Sponsored by:

Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Fuel Injectors

I’m planning to replace my fuel injectors on my 997.1 C2S before I start driving my car more heavily this spring.

My dealer insisted there was no need to replace the injectors. Watching Jake’s video series tells me otherwise.

My indy thinks it’s a good idea, and we were going to do the job together this spring in his garage (he cuts me a huge break when we work on the car together at his home garage which I’m lucky to have access to).

Looking over my options: OEM Genuine Porsche injectors are $199/apiece; Bosch (listed as the OME supplier) are $45/apiece. Any reason not to go with the Bosch injectors over the OEM’s? It sounds like Bosch are the OEM injector suppliers...

Any suggestions for other projects while I’m in there?
Old 03-23-2019, 01:57 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't see much risks here. We buy non Porsche parts all the time since most of the time parts are just rebranded with Porsche's box and tax. I am pretty sure you will see Bosch's logo on "Porsche's injectors" just like coils, plugs...
Old 03-23-2019, 02:14 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Car companies almost always make the body and he engine and generally almost nothing else. I imagine the correct Bosch injector would work fine. But why change them? Is the car running poorly? How many miles? The issues around injectors are mainly with DI. The DI injectors ( as well as the pumps) have been problematic with just about all car brands .Port injectors ( which are in your car) have been reliable for many decades and are normally trouble free for 100, 200+ K miles. Port injectors also have better air/fuel mixing so the problems you may reading about generally do not apply. Just use high quality gas ( Top Tier).
Old 03-23-2019, 02:43 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Car companies almost always make the body and he engine and generally almost nothing else. I imagine the correct Bosch injector would work fine. But why change them? Is the car running poorly? How many miles? The issues around injectors are mainly with DI. The DI injectors ( as well as the pumps) have been problematic with just about all car brands .Port injectors ( which are in your car) have been reliable for many decades and are normally trouble free for 100, 200+ K miles. Port injectors also have better air/fuel mixing so the problems you may reading about generally do not apply. Just use high quality gas ( Top Tier).
My oil analysis did not show much of any fuel in the oil. <.5%. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:01 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 274 Posts

My understand of jakes videos, the .1 don't suffer the issues of the injectors like the DFIs.

Cw
Old 03-23-2019, 10:01 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
My understand of jakes videos, the .1 don't suffer the issues of the injectors like the DFIs.

Cw
Not true. I believe they are recommending/requiring new injectors on any current rebuilds. This is in the last year or so
Old 03-23-2019, 10:28 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Originally Posted by vern1
Not true. I believe they are recommending/requiring new injectors on any current rebuilds. This is in the last year or so
Who is recommending?

Car has 60k miles. 2006 - Running well. My concern is the wash down affect on the cylinder from old injectors not operating optimally/as efficiently as when they were new.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:57 PM
vern1
Drifting

LN/Raby
Old 03-24-2019, 12:04 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I am planning on replacing the injectors in my 997.2 in the near future as my latest blackstone report showed like 1% fuel in the Mobile 1 oil after 6,000 miles. Also changing oil to Motul 5w-40. I will go the Bosche route when the time comes.

Last edited by doclouie; 03-24-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,747 Likes on 4,293 Posts

The issues around injectors are mainly with DI. The DI injectors ( as well as the pumps) have been problematic with just about all car brands .Port injectors ( which are in your car) have been reliable for many decades and are normally trouble free for 100, 200+ K miles. Port injectors also have better air/fuel mixing so the problems you may reading about generally do not apply. Just use high quality gas ( Top Tier).
This.

I don't think it's necessary in the .1 cars, just the .2 DFI cars
Old 03-24-2019, 01:45 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Petza914
This.

I don't think it's necessary in the .1 cars, just the .2 DFI cars
Sorry dont believe this is true. Maybe the .2 injectors are more problematic but LN has mandated that all injectors on .1 rebuilds need to be replaced even if they test as good (as they did on mine). Maybe its not necessary on a car that is not subject to a rebuild but the implication is that .1 injectors can/have contributed to scoring (at least in some cases)
Old 03-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_

Who is recommending?

Car has 60k miles. 2006 - Running well. My concern is the wash down affect on the cylinder from old injectors not operating optimally/as efficiently as when they were new.
At 60K miles your injectors should be good unless they have been clogged by contamination or deposits. This should not happen if using top tier gas. You also mentioned that you have very low levels of fuel in the oil. How do your plugs look?
Old 03-24-2019, 03:55 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

At 60K miles your injectors should be good unless they have been clogged by contamination or deposits. This should not happen if using top tier gas. You also mentioned that you have very low levels of fuel in the oil. How do your plugs look?
Plugs are OK. Redid them at 55k as prior owner did not address. Also had to do my ignition coils due to misfiring.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:08 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Sorry dont believe this is true. Maybe the .2 injectors are more problematic but LN has mandated that all injectors on .1 rebuilds need to be replaced even if they test as good (as they did on mine). Maybe its not necessary on a car that is not subject to a rebuild but the implication is that .1 injectors can/have contributed to scoring (at least in some cases)
Vern speaks the truth on .1 cars. I believe Jake recommends that they should be replaced ever 4 years or at least I thought I remember reading that.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 809 Posts

With the 997.1 injectors well upstream from the cylinders a compromised spray pattern may affect atomization but would not result in gas being sprayed directly on the cylinder wall. Without fuel in the oil there is no indication that atomization is incomplete and IMHO there isn't any reason to replace the injectors other than peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injectors