Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it still possible...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:42 PM
dmpslc
Racer

Received 287 Likes on 148 Posts

Oh, forgot to mention - you have to check the inventory EVERY DAY, they move to fast and you'll miss them if you don't.

My buddy actually spotted my car before I did, he just happened to be running through all the sites we keep an eye on before I did that day! He texted me that he was on his way and we drove straight to the dealer. When we got there they had already gotten more than a dozen emails and calls about the car.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by dmpslc
Oh, forgot to mention - you have to check the inventory EVERY DAY, they move to fast and you'll miss them if you don't.

My buddy actually spotted my car before I did, he just happened to be running through all the sites we keep an eye on before I did that day! He texted me that he was on his way and we drove straight to the dealer. When we got there they had already gotten more than a dozen emails and calls about the car.

Agreed but this can be frustrating since Cars.com, Autotrader and even Porsche USA do a horrible job of updating their inventory. Just as an example, Cars.com has a listing I was nibbling on more than a month ago only to find out it had been sold weeks earlier but is still to this day listed for sale as available. So going on two months now failing to remove a car that's long gone.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:38 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

For those of you putting deposits on out-of-state 911's, what seems to be an acceptable deposit amount with sellers (say for a $35k-$40k car) and are they typically non-refundable? I know many deposits are non-refundable by nature, but do you have an out if the car doesn't check out (i.e. PPI comes back with major repairs required) or if it's not all its cracked up to be when you see it in person? Also, do you notice if that hinders your negotiating ability?

I began my search for a 997.1 C2S MT here in Colorado about a month ago, but I'm quickly realizing that I'll need to start looking regionally, if not nationally, if I want to find a car I want anytime soon. I'm not apposed to hopping on a flight to check out a car or two. I'm just curious what kind of deposit I should be offering and what contingencies should be included.

Last edited by G.I.G.; 02-11-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:21 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
PS: the 6speed manual cars don't really need Sport Chrono the way the PDK ones do. And avoiding that wart on the dash is a win... after all, the only purpose it serves is to measure how big of a tool we all are.
Sport Chrono sharpens throttle response significantly, making heel/toe much quicker/smoother.

Not sure how a non SC manual drives but there is a very noticeable difference to me. Realize no power impact (just throttle sensitivity) but I strongly prefer driving my car in sport mode.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:23 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BG3
...to buy a good 997.2?

Several times now, I have been fooled. What looked to be a good car, did not pass muster upon PPI or with one in particular, the initial look over. The couple that were good, were sold out from under me after committing to buy but, before I could close the deal. Some of us actually have to work! Once again, I thought I had finally found the near perfect car for me. Offered the guy his ask in cash as I felt this one was fairly priced, assuming it was as presented. Now I'm getting crickets. He finally replied this morning, after almost a week, and said the car is no longer available. This has been the most frustrating process. I never imagined it being this hard to buy a car. I thought the years of working for it would have been the hard part!

Here's what I'm looking for. If you happen to see a worthy candidate, please send me a private message and please don't post it here...

'09 - '12 997.2 C2S or C4S Coupe
Prefer Blues or Grays. (May consider other colors, no black)
Manual
Sport Seats (ventilated a plus for NC but, not absolutely necessary)
S PASM preferred but not required
PSE
Bluetooth
Nav
Full leather is a bonus

Really appreciate the help this community has provided already. Thank you!
This all makes sense. You get what you pay for and there is a lot of garbage out there, unfortunately. I have no thoughts on selling mine but $60K sure as heck wouldn't budge me off my car (38K mile 4S, manual, full leather, ventilated, LSD, fister / sharkwerks exhaust, rest bone stock, second owner, to give some perspective).
Old 02-11-2019, 07:11 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 210 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
This all makes sense. You get what you pay for and there is a lot of garbage out there, unfortunately. I have no thoughts on selling mine but $60K sure as heck wouldn't budge me off my car (38K mile 4S, manual, full leather, ventilated, LSD, fister / sharkwerks exhaust, rest bone stock, second owner, to give some perspective).

Agreed. I see a good bit of value (if we are just talking 911) in what I've got. I don't want to sell, and the amount I'd take for it is higher than what I'd get for it in the states. Based of what I'd need to buy in order to be satisfied seeing my GTS go.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:27 PM
JoshGordon
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
For those of you putting deposits on out-of-state 911's, what seems to be an acceptable deposit amount with sellers (say for a $35k-$40k car) and are they typically non-refundable? I know many deposits are non-refundable by nature, but do you have an out if the car doesn't check out (i.e. PPI comes back with major repairs required) or if it's not all its cracked up to be when you see it in person? Also, do you notice if that hinders your negotiating ability?

I began my search for a 997.1 C2S MT here in Colorado about a month ago, but I'm quickly realizing that I'll need to start looking regionally, if not nationally, if I want to find a car I want anytime soon. I'm not apposed to hopping on a flight to check out a car or two. I'm just curious what kind of deposit I should be offering and what contingencies should be included.
I too am in Colorado, and last summer I put down $1000 at an Audi dealer in Las Vegas to hold a C2S for me until I was able to fly out a few days later. I called them the day they listed the car and put the fully refundable deposit down the following day. Purchase was contingent on a PPI, but dealer basically said they wouldn't drop the (very fair) price any further no matter what the PPI said. They had already done some work in house and were confident in the car.

Colorado is definitely short on 911s. I was looking Nationwide but really prioritized anywhere within a 1 day drive, which basically means Vegas, SLC, and parts of Texas.

Happy to help another Coloradoan (Im in Golden) get into a 911 - PM me if I can be of any assistance.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:54 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by JoshGordon
I too am in Colorado, and last summer I put down $1000 at an Audi dealer in Las Vegas to hold a C2S for me until I was able to fly out a few days later. I called them the day they listed the car and put the fully refundable deposit down the following day. Purchase was contingent on a PPI, but dealer basically said they wouldn't drop the (very fair) price any further no matter what the PPI said. They had already done some work in house and were confident in the car.

Colorado is definitely short on 911s. I was looking Nationwide but really prioritized anywhere within a 1 day drive, which basically means Vegas, SLC, and parts of Texas.

Happy to help another Coloradoan (Im in Golden) get into a 911 - PM me if I can be of any assistance.
I must have read your mind. I was just searching online in Vegas and SLC. I've also been looking in the Phoenix area.

Glad to hear the deposit was refundable based on the outcome of the PPI. I know there is some financial investment involved just in searching (cost of PPI's, plane tickets, etc.) but it's good to know you can get a refund of your deposit if you want out of the deal due to a negative PPI.

I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll shoot you a PM with more questions. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2019, 01:00 PM
dmpslc
Racer

Received 287 Likes on 148 Posts

$1000 refundable in SLC too.

Let me know if you need eyes on a car I'm always happy to help! The Porsche SLC guys are great to work with too.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:31 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by dmpslc
$1000 refundable in SLC too.

Let me know if you need eyes on a car I'm always happy to help! The Porsche SLC guys are great to work with too.
Thanks! PM sent

Quick Reply: Is it still possible...