Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Onwer's Manual - No warmup - Do you read?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 08:21 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts
Default Onwer's Manual - No warmup - Do you read?

2009 C2S 130K miles.

OK, do you read your manual? Do you agree with what is in there or do you know better?

Please describe areas of the owner's manual you feel are controversial and why?

Read the last two bullets (Fs?) under "Starting the Engine" . No mention of reaching operating temperature and definitely no idling to warm up.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 02-19-2019, 08:45 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm a newbie, so I'll bite. Idling 1 minute does no warmup obviously. I've seen here and elsewhere people have said letting fast idle go to normal idle is fine or what they do. That's a minute or less in warm weather or 1-2 min in freezing temps. I'd be happy with any definitive answer. Manual implies hitting 4k rpm is ok during first 5 minutes too, something I don't do as well, so I guess I'm going to have to adjust there as well
Old 02-19-2019, 08:54 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Porsche or Chevrolet, no manufacturer I’m aware of recommends idling until warmed up. It’s bad for engines.

The best warm up is always driving at moderate speeds until the coolant and oil is up to temperature.

I know now a guy whose wife has a remote starter on her car and she lets it run for 30 minutes or more every morning so it can warm up and heat the interior in the winter and cool the cabin down in the summer. I’d love to compare the wear in that engine with one that hasn’t seen that abuse.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:22 PM
BradtheAg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My approach is no idling, drive immediately, keep it under 3500 RPM and be mechanically sympathetic until oil is up to operating temp.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:28 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

I've read that part in the manual too but remember, it's illegal for cars to idle in Germany hence the "drive immediately" and "never leave the engine idling unattended" designation. Jake Raby mentions how the environment was one of the factors of bore scoring.

Section 30 of the StVO (German Road Traffic Licensing Regulations)
states:
“When operating a vehicle it is forbidden to produce
undue noise and avoidable air pollution from exhaust
fumes. Especially prohibited is the unnecessary idling
of engines.”
According to the LImSchG (Federal Immission
Control Act) and the StVO it is against the law to
wilfully and knowingly violate these paragraphs.
Violation can result in a heavy fine.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:15 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

I just sold an FJ Cruiser. I had a remote start and would let it idle to warm/cool for 5-10 min before running out of the house.

Sold with 316k miles and got the same mpg it did the day I brought it and burned zero oil.

I don't do this with the 911 or the Cayenne. Nor will i. ....

Cw
Old 02-20-2019, 12:29 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Let's be sensible, 1 min is fine, 10 min is wrong. Start the engine, wait until the revs decrease to the normal value (8-900), about 1 min or so, and drive sensibly. That 1 min wait gives the oil a chance to circulate and coat the internals... That has long been my procedure for every vehicle I have ever driven from a cold start.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:46 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

So you own a coveted sports car that was engineered to the degree that the ignition key position would save you a few seconds off the start.. but you've to wait a few min to drive off..
Old 02-20-2019, 09:15 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

2008 535xi, twin turbo, direct injection. Kids drove it for a few years. Sat outside. The youngest has to go out and start it and clean it. Probably idles 20 minutes every monrning from Dec-Feb. Car has 200K miles and burns no oil.

As a side note, living in Ohio, I am a fan of global warming. Don't really care what happens in FL or CA. Give me 10 more degrees all year round and I am good.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
So you own a coveted sports car that was engineered to the degree that the ignition key position would save you a few seconds off the start.. but you've to wait a few min to drive off..
Pretty sure at le Mans in the old days the engines were already warmed up before the running start, but I see the irony
Old 02-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

l’ll release a video soon that goes over the way l start up, and drive these cars.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Thanx Jake... always appreciated.

FWIW, I wonder...... when I read this stuff in my manual.... the PTX oil is another example....... I wonder if Porsche really knows something and these short sentences are very purposefully entered into this documentation. The alternative explanation for these items are text to describe "just good driving practices" ..... similarly, instructions that include "don't use the hairdryer in the tub" stuff..... or from the more cynical side, it is just there to meet one country's legal constraints. I will note, however, that the USA is by far Porsche's biggest market FWIW.

My father used to say, back in the '70s, "Follow your manual and your car will last... most people don;t do this". He was a traveling salesman and put tons of miles on his cars starting back in 1950. Granted it was a different world back then, but........ Now having said this, I change my oil more frequently at 5K instead of the prescribed 10K........ can "more" be worse?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-20-2019, 12:10 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by BradtheAg
My approach is no idling, drive immediately, keep it under 3500 RPM and be mechanically sympathetic until oil is up to operating temp.
I've always been told that this is the correct way to warm up a car, to apply gentle load to it pretty much immediately and drive sedately while it's cold. I think letting it sit idling in the driveway was a holdover from the carburetted days, IIRC.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:38 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
good one.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:45 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Remote start for 10-15 min is far better option than I use on rental cars in cold weather. I use the rapid warm up process.
Get in. Start car and floor it and keep close to redline, heater blows warm air within 45-90 seconds. Even if 15 degrees outside. Takes practice to keep near redline, most cars now immeadiately try to drop rpm’s down to idle unless you feather the peddle correctly.
Within 3-4 min windshield warm enough to use washer fluid and wipers to clean off. Roll down/up all but drivers window and de snow/ice. Drive away!
The official term in car manual is RWU. The unofficial term is never buy a rental car coming out of service.
How we do synchronized power slides is another discussion but also reason not to buy rental car.

Quick Reply: Onwer's Manual - No warmup - Do you read?