Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice requested - Another about to buy thread :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 05:59 PM
WatlbSC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice requested - Another about to buy thread :)

Quick intro - I've owned many big HP american cars over the past decade. I recently sold my CTSV wagon and looking to get into a 911. This will primarily be a toy, but I may daily it every once in awhile. I have a 5 year old so I need to figure out what car seats work, etc.. I have found threads on that subject.

i really want to stay around 30k, maybe a little more depending on the car. That $ leads me to 997.1. I ran across this listing and it seems to check off most boxes for me. The miles are a little higher than I would like, but it's well cared and documented. The seller has been a PCA member for 35 years and has owned, repaired and raced countless Porsche's over the years. He is willing to offer any advice and talk, but I would love your opinion too. It's a 3 owner car, owner number 2 bought it from his best friend. No accidents. PS4 around 60% remaining.

I'm guilty for only keeping a car for a couple of years. I haven't found one to date that I've really wanted to keep long term. I also do my best to make a good buying decision and sale for really close to what I pay or make money on the really good deals.

What do you think about this car? Thanks in advance!!

**Removed link**

Last edited by WatlbSC; 03-15-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:13 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

You must be aware that there are two issues with 997.1 cars that are rare, but if they do raise their ugly head a rebuilt engine will be needed for the price of at least 15-20k. IMS bearing issues and bore scoring. Bore scoring can happen on 997.2 engines, but considerably less than seen on the 997.1, possibly because they are older. IMS issues can be mitigated if not already done, but bore scoring cannot. Colder climate cars are more prone to bore scoring.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:16 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Looks really nice. Don't delay, someone else might snap it up. It has the IMS fix and a recent clutch, nearly new shocks, and service is up to date.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:16 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Price is good to fair if it checks out mechanically. Looks to be in great shape, some extras (center console, steering wheel, IMS, etc).

I fell it would be a no brainer if an S model. As a base I’d try to get a couple thousand knocked off.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:28 PM
WatlbSC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone, that was fast! There are so many cars for sale it's overwhelming. I'm trying to approach this as I have done in the past and only buy private party. The issue here is inventory is very slim at that point. I guess people don't want to deal with private party sale with these?

Regardless, I want a documented car because I know the next guy is going to also ask. I will also have it inspected at a dealer.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:15 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Good call removing the link it sounds like it was a good deal
Old 03-15-2019, 10:48 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by WatlbSC
Thanks everyone, that was fast! There are so many cars for sale it's overwhelming. I'm trying to approach this as I have done in the past and only buy private party. The issue here is inventory is very slim at that point. I guess people don't want to deal with private party sale with these?

Regardless, I want a documented car because I know the next guy is going to also ask. I will also have it inspected at a dealer.
Private party is the way to go. You buy the seller just as much as you buy the car. That car was taken care of. Hope it checks out on inspection.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:46 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

My background is also big V8s and modified turbo cars. I found the low end and mid range torque of the 911 engine to be disappointing. This is offset by relatively light weight and very quick responses. But, I still struggle to deal with some aspects of owning a 911 that I never thought of before.

Quick Reply: Advice requested - Another about to buy thread :)