with a light solvent like vinegar. You are going to have to cut it with an orbital and good compound. Folks are very afraid of compounding their cars... I get that, but there are some really great products out there that are fairly idiot proof like Meguires Miracle Compound that I use. Don't worry, you won't wear your paint away... unless you are a total moron. Seriously, give it a try.

Of course if your that worried about it... take it to a good paint shop and let them work on it... not a detailer, but a real paint shop.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-14-2019, 05:24 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought a 1990 E30 BMW with a ton of paint issues including swirls and water spots. First thing I did was clay. Then with my Porter Cable orbital I used two polishes. I first used Meguiars 105 then followed up with the finer polish the Meguiars 205 polish. Then I used Klasse Sealant followed by DoDo Juice wax. The outcome was impressive. Even with the worn clear coat I was able to bring way way back. Took me two days working slow.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:23 PM
rap
Racer

Klasse is great. Wash, clay, compound with plenty of lubricant. I like griots speed shine. Then use a polish compound mix or polish. Wax after that with A Klasse finish. Then buff to pop the shine. Lots of work but well worth it. If you’re afraid to use a random orbital with the compound apply by hand.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:56 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Vinegar is cheap. I use it straight from the bottle. Your water spots are either from acid rain or hard water. Either way, I always start with the easiest method and work my way up. Vinegar will get them when they’re fresh. Once they’ve etched their way into the clear coat, you will have to buff them out.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:30 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

In Cleveland, or any place around the Great Lakes, odds are better it's hard water than acid rain. I don't even try to wash my own car... too much calcium in the water. I have to take it to a car wash.

Quick Reply: Need Detailing Advice