Sponsored by:

997.2 LED tail lights help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 11:37 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 137 Posts
Default 997.2 LED tail lights help

Posted this in the 997 GT3/RS forum, but seeing as it these clearly do not fit these cars, I figured it was better to ask the question here. I purchased a set of new clear OEM 997.2 clear taillights from another member here for my 2011 997.1 GT3RS. Much to my dismay, and unbeknownst to me or the seller, the connector on the back of the lamp assembly does not fit the male connector on the car.

Part number for the driver's side tail light is 997.631.993.03/LV

Photo of the connector in the back of the assembly is attached. Does anyone know which 997.2 model these are compatible with? And why does Porsche make the same %#(@! taillight with different connectors?!?! TIA

Old 03-18-2019, 10:55 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Can you show the actual light and some housing pics? I have bought sold quite a few 997.2 taillights including both red and clear. I think you may have been sold a set of Euro lights. They have a different connector for the amber LEDs (so I've read).
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ail-light.html
Old 03-18-2019, 11:08 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Can you show the actual light and some housing pics? I have bought sold quite a few 997.2 taillights including both red and clear. This is the first time I've ever heard of this.
Will do. I’ll get some pics after I get home tonight.

This is is the first I’ve heard of it as well. It is an actual OEM part listed on Sunset Porsche’s website (no pic) and is labeled ‘AS LED Tail light’, so I’m not concerned that’s it’s an aftermarket piece. It’s clearly a light for a 997.2. All looks as it should be except for the stupid connector I posted above. Very strange.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:14 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Can you show the actual light and some housing pics? I have bought sold quite a few 997.2 taillights including both red and clear. I think you may have been sold a set of Euro lights. They have a different connector for the amber LEDs (so I've read).
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ail-light.html
Just saw your edit. I think you may have figured it out. Will need to check when I get home. Euro Spec would explain the difference, although still baffles me why Porsche would make different connectors. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:20 PM
Popkid
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The part number you quoted is (I think, guessing here as the code isn’t exactly the same as sites here, but this is case for 00, 01 and 02 versions of that part number) for the LH tail light on cars where the rear fog light would be on their right hand tail light e.g. LH rule of road (like UK, where I am) I guess US cars don’t normally have a fog light at all? And if they did it would be on the left... there is an astonishing number of different tail light part numbers for 997.2s! I guess they deliberately make the connectors different to stop ‘incorrect’ fitment? E.g. red indicators in Europe or ‘non fog light’ version in the UK for example?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:37 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Popkid
The part number you quoted is (I think, guessing here as the code isn’t exactly the same as sites here, but this is case for 00, 01 and 02 versions of that part number) for the LH tail light on cars where the rear fog light would be on their right hand tail light e.g. LH rule of road (like UK, where I am) I guess US cars don’t normally have a fog light at all? And if they did it would be on the left... there is an astonishing number of different tail light part numbers for 997.2s! I guess they deliberately make the connectors different to stop ‘incorrect’ fitment? E.g. red indicators in Europe or ‘non fog light’ version in the UK for example?
I think you're correct on all points. Either way, I got it figured out thanks to the link nwGTS provided. I removed the backing piece from the lights (seven T20 torx screws for each side), disconnected what I'm guessing is the reverse light (2 more T20's), a few wires attached to the circuit board via a clip, and the all-important pin-connector (one T20 screw). Swapped them out between lights, and VOILA! It works. The only difference is the indicators are amber instead of red. Don't anticipate running into any issues with that unless some PO notices it and gives me a hard time. Now I have a set of red lights (with the Euro connectors that a swapped out from the clears) for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:36 AM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead

Just saw your edit. I think you may have figured it out. Will need to check when I get home. Euro Spec would explain the difference, although still baffles me why Porsche would make different connectors. Thanks.
You can thank Toyota
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poka-yoke

Quick Reply: 997.2 LED tail lights help