Sponsored by:

Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 02:08 PM
pbxtr!!
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Suspension question

My '06 997 cabrio is not solid as I expected it to be. It may be because I previously had "softer" Boxsters and BMWs. Or maybe there is a loose / worn rear bushing that I can not find.

It rides good over most road imperfections but when I drive over the lane reflectors my rear suspension does not seem to adsorb the shock as I think a quality sports car should.

I feel it makes too loud / sharp a thump, seemingly from where the rear struts mount to the body on top. Both sides make the same thump by the way.

I bought the car over two years ago with 35K miles and now is nearing 50K. The condition has been there since day one.

Is this normal?
Old 03-05-2019, 02:51 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

How are your tires? Did you check for any leaks? At 50K you might be due for new shocks.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

That's actually pretty normal for the 911. You have a wider, flatter, rear tire than you had on your Boxster with a lower profile sidewall and the engine further rearward, which means the suspension back there is also a little stiffer to support that extra weight. Depending on how old your tires are, the rubber may be less flexible than ideal, which could make them harder and make this effect harsher. Also, are you running the proper pressure. I assume you're like the rest of us that usually have a pretty light load in the 911 so the pressures you should be using are the lower pair of numbers, not the fully loaded numbers which are higher. I run 35 F / 40 R in my car and 33 F / 38 R in my wife's car. If you're considerably higher than these, try these #s and see what you think. The F to R pressure differential is important, so don't just set them all to 35 PSI.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by pbxtr!!
My '06 997 cabrio is not solid as I expected it to be. It may be because I previously had "softer" Boxsters and BMWs. Or maybe there is a loose / worn rear bushing that I can not find.

It rides good over most road imperfections but when I drive over the lane reflectors my rear suspension does not seem to adsorb the shock as I think a quality sports car should.

I feel it makes too loud / sharp a thump, seemingly from where the rear struts mount to the body on top. Both sides make the same thump by the way.

I bought the car over two years ago with 35K miles and now is nearing 50K. The condition has been there since day one.

Is this normal?
Normal.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:49 PM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Normal, but it will be worse/amplified with older tires that are starting to harden. If they are over 5 years old, it’s probably time to replace them.

Originally Posted by pbxtr!!

Is this normal?
Old 03-06-2019, 06:56 PM
911Gr8tness
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 60 Posts

I've owned a 06 C2S coupe, and now a '06 C2S Cab. The coupe when going over rough patches on the road, you would feel it through the dash sometimes quite hard. The cab is surprisingly quiet.

The rear noise from the struts could be a worn strut top mount bushing, I recently starting hearing it. Just replaced mine along with new pro-kit springs and the noise is gone.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

I said it is normal, but should have added that lane deflectors were designed for large cars with soft suspensions and high sidewall tires... Road construction and maintenance has deteriorated and that is the problem.

Quick Reply: Suspension question