Sponsored by:

PSM Failure in the rain this morning

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 11:49 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm curious - how old were the tires? Old tires, say 6 or 7 years get very hard and will not grip at all - especially in the rain. That is one reason I replace my tires at 5 years no matter how much tread is left.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:03 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kisik
That was not a PSM failure. PSM was trying to save you. You have lost your traction due to water mixed with oily or slippery asphalt multiplied by old rubber. Consider this a lesson and thank technology. Glad your were shaken but not bitten at the end. You should join a local DE or autocross guys for Car Control Clinic.
Thanks, I autocrossed for the season PCA two years ago. It probably saved me from hitting someone or simple ruining my car.

The damage to the right side of the front bumper, my paint guy can take car of that. I just had that bumper painted last year to remove scratches
New rubber on the way. I have a DE event in March I want to make.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by minthral
Yep...initial reaction is to turn wheel to fix the drift, but that makes it worse. Then you panic automatically hit the brakes, which lock up. Away spinning you go. Worst case you end up in the opposite lane sideways with a truck coming your way.

Take foot off throttle and brake then gently glide the car to the shoulder. Eventually you stop and hopefully there was enough room before hitting something.

It sounds like OP did the right thing to control it and saved themselves the spin because for some reason the steering wheel was locked up...or the front was completely afloat.
I am a way old guy. I also used to drive a school bus when I was younger. I actually built this car so I have been around the block a bit. I did take the foot off the gas and the car slowed. However the hydroplaning sent me across the freeway. I was lucky. I think it could have been worse if I hadn't remembered my autocross training and bus driver training. So I like Bridgestones as I think they are pretty sticky. Only other sticky tires I would love are Falkens 462, I had them on my M5. They don't make them anymore though. I may go back to the Michelin. I just went out to the Garage and looks like the lights and the PSM is working normal now. Will probably pick up some tires tomorrow. Would love some slicks for the DE event by next month too.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:14 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porscheralph
I'm curious - how old were the tires? Old tires, say 6 or 7 years get very hard and will not grip at all - especially in the rain. That is one reason I replace my tires at 5 years no matter how much tread is left.
about 4 years old.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:49 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

PSM works but it is not infallible and does nothing when hydroplaning, but I expect Porsche drivers to know that.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

Dennis,

Glad you're OK. Do you have pictures of the front tires so we can see how worn the tread actually is on both the inner and outer, or a penny or tire depth gauge to provide us a measurement? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:38 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Dennis,

Glad you're OK. Do you have pictures of the front tires so we can see how worn the tread actually is on both the inner and outer, or a penny or tire depth gauge to provide us a measurement? Thanks.
Thanks Petz. The fronts are fine. The rears are the ones that I replaced today. Got some michelins and replaced the fronts too. Lincoln's head was covered on the fronts. Tires were old though. I also got some for the Cayenne. Now need to get the bumper fixed. My paint guy can get it in next week. Will work on a shifter issuer while it's in the garage as well.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:24 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

So car is back from paint shop. Was not much work (200.00). Now I need to get teched for the upcoming Zone 8 HPDE day in 2 weeks. I think I will also get the shifter replaced (tippy) as the key keeps getting stuck in the ignition and won't come out unless I use the little metal pin thing.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:52 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 491 Likes on 359 Posts

If your HPDE track has a skid pad take advantage. Its highly encourage (mandatory for promotion) by PCA Potomac at Summit Point. Going in a tight circle on wet pavement to learn and feel understeer and oversteer and how to react is a huge safety accomplishment.

2009 Boxster PDK w/Sport/Sport+
Old 06-17-2020, 08:04 PM
Baetensc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
One morning it was raining a bit. I was traveling and the rain started coming down a bit harder. The road was very wet. My tires on the rear are not bald but I need to replace them (Bridgestone Potenzas 305s in rear).

So I was going about 55mph on the freeway and then the PSM Failure like came on and I immediately lost control of the car and started to swerve and the steering wheel would not respond. I began to drift and thank god there was not a lot of traffic on the road. I drifted across the road and into the carpool lane. I hit the guard rail (softly as I was fortunately not going to fas). I was turned around with my rear facing the wrong way in the car pool lane. I narrowly avoided a car and was able to get back in the slow lane and get to an exit. The front end was damaged and I was able to make it home. Againg thank GOD.

So 2 year ago

I had Bilsteins B16s put on the car all around. Not had a PSM light or failure in that time. Was very scary. I didn't think that the PSM failure would cause no response from the steering. No the road was slippery. When I got home I checked the damage to the front, turned the car off and back on and no PSM failure light. Anyone experience this ? Also should I go back to the shop and have them check my suspension or is that even a factor? I have autocrossed the car with no problem a couple years ago.
Hi
This afternoon driving a porsche targa we had the exact same issue driving 100km/h on highway...
i was passanger rainy day. Suddenly i felt the car without any reason slipping rear rigth and then left it rotated 540... We smashed the wall 3 times. Also error on dashboard psm failure and sth about 4wheel control... I can 100%say this wasn t only bcs of the rain it s like the right rear wheel stoped moving and then again. We just came back from circuit and drived some cars that day and with normal slipping a car can perfectly be controled this one just smashed out of control.... There must be some serious issues with porsche psm...
Old 06-17-2020, 08:08 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

Wow, 2 similar cases in 2 different generations. This is really weird. Someone needs to pull some DME data or telemetry to see what the sensors or systems were doing when this happened.

Quick Reply: PSM Failure in the rain this morning