Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extending rear tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019 | 12:04 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Default Extending rear tire wear

For those that don't track their car, I found the rear negative camber spec for Pcar's are quite severe. While this setup is perhaps ideal for those that track their car, but for regular street driving I find it is not necessary. I set mine to a more neutral camber on the rear and I am getting over 30K miles on the rear and it is still good for another 10K miles. The severe rear tire wear is even more prominent for those that use wheel spacers with a combination of staggered wider rear tires.. I don't track my Pcar and quite honestly I can't tell the difference of more negative vs neutral camber both in performance and visual effect. I did it to my BMW also and I was able to get 60K miles out of a set of tires. Just keep in mind our Pcar's suspension is quite dynamic. Adjusting one parameter will affect another setting. A camber adjustment will affect toe-in and it has to be compensated also.
Old 03-05-2019 | 12:15 PM
LexVan
Banned

Long tirelife is over-rated.
Old 03-05-2019 | 12:46 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Running neutral or zero camber (and even moreso minimal toe!) will extend tire life while driving in a straight line; that is true. But running zero camber while carving corners will cause excessively rapid wear on the tires' outside shoulders, negating whatever longevity benefits were obtained in a straight line.

Consider using your wonderful 911 as its maker intended. :-)
Old 03-05-2019 | 12:48 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LexVan
Long tirelife is over-rated.
+1

New shoes are always nice to have.
Old 03-05-2019 | 01:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Itr's not camber that affects rear tire inside wear. It's toe-in. If you love 911s and know how to drive them... keep camber untouched and minimize rear negative toe-in.
Old 03-05-2019 | 02:10 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

I believe these cars are set up at the factory to optimize handling at the expense of ( who cares?) tread life. Folks, that's what these car were designed and manufactured for.......extreme handling. If you put on a lot of commuting miles with these cars you are going to go through tires. Mine is a weekend fair weather toy. It has extreme handling capabilities and the rear tires last about 12 K miles. I get about 4 years of use out of the rears. My daily driver is a VW Golf S with long wearing, cheap to replace, difficult to damage, 65 series tires. Why compromise the handling characteristics of a 911 for tires?
Old 03-05-2019 | 02:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I believe these cars are set up at the factory to optimize handling at the expense of ( who cares?) tread life. ...
True with the exception that the factory sets rear negative toe-in near the max of its range to make the car understeer and make it safer for the average driver.

Reducing rear negative toe-in makes the car mostly neutral and eliminates rear inner tire wear, while maintaining proper negative camber. This is counter-intuitive for the average owner who thinks that rear tire wear is due to camber. Of course, minimizing rear neg toe-in is not for the average driver...
Old 03-05-2019 | 02:55 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Running neutral or zero camber (and even moreso minimal toe!) will extend tire life while driving in a straight line; that is true. But running zero camber while carving corners will cause excessively rapid wear on the tires' outside shoulders, negating whatever longevity benefits were obtained in a straight line.

Consider using your wonderful 911 as its maker intended. :-)
The adjustment towards neutral camber is a reference only. I'm referring to the excessive negative camber from the factory and it is of course ideal for the track. My reference in adjusting towards neutral doesn't mean flat neutral with the car loaded. The factory camber calls for -1.4 degrees, and my preference is towards -.7, which is still negative camber but not as excessive as the factory. As I said, I don't track and I doubt 90% of the Pcar owners here track theirs. Suspension tuning is all a compromise and a bit of adjustment towards neutral camber is still a very high threshold as far as handling that more than the vast majority of drivers ever are capable of. You are right, adjust towards neutral camber will enhance oversteer (less toe-in) and might get a few drivers in trouble.
Old 03-05-2019 | 03:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
The adjustment towards neutral camber is a reference only. I'm referring to the excessive negative camber from the factory and it is of course ideal for the track. My reference in adjusting towards neutral doesn't mean flat neutral with the car loaded. The factory camber calls for -1.4 degrees, and my preference is towards -.7, which is still negative camber but not as excessive as the factory. As I said, I don't track and I doubt 90% of the Pcar owners here track theirs. Suspension tuning is all a compromise and a bit of adjustment towards neutral camber is still a very high threshold as far as handling that more than the vast majority of drivers ever are capable of. You are right, adjust towards neutral camber will enhance oversteer (less toe-in) and might get a few drivers in trouble.
Sorry! But you are wrong. Read my posts and ask people who know.
Old 03-05-2019 | 03:13 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

As I said, everything is a compromise. OK, you are absolutely right then....if that is where you are coming from.
Old 03-05-2019 | 04:06 PM
jstdenis
Advanced

I have 2005 Carrera with right rear showing uneven wear; inside face is wearing faster than mid to outside. Left rear is fine. Which is it; camber or toe in?? Tx. Tires were fine until I had an alignment about 7K miles ago.
Old 03-05-2019 | 04:13 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

I don't track mine either, which is why I went to Bridgestone High Performance Pole Postion RE970AS. On my second set now, getting over 25K on the rears and almost 40 on the fronts and they're less than half the cost of the Michelin or Perelli summer tires.
Old 03-05-2019 | 09:19 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by jstdenis
I have 2005 Carrera with right rear showing uneven wear; inside face is wearing faster than mid to outside. Left rear is fine. Which is it; camber or toe in?? Tx. Tires were fine until I had an alignment about 7K miles ago.
Sounds to me like you’ve got an alignment issue. If the wear showed up after the alignment and is only on one side, I’d start there first. Have another shop check it. While a lot of things could cause that, I like to go by the adage that when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.
Old 03-06-2019 | 06:40 PM
rw229
Pro

This is is the correct answer. Leave the camber where it is, 1.5ish. Excessive toe is what kills rear tires and make the car want to understeer. Reducing rear toe will make the car more balanced/neutral, turn better and have better tire wear.

Originally Posted by ADias
True with the exception that the factory sets rear negative toe-in near the max of its range to make the car understeer and make it safer for the average driver.

Reducing rear negative toe-in makes the car mostly neutral and eliminates rear inner tire wear, while maintaining proper negative camber. This is counter-intuitive for the average owner who thinks that rear tire wear is due to camber. Of course, minimizing rear neg toe-in is not for the average driver...
Old 03-06-2019 | 10:49 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Maybe dumb question. I'd like fairly even tire wear all things considered. Why wouldn't I want less negative toe-in and more neutral handling? I may do an occasional DE but mostly commute and will do some not unreasonably aggressive backroad drives ie no dumba$$ street driving. Is more neutral handling more or less important for AWD? I worked to learn the street limits of previous vehicles that had a lot less rear rubber including BRZ and current S2000?

Quick Reply: Extending rear tire wear