997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deal or no Deal 2010 997.2 C4s

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019 | 12:46 PM
Iceter
Drifting

I won't chime in on the car but as has been mentioned earlier, Poesche of Beverly Hills has an absolutely terrible reputation. Based on what I have read here, I wouldn't shop them, ever.
Old 04-02-2019 | 12:56 PM
mujeriega
Racer

If that car at 60k miles is a high $40k - low $50k car, then you're pretty much in the right ballpark at $42k. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time (>5 yrs), it's not going to matter what you paid for it anyway... cars are not investments.

Also, with people harping on getting a low price, you never really want to be buying the cheapest Porsche that you can find.
Old 04-02-2019 | 09:18 PM
Pbrad
Advanced

Hi
For what it is worth, I just picked up a 2009 997.2 4S cabriolet with 76,500 from a nearby state. Heavily optioned with PDK, sport chrono, dual color leather, bose upgrade, ipod interface, steering wheel controls etc. (122K original price)
they were asking 41K then dropped to 39,900. Had a Porsche PPI done on it at a local dealership (not cheap) but the car was up to date on its yearly oil changes but due for brake flush and behind on the PDK and 4WD fluid change and the windshield washer wasn't working. Was also due for "major service" (which is essentially spark plugs, which were due to be replaced by time not mileage). There were some other odds and ends. The dealer quoted me about 5-6K to fix/update. I took the PPI to my local mechanic and he stated no problem.
I then negotiated 3K off the price (initally asked $3500 off, but got 3K). So got for about 36,900
Picked it up and had a awesome 450 mile trip home.
took it to my Indy mechanic who changed out all the fluids, fixed the washer and some other odds and ends for 2K, will repair the drivers handle and replace spark plugs myself.
there are some paint chips in the hood as expected and disclosed (Calling Dr. Paintchip, worked well enough)
Will need rear brakes in about 5K but will probably change myself with the help of you tube and mechanic friend.

It was also my first time to buy a car unseen or driven. Very weird.
Strongly suggest a good PPI , which you had done, use that to negotiate the final price. (worked for me)
Also have the salesman take a up-close video of the car exterior and interior and send it to you preferably in fluorescent light. Make sure they go slow. ( I found a vey small ding in front bumper, help the negotiations)

Also make sure you can walk away if you see it and are not happy.

I was on a budget and the car worked for me. I was looking for a car that I am going to drive vs a garage queen. (though I take very good care of my cars) The 911 looks great, and drives better. I got it smog checked today and two different guys commented on how great it looks and stated it looks brand new (just washed and waxed)

Hope this helps,
Happy hunting.

Last edited by Pbrad; 04-02-2019 at 10:43 PM. Reason: want to add on
Old 04-03-2019 | 09:11 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

My 2010 C4S is a cab but I wouldn't let mine go for that money (even if I had those miles....55K miles on mine)....I say if you like it and it checks out go for it! Second chances in life don't come around very often and sometimes they never do!

Tom
Old 04-03-2019 | 09:15 AM
prolle82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pbrad
Hi
For what it is worth, I just picked up a 2009 997.2 4S cabriolet with 76,500 from a nearby state. Heavily optioned with PDK, sport chrono, dual color leather, bose upgrade, ipod interface, steering wheel controls etc. (122K original price)
they were asking 41K then dropped to 39,900. Had a Porsche PPI done on it at a local dealership (not cheap) but the car was up to date on its yearly oil changes but due for brake flush and behind on the PDK and 4WD fluid change and the windshield washer wasn't working. Was also due for "major service" (which is essentially spark plugs, which were due to be replaced by time not mileage). There were some other odds and ends. The dealer quoted me about 5-6K to fix/update. I took the PPI to my local mechanic and he stated no problem.
I then negotiated 3K off the price (initally asked $3500 off, but got 3K). So got for about 36,900
took it to my Indy mechanic who changed out all the fluids, fixed the washer and some other odds and ends for 2K, will repair the drivers handle and replace spark plugs myself.
there are some paint chips in the hood as expected and disclosed (Calling Dr. Paintchip, worked well enough)
Will need rear brakes in about 5K but will probably change myself with the help of you tube and mechanic friend.

It was also my first time to buy a car unseen or driven. Very weird.
Strongly suggest a good PPI , which you had done, use that to negotiate the final price. (worked for me)
Also have the salesman take a up-close video of the car exterior and interior and send it to you preferably in fluorescent light. Make sure they go slow. ( I found a vey small ding in front bumper, help the negotiations)

Also make sure you can walk away if you see it and are not happy.

I was on a budget and the car worked for me. I was looking for a car that I am going to drive vs a garage queen. (though I take very good care of my cars) The 911 looks great, and drives better. I got it smog checked today and two different guys commented on how great it looks and stated it looks brand new (just washed and waxed)

Hope this helps,
Happy hunting.
Congrats on your new purchase sounds like you got a great deal on your car. I planned for this car to be my daily driver but I decided to walk away my mechanic and the forum members talked me out of it. I just hope I can find another example like this in the next year or two again. Thank you for the tip about video and fluorescent light.

Enjoy your car post pic if you can
Old 04-03-2019 | 11:35 AM
rickdogg82
Pro

If you want to buy a car and it is the model, color, and options you want there is no reason to sweat paying a little more than what OTHERS think it is worth.
That said, I would never buy a car sight unseen. If you don't have a problem with this, I would at least ask a fellow enthusiast to check it out to verify the cosmetic condition. "Normal" wear and tear means different things to different people. And a bad car can look great in photos. Is the car still in CA? What city?
Old 04-05-2019 | 12:16 PM
prolle82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
If you want to buy a car and it is the model, color, and options you want there is no reason to sweat paying a little more than what OTHERS think it is worth.
That said, I would never buy a car sight unseen. If you don't have a problem with this, I would at least ask a fellow enthusiast to check it out to verify the cosmetic condition. "Normal" wear and tear means different things to different people. And a bad car can look great in photos. Is the car still in CA? What city?
I PM you with where the car is located and what dealer if you find anything out let me know
Old 04-05-2019 | 07:18 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pbrad
Hi
This is a perfect example of "shrewd negotiation" a la Ed Bolian of VINwiki fame..
( I'm not normally a youtube guy but I got hooked on watching his "car stories" vids.. He's quite the story-teller..)
Old 04-06-2019 | 06:43 PM
fan_f1
Banned

Originally Posted by fan_f1
I also have a 997.2 C$S Cab PDK $119/$125K MSRP for sale CHEAP to Rennlisters...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Porsch...S/113704655661
SOLD!

Today at $39K
Old 04-06-2019 | 08:47 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fan_f1
SOLD!

Today at $39K
I am one of those that loves the idea of putting nearly 100k miles on my 911 and selling it for almost 40k. That would bring my per mile cost of ownership to less than 40 cents per.
Old 04-06-2019 | 10:03 PM
fan_f1
Banned

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
I am one of those that loves the idea of putting nearly 100k miles on my 911 and selling it for almost 40k. That would bring my per mile cost of ownership to less than 40 cents per.
I’m with you MexBlue!

Per 2019 AAA:

“The average cost rose 1.17 cents to 60.8 cents per mile, or $9,122 per year, based upon 15,000 miles of annual driving.”
Old 04-08-2019 | 01:38 PM
Pbrad
Advanced

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Looks like a great car, but please check my math.
If you buy a car for 122K, add about 12K for tax, title, license etc. you get $134K out the door. For my maths sake will round up to 140K for accessories etc.

You drive 10 years and 100K miles and sell for $40K, then it seems you spent $100K over 10 years for 100K miles, that seems to end up at :
a one dollar a mile?? 10K depreciation/year??
albeit less in maintenance, higher insurance etc.

If you drive 5K a year (50K miles at time of sale) and sell for $50K you end up at $1.80/mile or 9K depreciation/year
if you drive 5K a year (50K miles at time of sale) and sell for $60K, you end up at $1.60/mile or 8K depreciation/year.
I personally like the idea of driving a great car and sell for less but you get 50K more miles of driving.

I just look at spending 40K and driving 100K over 10 years and selling for $0, costing me 0.40 cents a mile, 4K a year. but with increase operating costs. I am sure my car will have some value at 177K.

The 0.60 cents a mile is just the IRS cost per mile for any car.

Just my .02 cents worth
Not really looking to debate, especially as a brand new Porsche has a priceless feel that isn't monetary, factory warranty, less maintenance etc, If it was my DD would probably buy closer to newer/fewer miles and if looking for classics or was a mechanic would get a older/higher mileage Porsche, but the 997 seems to fit quite nicely in the middle.
Cheers.

P.S.
I apologize if my math is off.
Please don't go ape over the purchase price differences between S, base etc.

Last edited by Pbrad; 04-08-2019 at 01:44 PM. Reason: need to correct math

Quick Reply: Deal or no Deal 2010 997.2 C4s