Sponsored by:

Purchasing out of state - help requested

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 10:20 AM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Purchasing out of state - help requested

Cross posting from the 987 board since I suspect there's a bunch of experience in the basic mechanics of long distance car buying here. I've located "the car" and have confidence in the seller. At some point the car will go into a shipping truck and arrive at my house. And somehow the agreed upon payment will flit from my bank to the seller's. And a title needs to get transferred. What's the collective wisdom on the best approach to protect both buyer and seller in accomplishing these tasks?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:26 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

There is a lot of difference between purchasing from an established dealer and a private seller. So, more details would probably be helpful. Does the seller own the car or still owe money on it? Are you doing a PPI? Why do you have confidence in the seller?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:35 PM
professsorz
Racer

Originally Posted by Balr14
There is a lot of difference between purchasing from an established dealer and a private seller. So, more details would probably be helpful. Does the seller own the car or still owe money on it? Are you doing a PPI? Why do you have confidence in the seller?
Single owner - seller owns the car, has detailed maintenance from day 1, PPI being done, and the over an hour chat we had, plus numerous emails, tells me he's an A+ individual.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:05 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

I never trust people I don't know, especially ones trying to sell a car. I would suggest an escrow account for the money until you receive the title. Have you actually seen the car in person?
Old 03-26-2019, 10:11 PM
professsorz
Racer

I never trust people I don't know, especially ones trying to sell a car. I would suggest an escrow account for the money until you receive the title. Have you actually seen the car in person?
Nope. Not in person.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:35 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought mine from dealer in New Hampshire had shipped to California. Only thing I would make sure is having shipped by a covered transport and a reputable car shipping company. Had Q7 shipped from Colorado from dealer and no issues. You might want him to take to local Porsche dealer and have them go over it and get their opinion as to a 1 - 10 as to condition.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:38 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

I bought a BMW that way. I want to say he sent the title before I sent the $. We documented the agreement with a signed contract by both parties.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:36 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

+1. You may be right about your intuition in regards to the seller, but the truth is we greatly overestimate our ability to assess other people’s honesty or veracity. All you really know about the seller is what he told you. Proceed carefully please, and do not expose yourself to any liability based on your good feeling about him. Sorry if this sounds jaded but 30 years in law enforcement at the local and federal levels taught me some things about the gap between what people say and what they are.

Last edited by D1coach; 03-27-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:48 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Since you have not actually seen the car in person, be prepared to be a little flexible about condition. My observation is perfect condition doesn't mean the same thing to the seller as it does to the buyer. I could go look at the car if you wish.

I should add I bought my car out of state and had it shipped. The title and bill of sale were in the glove box.

Last edited by Balr14; 03-27-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:08 AM
exduluthian
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Strictly from a transactional viewpoint, it is always best to see the car in person. Escrowing the money can work, as long as you verify the escrow agent is legit. Otherwise, a smart seller will insist upon cash, a wire transfer, or a cashier's check issued far enough in advance of pickup that it will clear his bank. From your perspective, this is not ideal; exchanging the check for the car in person, even if it is to be shipped, is safer for you. Have the seller send you a copy of the title before you send any money, so you can check for liens and ownership. If you do the transaction in person, the check can be issued for one or two thousand less than the sale price, with the balance in cash, to allow you to negotiate a discount if the car is not perfect. This can still be done if you have a friend or member of the community in the seller's area who would be willing to inspect the car and do the transfer for you. I've bought several cars without seeing them: the two from dealers and the one with a PPI were all fine; the one private party deal had one bad wheel and a non-functional AC, but was acceptable at the price I paid.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:59 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

your bank will require title from person prior to issuing check to him. If dealer, they will require commitment for title, bank trusts reputable dealers with written commitment.
If you dont know what you are doing, No seller is trustworthy. Have the car inspected at porsche dealer, get carfax, get dealer service history. Have seller sign and send title. Then send him money, and then pick up car
Its a buyers market. He has all the rights. Sellers are not trustworthy
Old 03-27-2019, 07:36 AM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Not sure if it too late, but pictures don’t always tell the whole story. I recently drove to check out a car personally. The pictures showed a “flawless” car. Close inspection revealed a couple of issues that were not acceptable. You might be able to accept some of this if price is right. But, if not, I personally would not purchase a car without a visual. Half the fun is flying to check it out and driving it home if not too far.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:44 AM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I purchased a car out of state in Texas (I'm in Florida).

I took a flight to Texas, drove the car and paid. The seller did a last service at the dealership.
I had the car picked up at the dealership next day and I took the title with me on the plane.

Worked out great!
Old 03-27-2019, 02:25 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,417 Likes on 2,692 Posts

I've purchased probably 25-30 Porsches out of State over the past 35 years - All purchased from Private sellers - NEVER a dealer.
Heres what you do:
1. agree on price contingent on your seeing/driving car and PPI
2. Request photo of sellers drivers license and work info & you send yours - Confirm address on license/work info
3.$500 refundable good faith down payment sent via PAYPAL contingent on your being satisfied with viewing/driving PPI results - Write this on PAYPAL transaction notes
4. set up/schedule PPI date
5. Make hotel/flight arrangements - Enjoy the flight trying not to pee your pants with excitement
6. Arrive - View-test drive- take car to PPI shop
7. Review PPI with shop and address any issues and get ball-park price to repair/replace problematic issues
8. Negotiate with seller - Be fair and kind.
9. Either ship car home/drive car home or fly home with your $500 refunded
Old 03-27-2019, 02:39 PM
professsorz
Racer

Originally Posted by exduluthian
Strictly from a transactional viewpoint, it is always best to see the car in person. Escrowing the money can work, as long as you verify the escrow agent is legit. Otherwise, a smart seller will insist upon cash, a wire transfer, or a cashier's check issued far enough in advance of pickup that it will clear his bank. From your perspective, this is not ideal; exchanging the check for the car in person, even if it is to be shipped, is safer for you. Have the seller send you a copy of the title before you send any money, so you can check for liens and ownership. If you do the transaction in person, the check can be issued for one or two thousand less than the sale price, with the balance in cash, to allow you to negotiate a discount if the car is not perfect. This can still be done if you have a friend or member of the community in the seller's area who would be willing to inspect the car and do the transfer for you. I've bought several cars without seeing them: the two from dealers and the one with a PPI were all fine; the one private party deal had one bad wheel and a non-functional AC, but was acceptable at the price I paid.
Thanks! Good data.

Quick Reply: Purchasing out of state - help requested