Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobile 1 0W40 Oil: API SN Plus was developed to help prevent LSPI.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:09 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Keep it under 4krpm, of course do not lug the engine, and do not stab the throttle; if you need to accelerate downshift 1 cog and accelerate gently. But... even when you see the oil temp reaching 200F I would not go full on, because the engine block temp still is not uniform, right when the gauge reaches 200F, in the very cold ambient.
You are describing a car that isn't much fun to drive except down south. I can count the number of times I saw the oil reach 200F last year, on one hand. It is consistently 175F except in heavy traffic, where it becomes academic. I'm not saying you are wrong, it's just one more reason I may have made a bad choice.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
You are describing a car that isn't much fun to drive except down south. I can count the number of times I saw the oil reach 200F last year, on one hand. It is consistently 175F except in heavy traffic, where it becomes academic. I'm not saying you are wrong, it's just one more reason I may have made a bad choice.
My car rarely gets to or above 200 in the winter.... I don't care.... I have fun with the car. Your concept of a bad choice is worrying about what one of us knuckle-heads writes on the 'net. Really? C'mon.... have fun with the car. Allowing for a reasonable warm up just makes good car ownership sense and is true of any car.

I am in a feisty mood!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-17-2019, 10:25 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I am not giving any advice because I have no clue..... I follow my own neurosis and my owner's manual, and for oil, I use Mobil 1, one of the A40 oils Porsche recommends in my owner's manual. I change my oil at 5K because I am neurotic and I think at 6K miles or more, my engine sounds different... in other words, when I change my oil at say 7K, the engine immediately sounds quieter... so at 5K, the sound is neutral after a change. Am I doing something "good"? I have no idea. As I noted above, I believe (couch potato reasoning) that the aftermarket can formulate "better" oil. I don't know what that is, nor do I really care. Is the Porsche certification a money grab scam? I don't think so at all but I don't have the science to back that up. I reacted to Mr Petza's comment because our airwaves and 'net are full of conspiracy theory and they irk me. Are folks deluded when they use an alternative oil? I have no idea and don;t care. I also do not read oil threads.... sorry I weighed in.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
This. 2010 C4S PDK. 120K miles. Mobil One 0W40 with filter every 5K miles. Gentle warm up until oil temp stabilizes (well, as stable as the cooling system will allow). No indications of any problems. Knock on wood!!!
Old 02-17-2019, 10:44 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,735 Likes on 4,285 Posts

Boy, the cynicism.... I don't jump to that level that quickly. First, Porsche has a real issue in serving its customers... the company sells product globally and desires its customers use a good product they can buy globally... and from model to model, year to year. I would assume, Porsche does not want their customers using sub-quality product. This pretty much eliminates, small niche oil formulators.

Further, all car makers have been moving to longer-life fluids... I really don't know why, but I do remember 3K oil changes as prescribed by makers. Again, this may eliminate small niche oil formulators who are trying to address a particular need or issue. Prescribing an oil and a certification system is good business and I suspect it is intended to keep warranty claims down too. I just don;t believe you can receive an A40 certification by simply writing a check to Porsche.

Matching oil to an engine requires development and work..... while this does not mean Mobil 1 A40 is the best you can put into our cars for all uses, I just don't at all believe it is poison. I get that as these cars age, the wear and weaknesses of a "new" engine like the 9A1 can not be fully understood in bench development or mules. Information will emerge and yes, it makes sense to me that a "better" oil formulation can better be matched to the realities of use. However, I still don't believe Mobil 1 is poison or the certification system is a profit scheme (like Porsche-branded pens).

If you were Porsche senior management, you want to know what to expect in warranty claims among many other aspects of ownership and dealer engagement. Senior management specifies to engineering a mileage to design for among many other design and performance specs... would you be happy if your engineers were developing engines on anything other than what you tell customers to buy? Now you have to kinda remove the M96/M97 out of this equation a bit because Porsche developed those engines under severe financial duress.....

In my little brain, I feel that if you are concerned about oil, then just change it more often... I do ever 5K. Porsche's development of their engines with Mobil 1 is real. Whether the car was developed to the oil or visa versa years ago....... I just don;t believe it is poison. Yes, better exists and can be formulated by the aftermarket..... but jeez. C'mon.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
My comments are based on the UOA I've done on all my engines for about the last 5 years at every oil change. In the 997s, I can tell you that the additive package in Mobil 1 starts to break down in as few as 3,000 miles where the viscosity and flashpoint are low and the acidity is high. Motul 8100 xcess is much better then M1 in these areas and is also A40 approved. If you're worried about A40 approval, my personal analysis shows Motul to be the better choice.

The problem with A40 approval is that mainstream oils contain lower levels of both Zinc and Phosphorous because they have to protect the catalytic converters, but these components (often referred to as ZDDP) are needed to protect the valve train in the motor. Both Motul xcess and DT40 have higher levels of ZDDP than M1. DT40 maintains a higher viscosity and Flashpoint than the Motul.

My point was that my results from M1 and Motul are very different from each other, yet both are A40 approved oils. I would think that 2 oils that carry the same approval rating would have very similar characteristics, yet my UOA reports suggest otherwise, which is what makes me question the whole A40 approval thing.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:39 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

If M1 breaks down in 3k miles at $5 a quart and the DT40 for double that lasts 5k or 1 year, it is cheaper for the DIYer to use M1 at 1/3 or less the manufacturer recommendation for OCI and get adequate protection. A filter should last at least 2 fills or 6k miles whether paper or spin on. What is better for us driving in 10-30 degree weather daily, a 0W or 5W oil? I'd expect a $10-12 a quart product to be better although some expensive boutique oils do not necessarily meet the hype. I assume the A40 standard is more a minimum for Porsche, and some meet it and others beat it by varying amounts. If I had a .2 I'd probably care about the SN plus stuff more.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
If M1 breaks down in 3k miles at $5 a quart and the DT40 for double that lasts 5k or 1 year, it is cheaper for the DIYer to use M1 at 1/3 or less the manufacturer recommendation for OCI and get adequate protection. A filter should last at least 2 fills or 6k miles whether paper or spin on. What is better for us driving in 10-30 degree weather daily, a 0W or 5W oil? I'd expect a $10-12 a quart product to be better although some expensive boutique oils do not necessarily meet the hype. I assume the A40 standard is more a minimum for Porsche, and some meet it and others beat it by varying amounts. If I had a .2 I'd probably care about the SN plus stuff more.
The breakdown of reduced viscosity and Flashpointyou could potentially prevent with a shorter service interval. The problem with the shorter oil change interval hypothesis is that with the M1, the ZDDP numbers aren't really high enough, even when the oil is brand new so you're missing that valvetrain protection all the time.

Everyone can choose to care for their motors however they'd like. If saving $50 per oil change is important to you and you trust in the A40 approval stamped on the bottle then continue down that path. I'd rather pay a little extra once or twice a year and use an oil that the experts have told me is better for my engine that I've seen substantiated by my own UOA reports, but by no means am I trying to force my choice onto anyone. I don't receive any kickbacks or compensation from anyone at Driven or LN or anywhere else. I'm just explaining how I care for my cars, what I use, and why.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 983 Posts

I didn't realize the A40 spec is a range of characteristics.... interesting. So does a product with more ZDDP mean less life on a catalytic converter? For those of us who keep cars a long time, that should be factored into the price/frequency equation.

Dang... I swore off oil threads......

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I didn't realize the A40 spec is a range of characteristics.... interesting. So does a product with more ZDDP mean less life on a catalytic converter? For those of us who keep cars a long time, that should be factored into the price/frequency equation.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Too much, yes, so I'm not a fan of the bottles of this additive that people pour in with their oil. First, you don't know how that's going to interact with the base stock or additive package in the oil you're using, and second, yes, you can have too much of it and shorten the life of your cats. Below 1250 ppm should not have a negative affect on the cats long term, but you want 1,100-1,200 ppm of both Zinc and Phosphorous to protect the motor.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:25 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Here is what I find weird about oil threads in a Porsche forum. If you recommend using a non Porsche fluid for the cooling system, differential, manual transmission, PDK, etc - people will go crazy

But for the engine, by far the most expensive part to replace - people will advocate using non recommended oils.

Weird
Old 02-18-2019, 06:30 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Here is what I find weird about oil threads in a Porsche forum. If you recommend using a non Porsche fluid for the cooling system, differential, manual transmission, PDK, etc - people will go crazy

But for the engine, by far the most expensive part to replace - people will advocate using non recommended oils.

Weird
That is kinda what makes them fun. People have brand preferences. Indy/racing shops have preferences. Porsche has a minimum standard. There's over a hundred percent difference in cost of options potentially. There's data from UOAs. There's guru gestalt. But there's no controlled study to show if any recommended oil or otherwise will cause more major or minor failures I've seen.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:04 PM
stripersteve
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

As a total rookie, I am pretty confused on this whole oil thing. I won't need an oil change until later this year, so I have some time to get smarter . From the bore scoring threads, sounds like the Joe Gibbs racing oils may be better for my 997.2 , but Mobil 1 seems to be what Porsche has recommended. I don't have a problem paying more for special oil if it might eliminate engine problems down the road.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:10 PM
MK95
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

American Petroleum Insititute (API) SN plus is a lubricant specification developed based on Ford, GM and Nissan engines addressing issues with recent high power density turbocharged direct gasoline engines. The 997.1 wasn’t direct injection and Low Speed Pre Ignition shouldn’t be an issue with these cars. I would keep with the oils tested and recommended by Porsche as European Specifications are very different to API...
Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by stripersteve
As a total rookie, I am pretty confused on this whole oil thing. I won't need an oil change until later this year, so I have some time to get smarter . From the bore scoring threads, sounds like the Joe Gibbs racing oils may be better for my 997.2 , but Mobil 1 seems to be what Porsche has recommended. I don't have a problem paying more for special oil if it might eliminate engine problems down the road.
I like to follow the direction and leadership of people that are smarter than I. Jake and LN engineering designed DT40 specifically for the M96/7 engines. I'm making the switch.

Cw.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:40 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

You may be correct in that. But a million Porsches have been factory filled with M1. Doesn't mean Porsche is doing their best sending a GT2RS with Walmart available oil, but maybe it really is fine. Maybe the Special Wishes Program will allow you to choose some adequate oil from factory.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:23 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I change oil every 12 months regardless of mileage (only drove 2k miles last year). Would a DT40 fill allow extending the timeframe or stay with my current schedule?

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 0W40 Oil: API SN Plus was developed to help prevent LSPI.