Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Oil Additives and other Preventative Measures?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 07:27 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
What is the base stock used for some of these synthetics? If the they are polyol esters, how do they deal with seal swell? For example, Mobil 1 (and some other synthetics) is based on polyalphaolefins. PAOs by themselves can extract some plasticizers from some thermoset elastomers. Mobli adds some polyol ester to the mix to compensate for this. Are polyol ester based lubes compatible with the seals and elastomers used in a Porshce engine? Are they compatible with the piston coatings? Some elastomers are compatible with polyol esters but not PAOs and there are elastomers that are compatible with PAOs and not polyol esters. I use the same lubricant as the label attached to inside of my engine compartment lid - Mobil 1.
Don’t spend any time on trying to suss out formulations. I’ve been an AMSOIL Dealer for 21 years and do not know the company’s formulations. They’re proprietary, as are those of all the other oil companies. Use a Porsche approved A40 oil and your engine will get the protection you want.

Quick Reply: 997 Oil Additives and other Preventative Measures?