Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie 997 maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 10:35 AM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd suggest replacing the coolant tank while you are in there with the water pump/thermostat - even if it is NOT showing signs of cracking yet. It's relatively an inexpensive part you are about 80% of the way there when you lower the engine to replace the water pump. I'd recommend the purchase of a cable style clamping pliers as the clamps at the rear and underneath the tank are rather difficult to access without one. Also - do your research on the lower temp thermostat - there are varying opinions as to its use.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:50 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

I would drive it for awhile before i did a coolant flush and car with 40K + is still a baby and fluids today are designed to last much longer than that ....as for the water pump my good friend is a master Porsche gold mechanic and when i asked him about replacing my water pump on my 80k 911 he said don't bother ... he said he has seen where guys replaced them proactively and 2 yrs later had to replace them again and he has seen many others where the pump was never replaced and when inspected or torn down for other reason the pump was still perfect. He said those pumps are hit and miss and overall failure rate is low and replacing does not ensure it may not fail again in the distant future ... If it ain't broke don't fix it i guess ...

Quick Reply: Newbie 997 maintenance questions