PSM Failure in the rain this morning - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSM Failure in the rain this morning

Old 02-11-2019, 12:49 AM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm curious - how old were the tires? Old tires, say 6 or 7 years get very hard and will not grip at all - especially in the rain. That is one reason I replace my tires at 5 years no matter how much tread is left.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:03 AM
ocmacman
User

Originally Posted by kisik View Post
That was not a PSM failure. PSM was trying to save you. You have lost your traction due to water mixed with oily or slippery asphalt multiplied by old rubber. Consider this a lesson and thank technology. Glad your were shaken but not bitten at the end. You should join a local DE or autocross guys for Car Control Clinic.
Thanks, I autocrossed for the season PCA two years ago. It probably saved me from hitting someone or simple ruining my car.

The damage to the right side of the front bumper, my paint guy can take car of that. I just had that bumper painted last year to remove scratches
New rubber on the way. I have a DE event in March I want to make.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:13 AM
ocmacman
User

Originally Posted by minthral View Post
Yep...initial reaction is to turn wheel to fix the drift, but that makes it worse. Then you panic automatically hit the brakes, which lock up. Away spinning you go. Worst case you end up in the opposite lane sideways with a truck coming your way.

Take foot off throttle and brake then gently glide the car to the shoulder. Eventually you stop and hopefully there was enough room before hitting something.

It sounds like OP did the right thing to control it and saved themselves the spin because for some reason the steering wheel was locked up...or the front was completely afloat.
I am a way old guy. I also used to drive a school bus when I was younger. I actually built this car so I have been around the block a bit. I did take the foot off the gas and the car slowed. However the hydroplaning sent me across the freeway. I was lucky. I think it could have been worse if I hadn't remembered my autocross training and bus driver training. So I like Bridgestones as I think they are pretty sticky. Only other sticky tires I would love are Falkens 462, I had them on my M5. They don't make them anymore though. I may go back to the Michelin. I just went out to the Garage and looks like the lights and the PSM is working normal now. Will probably pick up some tires tomorrow. Would love some slicks for the DE event by next month too.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:14 AM
ocmacman
User

Originally Posted by porscheralph View Post
I'm curious - how old were the tires? Old tires, say 6 or 7 years get very hard and will not grip at all - especially in the rain. That is one reason I replace my tires at 5 years no matter how much tread is left.
about 4 years old.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:49 AM
ADias
Super User

PSM works but it is not infallible and does nothing when hydroplaning, but I expect Porsche drivers to know that.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Petza914
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dennis,

Glad you're OK. Do you have pictures of the front tires so we can see how worn the tread actually is on both the inner and outer, or a penny or tire depth gauge to provide us a measurement? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:38 AM
ocmacman
User

Originally Posted by Petza914 View Post
Dennis,

Glad you're OK. Do you have pictures of the front tires so we can see how worn the tread actually is on both the inner and outer, or a penny or tire depth gauge to provide us a measurement? Thanks.
Thanks Petz. The fronts are fine. The rears are the ones that I replaced today. Got some michelins and replaced the fronts too. Lincoln's head was covered on the fronts. Tires were old though. I also got some for the Cayenne. Now need to get the bumper fixed. My paint guy can get it in next week. Will work on a shifter issuer while it's in the garage as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: