Put less than 1k miles on since purchase and having the following symptoms:

at 50k miles fuel filter, pump, plugs, coils, battery all replaced

now at 100k miles:
1) engine stalls randomly; happened several times
2) typically at 0-25mph, 1st or 2nd gear
3) fuel tank full and also when near 1/4 left
4) foot on accelerator and car stalls as if no gas
5) engine does not die. RPM drops and stays near 700
6) when I release accelrator and then re-engage, engine rpm picks up again and car speeds back up

Planning to inspect coils soon but has anyone experienced symptoms like this before? What could it be? Appreciate any insight. Thanks
Old 03-15-2019, 08:07 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

My benz did a similar thing and it turned out to be a bad / dirty plenum .
Old 03-15-2019, 08:32 PM
jad4ca
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luckyJ
Put less than 1k miles on since purchase and having the following symptoms:

at 50k miles fuel filter, pump, plugs, coils, battery all replaced

now at 100k miles:
1) engine stalls randomly; happened several times
2) typically at 0-25mph, 1st or 2nd gear
3) fuel tank full and also when near 1/4 left
4) foot on accelerator and car stalls as if no gas
5) engine does not die. RPM drops and stays near 700
6) when I release accelrator and then re-engage, engine rpm picks up again and car speeds back up

Planning to inspect coils soon but has anyone experienced symptoms like this before? What could it be? Appreciate any insight. Thanks
Is this a 997.2? I had a similar problem a few months after I had changed the spark plugs last year which caused me to suspect the coils. I changed all the coils and the problem persisted. Thanks to this forum, I discovered it to be the VarioCam sensors located near the spark plugs on each bank.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

When you say it dies, it actually shuts off and you have to restart it or it bogs down and you can't make it accelerate, then it recovers?

If it's the latter, could be your brake pedal switch. Also, how long has that particular tank of fuel been in the car. If more than a few weeks, it could have become stale and you need to run it out and refill. If th car doesn't get Driven very often or very far, where the same gas might be In the tank for a few weeks at a time or longer, you should add Stabil 360 to every fill up.

I've had the symptoms like you describe occur two separate times in my silver car due to gas going stale and not since using the proper amount of Stabil in every tank.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:33 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

As Pete said, is it stalling, bogging or surging?

If the latter, thats a fairly common issue when you have a bad gas cap seal. It typically happens a few minutes after the car started when trying to accelerate lightly. The car will buck and surge like you are about to run out of gas. Take your foot off the gas and it idles fine or mash the throttle and it clears up a bit.

If this is the case, here are some things that will typically clear it up:

1. First, pull over and unscrew the cap. Look at the condition of the seal and then screw back on to 3 clicks. That typically will clear it up if you just kinked it.

2. If the cap has never been replaced thats a cheap preventive measure. The seal gets old.

3. Lastly, fill the car up and reattach the seal.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:19 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
As Pete said, is it stalling, bogging or surging?

If the latter, thats a fairly common issue when you have a bad gas cap seal. It typically happens a few minutes after the car started when trying to accelerate lightly. The car will buck and surge like you are about to run out of gas. Take your foot off the gas and it idles fine or mash the throttle and it clears up a bit.

If this is the case, here are some things that will typically clear it up:

1. First, pull over and unscrew the cap. Look at the condition of the seal and then screw back on to 3 clicks. That typically will clear it up if you just kinked it.

2. If the cap has never been replaced thats a cheap preventive measure. The seal gets old.

3. Lastly, fill the car up and reattach the seal.

Keep us posted.
think this did the trick....I was just clicking once after filling up....no stalling after the 3 "clicks"....thanks a bunch

Quick Reply: Car is stalling