Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get used OEM headers/cats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 01:42 AM
Greenchunks
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Where to get used OEM headers/cats?

Hey guys,

I recently discovered that the prior owner had bottomed out or damaged the headers somehow and they are flattened on the bottom. As such I’d like to replace them, but I’ll need working cats too. Are there larger salvage yards where one might be able to get a used 997.2 header/cat combo from a totaled car or parted out? I’ve looked through the FS and saw nothing there in OEM or aftermarket. eBay seemed pretty sparse as well.

Would it be possible for a shop to cut off the old headers, fab new ones and reuse the old cats so I don’t throw a code, or would that be cost prohibitive to where just an IPE/Fabspeed system makes more sense? Which other models might work as a replacement as well?

Does anyone have an old set they are willing to sell from when they did an upgrade? The car is a 2009 C4S. It appears that 997.1 headers are not integrated into the cat like the 997.2, is that correct?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2019, 03:46 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It is illegal to sell used cats so unless you find a private party sale there will be slim pickings.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:17 AM
Greenchunks
Advanced

Originally Posted by jkw911
It is illegal to sell used cats so unless you find a private party sale there will be slim pickings.
Good call on that from a salvage yard. Totally slipped my mind.

From a private party perspective, how much work is required to fit. 997.1 header and cat to a 997.2 exhaust? Are there other models that might work better (GT3. etc)
Old 04-08-2019, 09:45 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenchunks
...I recently discovered that the prior owner had bottomed out or damaged the headers somehow and they are flattened on the bottom.
The exhaust is flattened by design from Porsche in a number of places (including the headers). Compare with the following to see if yours is actually damaged.

https://www.sharkwerks.com/images/37...evomsit-14.jpg

...I’ve looked through the FS and saw nothing there in OEM or aftermarket.
You’d need to double check, but these should work...

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1123882

Karl.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Greenchunks
Advanced

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
The exhaust is flattened by design from Porsche in a number of places (including the headers). Compare with the following to see if yours is actually damaged.

https://www.sharkwerks.com/images/37...evomsit-14.jpg

You’d need to double check, but these should work...

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1123882

Karl.
Karl, great point actually. Let me see if I can get a decent pic from under the car as that may be the case. My Indie shop was the one who told me they were flattened and needed to be replaced, and me being new to these cars didn't question him. But looking at that picture, it doesn't seem all that different from what I saw when the car was up on lifts this weekend. I didn't see any damage to the bends on those flat spots that would have indicated the car bottoming out. Appreciate the link for the new marketplace listing, I only checked the old one out of habit.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:20 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,701 Likes on 4,258 Posts

From a private party perspective, how much work is required to fit. 997.1 header and cat to a 997.2 exhaust? Are there other models that might work better (GT3. etc)
Totally different design and setup between the 997.1 and 997.2 - not worth the time or cost to pursue that avenue. If yours are in-fact damaged, I would just post a WTB ad in the Marketplace and then do your due diligence (post count, google photo search, etc) on the responses to validate that people who contact you actually have to sell what they say they do.

I've sold used cats either on Ebay or the Forum Marketplaces - in fact I have a 30k miles set of Cayenne 957 Turbo S secondary cats sitting on a shelf if someone is in the market

Quick Reply: Where to get used OEM headers/cats?