Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on 997TT PPI (overrevs etc)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 02:26 AM
ashokn225
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on 997TT PPI (overrevs etc)

Hey guys,

I've been a long time member of places like Teamspeed, 6Speed and the like and finally ready to make the jump into buying a serious car, a 2007 997TT and I can't be more excited. However, I am slightly unfamiliar with the consequences or risks around overrevs and other general issues with the car. I've done some reading on here and elsewhere and it seems like I should pass, but the color combo is very very special and I love the car.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a summary of the main points of what the PPI has said:

Engine: Power steering fluid leak, coolant pipes not pinned. Everything else looks great.
Suspension: Perfect Condition
Computer: No codes appearing now.

And I've attached the overrevs issue --- 1595 Total hours on the car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:21 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ashokn225
Hey guys,

I've been a long time member of places like Teamspeed, 6Speed and the like and finally ready to make the jump into buying a serious car, a 2007 997TT and I can't be more excited. However, I am slightly unfamiliar with the consequences or risks around overrevs and other general issues with the car. I've done some reading on here and elsewhere and it seems like I should pass, but the color combo is very very special and I love the car.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a summary of the main points of what the PPI has said:

Engine: Power steering fluid leak, coolant pipes not pinned. Everything else looks great.
Suspension: Perfect Condition
Computer: No codes appearing now.

And I've attached the overrevs issue --- 1595 Total hours on the car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There's a separate forum for the turbos - you might ask over there too...maybe more/different responses.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,701 Likes on 4,258 Posts

That's a pass with Range 4 overrevs only 3 engine hours ago and a pile of them (1,587 of them) - that was a big money shift - see how the time stamp for ranges 1, 2, 3, and 4 are all at the same hour mark and each higher ranges has progressively fewer ones - this was a real incident, not some of the ghost ones you see with 1-3 overrevs in a range and probably happened during a recent test drive, or the PO did it and was worried about the motor, so traded it.

If it's at a dealership that will warranty the motor for you for the next 100 hours, then tell them you'll consider it, otherwise, I'd walk away from it. You'll also need to spend a few thousand to have the coolant pipes pinned or replaced with upgraded ones - hard to believe there are turbos running around out there that still haven't had this very serious problem addressed, but I guess a lot of these owners don't know the cars and just get in and drive them until they have a problem, then start looking into it and - bam, there's all this info out there.

Sorry.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:50 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I agree with Petza's remarks, you don't want overrevs in ranges 4,5, or 6. Since the range 4 overrev just happened, I would want some kind of buyback or maintenance agreement if a problem occurs. That's could cost some serious $$ if the cylinder are damaged.

Quick Reply: Need advice on 997TT PPI (overrevs etc)