Sponsored by:

Pentosin leak from near slave cylinder, need help pinpointing

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 03:24 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pentosin leak from near slave cylinder, need help pinpointing

Took the car out of winter storage mode today. Tried to start it multiple times but the battery is dead. So I tried to jump it however it didn't work. I noticed after all this though that I have a pretty nasty Pentosin leak dripping down from above the differential and running along passed the passenger axle. I assumed it was the slave cylinder or accumulator so I got in the car and pumped the clutch pedal 3 times and fluid again started pouring out from above the transmission. I tried to pinpoint it but saw and felt absolutely nothing coming from the slave or accumulator. The leak is definitely in that area though.

So my question is what else is up there that could be Leaking? I'm in a bit of a hurry to get this fixed (need the car in 2 weeks). Is it for sure the slave cylinder or could it be something else?

Old 02-23-2019, 07:57 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 696 Likes on 433 Posts

IS that fluid hydraulic fluid, or coolant? You said Pentosin but that is not definitive.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:21 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

It's from the clutch system
Old 02-24-2019, 07:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Over here in the The States, the hydraulic clutch system shares it's fluid with the braking system, which would be DOT 3 or 4 Brake fluid, which isn't green, it's more golden brown. Green Pentosin fluid like that is used for the power steering, but not the brakes or clutch, at least over here, unless that's also what you're using for brake fluid.

If so, then it looks like that fitting with the red seal around it is leaking. It's also possible, since you say that the car has been in storage, that a mouse or rat has chewed through a hose unless you had put rodent deterrents around the car while it was being stored (traps, poison, etc).
Old 02-24-2019, 10:01 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 358 Posts

^ pretty sure the OPs car is a turbo, thus the shared clutch slave and power steering being shared..

Common failure on the turbos, clutch slave and/or accumulator need replacing. It's been done on my car when under CPO.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:19 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saabin
^ pretty sure the OPs car is a turbo, thus the shared clutch slave and power steering being shared..

Common failure on the turbos, clutch slave and/or accumulator need replacing. It's been done on my car when under CPO.
Correct. It's a US Spec Turbo so the PS and clutch system share the same fluid.

I haven't been able to get under the car while someone pumps the pedal (my next step) but I did take a better look around yesterday. I see no evidence of a leak from any of the lines. The entire slave on the driver side of the car (where the lines go into) is dry. Also nothing dripping from up above. The only part of the slave which I haven't really been able to look or feel is the passenger side which is coincidentally the side of the transmission the fluid is dripping down.

I did check the reservoirs and the front is low while the PS seems to be just fine, so this is indicating that the leak is only draining the clutch system and not the PS system though they are both connected.

Is my issue 100% the slave? If so I'll just buy the part and install it but $600 is a bit of coin to throw at a maybe. A couple other things worth mentioning is that when you pump the pedal you can hear a squeaking under the car (never heard this before) and the pedal feels very firm though this has always been the case and it usually loosens up to normal when you start the car

Quick Reply: Pentosin leak from near slave cylinder, need help pinpointing