Sponsored by:

997.2 cylinder check

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 01:19 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Happy to help. At the end of the day I like solving problems, and do that no matter if someone is a “customer” or not.

Let me know what you decide. This is a tough one to take seriously enough to pull the engine apart, but at the same time, it’ll be tough to overcome if the worst case scenario were to unfold.
Well if you ever give up on building engines we could always use a mind like yours at Lockheed Martin. I too love figuring things out so maybe this is a chance to take your onsite class about tearing these engines apart and doing it myself. That would be so much fun. Yes that is me being serious as I rebuilt my first Porsche when I was 15. I will let you know what I decide either way. Also another note is the LN magnetic drain plug has been in the car for since 73,000 miles so I would imagine that piece was there before the magnetic drain plug was installed. It now just rolled 86,000 miles. Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:46 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

@doclouie that sucks. I'm sorry to hear it but glad you have the best info to make an educated decision. Personally I would take it to the local dealer and have them run it up the flagpole. Likely nothing will come from it, but worth getting their input if its a manufacturing defect.

I would echo your sentiments re Jake. I had a similar situation so know the feeling. On my first oil change I found some large bits of aluminum debris in my filter. It scared the crap out of me but Jake responded immediately. He explained he had seen it before and it was drilling remnants from the oil galleries that just hadn't been properly washed out during the manufacturing process. He explained you typically would see debris like this during the break-in period, but the prior owner likely just hadn't driven the car hard enough to knock it out. I suspect they were knocked out during my first AutoX.

I would note that I brought the bits to 2 local indy's and my local dealer. They were all stumped. I went back and explained Jakes opinion and they grudgingly agreed it seemed like the most plausible explanation.

Luckily my situation ended with a happy outcome and I hope yours will too. I pulled the pan with @Wayne Smith and we found no other debris. Over the last 5 oil changes and 25k miles the filter has been spotless.

Its Jake's generosity with his knowledge, as well as others on this forum, that make this such a special community.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:46 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie

Well if you ever give up on building engines we could always use a mind like yours at Lockheed Martin. I too love figuring things out so maybe this is a chance to take your onsite class about tearing these engines apart and doing it myself. That would be so much fun. Yes that is me being serious as I rebuilt my first Porsche when I was 15. I will let you know what I decide either way. Also another note is the LN magnetic drain plug has been in the car for since 73,000 miles so I would imagine that piece was there before the magnetic drain plug was installed. It now just rolled 86,000 miles. Thanks again for your help.
Actually, when I left the USMC I had a job at Lockheed. It lasted 3 weeks. I was so bored that it felt like an eternity for lunch time to come every day. I collected one paycheck, and gave my notice. I vowed at that time to never “have a job again”.
Since that last day, I have yet to “go to work”.

I do not have a hands- on class for the 9a1 engine yet. The demand is not there at this point, probably 2 more years and things will change. We do have an online 9a1 class coming up on April 11 2019 that has openings.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Actually, when I left the USMC I had a job at Lockheed. It lasted 3 weeks. I was so bored that it felt like an eternity for lunch time to come every day. I collected one paycheck, and gave my notice. I vowed at that time to never “have a job again”.

I do not have a hands- on class for the 9a1 engine yet. The demand is not there at this point, probably 2 more years and things will change. We do have an online 9a1 class coming up on April 11 2019 that has openings.
Jake, thanks ... I'm in for the online class, having been waiting for a hands on class but ready and willing for an alternative. How do I make my sign up official?

Wayne
Old 02-27-2019, 03:29 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for your service and I appreciate your attention to detail.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:39 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Jake, thanks ... I'm in for the online class, having been waiting for a hands on class but ready and willing for an alternative. How do I make my sign up official?

Wayne
Here you go Wayne. I will probably be in there with you.

http://www.theknowledgegruppe.com/in...ss-101-online/
Old 02-27-2019, 06:20 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
So let me first start off by saying that I do not know what I am going to do at this point. There was no other metal or even metallic flakes in the oil filter or pan and nothing on the magnetic drain plug. I have several options that I need to weight the risk/reward and of course talk with my wife.

One thing I do want to point out is how Flat 6 dealt with a situation that they didn’t even need to get involved with. Not only did Jake take the time to respond to the posting, which I never thought he would see, but then took the time to investigate where the part had come from inside the engine after I sent it to him. Bronz helped with this as his engine was readily available at the point of tear down or build up to show with 100% confidence where the metal came from. Jake even posted his reply late last night after I had already gone to bed. I would have never expected this level of customer service for an individual who wasn’t even a customer, yet. Jake and Flat 6 has set a high standard that I have not seen in decades and it makes sense why he has such a stellar reputation. I cannot thank Jake and his team enough for their help.
That is why I have shipped my car to him on two different occasions.

Quick Reply: 997.2 cylinder check