Sponsored by:

Battery low indicator

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 11:45 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 731 Posts
Default Battery low indicator

My Interstate battery is 4.5 years old. I've put 85K miles on the 2010 C4S PDK during that time but the last two months it's been mostly garage time. I had an almost no start situation a month ago, so the battery has seen a low charge condition.

Today I opened the garage and the flashers were on. I couldn't turn them off.

I started the car and then could turn them off. So I drove 25+ miles to the office (that trip has dropped to one day a week this year ... thus the limited use since I've been driving the truck more as I remodel the house).

I parked, shut down, and in a minute the flashers turned on again.

I checked the battery ... 11.8 volts. Started the car and with the alternator assisting I could shut the flashers off. Shut down and got the flashers.

I've disconnected the battery to reset things (and save the battery for the trip home) multiple times. The problem is consistent.

It would seem that my car opts to turn the flashers on when the voltage is low.

Gremlins!!!

I'll grab a new battery next week and report back.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

That's interesting. You'd think the car would not want to further kill the already low battery. Sounds like you have a suicidal car LOL.

About 5 years is all you can expect from a battery, though I got 12 out of the Optima in my 914 that sees very limited use and is always on a Tender.

I think Optima makes a new yellow top in the 997 size with the correct post orientation. I've only been buying yellow tops lately (914, boat) as it seems like the right balance of deep cycle recoverability and cranking power.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:43 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 731 Posts

Finished digging, framing, and rebar quicker than expected today so picked up a new battery on the way to grab a pallet of cement.

Put the battery in and the flashers were off ... for about one minute. Now they are back on 8(

If I open or close the driver's door the flasher indicators on the tachometer flash between 10 and 16 times and then go off. Meanwhile the flasher switch flashes continuously as well as the outside lights.

Not having any luck prying the vent panel out of the dash to inspect the switch.

I've got a charger on the battery for the night but am not optimistic (the new battery is reading 12.24 volts and with the motor on it is above 13, but the flashers now stay on regardless. Might be time to visit the dealer 8(

Meanwhile, Optima says they don't have a replacement for the 997.2. I used Optima batteries in the early 90s to power a portable lift system I designed. I would love to have a yellow top option.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

Meanwhile, Optima says they don't have a replacement for the 997.2. I used Optima batteries in the early 90s to power a portable lift system I designed. I would love to have a yellow top option.
Wayne,

I have Optima 34R batteries in both my 997s. You have to modify the hold down since it's smaller than the original, but works perfectly once installed.

Here are the dimensional specs on the 34R pictured above

And on the new H6

Here's a graphic on what the internals look like

The H6 is the one I'll be trying if one of my 34R goes bad. The only potential issue I see is the length of the ground cable possibly reaching to the corner, but that's not a long cable and it just attaches to the chassis right next to the battery, so if I need to change that for a new one, that's easy enough to do in order to be able to run the new H6 battery.

Let us know the fitment results if you give it a shot.

Pete
Old 03-14-2019, 07:18 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Wayne,

I have Optima 34R batteries in both my 997s. You have to modify the hold down since it's smaller than the original, but works perfectly once installed.

Here are the dimensional specs on the 34R pictured above

And on the new H6

Here's a graphic on what the internals look like

The H6 is the one I'll be trying if one of my 34R goes bad. The only potential issue I see is the length of the ground cable possibly reaching to the corner, but that's not a long cable and it just attaches to the chassis right next to the battery, so if I need to change that for a new one, that's easy enough to do in order to be able to run the new H6 battery.

Let us know the fitment results if you give it a shot.

Pete
The Optima H6 will slide all the way towards the driver's side to fit under the tray lip so the negative terminal should be about the same position as your 34R Red Top - I think you'll be OK.

Quick Reply: Battery low indicator