Sponsored by:

Typical Rennlister?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019 | 10:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qikqbn
I have been "that guy" in the past. Stopping a block away from Car meets and pulling down a side road so I can detail my car with 10 different micro fiber towels and cleaning products. Just so I can pull in to the car meet without a spec of dirt on my car and with my car looking like it just drove off the show room floor. In a way I thank God I have loosened up just a tiny bit. It comes from realizing we can not control anything in this life. The older you get, the more that will make sense to you. We can try, but the truth is you can not control anything that happens. This level of ocd was my way and his way of trying to have control in our lives. You can not control wives, kids, dogs, people, weather, bugs, birds crapping on your car.... whatever!! BUT DAMNIT, I am going to control the cleanliness of my car even if it kills me with high blood pressure and a heart attack!

Trying to control all that attention to detail and cleanliness just took away so much of the joy of taking the car out and really enjoying it. I would find myself getting angry if I had to drive through puddles. If sprinklers were on and water was running across the road I would do all kinds of maneuvers and almost come to a complete stop so as to avoid it or not to get water sprayed up on the car too much. I would take alternate routes to avoid puddles. If I did get water on the car I would pull over and start detailing with my bag of detail products in the frunk. When I got to any destination that took a long drive I would pull down a street and detail the car and clean the brake dust off the wheels. Although to this day I am still super ocd about my cars, but I have found a detailer I trust whole hearted and is as big a car enthusiast as I am . I have learned and been able to put some of that ocd pressure on him and relax a bit. Living with that level of ocd is exhausting and frustrating. The older I get the less time I have for this ocd bs. I start to realize I am staring at specs of dust while missing this great big beautiful world that is all around me. I have started to realize the even at 50% of my ocd level I am still taking better care of my cars then 99% of the population.

Not judging this guy at all. I too can appreciate this guys success and what it takes to earn a series of nice cars. I understand his love for these cars and his obsession to keep them looking pristine and new as long as possible, because that is part of who I am too. My cars/obsessions are a big part of my identity. A big part of my daily life. That is who I have been since I was a young kid. Just love cars. That can be fun and exciting, but obsessions can be bad some times too if we care more about our cars than the people closest to us. Some times I think I need help getting over this obsession with Porsche just a bit. I think we all will find a lot more joy in this life when you can build relationships with people and be in the moment when talking to someone rather than being so distracted about cleaning that one bug that is still on his front bumper.

As my signature has said for years......."There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
Well, admitting to the problem is the first step LOL
😎
Old 01-27-2019 | 12:01 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rw229
Amazing someone would focus that much energy on a material object, but I guess everyone has their thing.
my thoughts exactly.

its not a popular view, but porsche owners can be quite a vain bunch. rennlist is not any different. its a car, not a reflection of your inner soul.
Old 01-27-2019 | 02:40 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Well, admitting to the problem is the first step LOL
😎

Hi, my name is Qikqbn, and I am a recovering OCD, **** retentive, meticulous, nit-picking, brake dust fearing, Porsche perfectionist and according to some psychologist it may be because of a lack of breast feeding when I was a baby.

I have enrolled in a 12 step program to help me with my Porsche obsession. I may start a thread to create a support group if anyone is interested in joining me .
Old 01-27-2019 | 03:00 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

To this day my wife thinks I love my Porsche cars more than her. True story, I hate to admit it, but one day my wife is rushing off to go shopping with her girlfriends. I am sitting in the kitchen eating. 30 seconds later I hear my wife swing open the garage door and yell my name like the dog is dying. I instantly remember I left one of the cars parked in the driveway in a different spot than usual while washing it. My wife was in shock and started saying something like... " I am so so so sorry , I did not see the other car in the driveway and backed up right into it". In the middle of her sentence I had managed to run from the kitchen and leap frog right over her head and ran straight into the garage to see what had happened to my babies. She did take out 2 bumpers in one maneuver, but the damage was really minor and mostly bumper scuffs that were easily fixed. To this day all she ever tells people is how my first instinct was to leap frog over her head to go check on the cars before I even asked if SHE was ok!!!! I will never live that day down. Women never forget! That's when I decided to enroll in the Porsche 12 step addiction program

Last edited by qikqbn; 01-27-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2019 | 05:44 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

He's got a video that recently posted to VinWiki's YouTube page where he describes his OCD. Made him a bit more understood in my opinion.
Old 01-27-2019 | 10:45 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Hi, my name is Qikqbn, and I am a recovering OCD, **** retentive, meticulous, nit-picking, brake dust fearing, Porsche perfectionist and according to some psychologist it may be because of a lack of breast feeding when I was a baby.

I have enrolled in a 12 step program to help me with my Porsche obsession. I may start a thread to create a support group if anyone is interested in joining me .
Lol.
Maybe aversion therapy? Drive it in the rain a couple of times?
T
Old 01-28-2019 | 03:06 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

This is a helpful thread as we can see that obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a disorder, and not a point of pride for someone to roll out as an excuse for an enthusiasm (not that I've seen that on this thread, just to be clear).

I like a clean car, and I keep mine cleaner than most, but if I'm going to drive it, it's going to get dirty. And I am going to drive it.
Old 01-28-2019 | 01:45 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

If I had to devote that much time and attention to any car, I'd be calling Uber any time I had to go some place.
Old 01-28-2019 | 02:35 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_
LOL This dude needs medication. But he's exactly who you want to detail your car!
Detail your car yes. But could you imagine being one of his kids? Lord forbid one of them spills a capri sun on the white carpet. Oh I forgot, the carpet has a clear visqueen topper with a 3M protective coating on top.

This guy doesn't have OCD....he has CDO because he put it in alphabetical order.
Old 01-28-2019 | 04:53 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

I understand where he is coming from...I just got mine under control. I clean it well and drive it and leave it dirty until next time I'm in the mood to clean. I wrapped the car also so I wouldn't have to deal with the time it takes to keep black looking great. My daily driver is a beautiful 117k miles Cayenne GTS but since it has that many miles I'm ok with it getting filthy. The answer for him is to buy a beat up GT2 RS and forget about it's looks and just enjoy the performance. That is what I have done with all my daily driver Porsches.
What is learned from being this OCD however is the skills necessary to be in demand by others that want/need their cars paint corrected and made beautiful. I work full time and then on weekends detail, paint correct, and ceramic coat my dealers cars. They love my work and I don't overcharge.
Old 01-28-2019 | 06:19 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Geez, I couldn't imagine what he'll do if he ever got into a minor fender bender.
Old 01-28-2019 | 07:18 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Lol.
Maybe aversion therapy? Drive it in the rain a couple of times?
T
Southern California weather has ruined many of us. We have a fear of rain out here. Anything more than 1/4 inch of rain in 24 hours is considered a "storm watch". At the sight of rain here people suddenly have seizures and roll/flip their cars over on all the freeways. There is no way in hell I am ever driving my P-cars in the rain, are you crazy?! Plus, then my car would be dirty

BTW... One of the dirtiest and funnest days of driving my Pcar

Last edited by qikqbn; 01-28-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2019 | 07:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that dude needs to chill out and drive.

I don't think he's typical of rennlisters. There are certainly some here like that and some who fret over future values and worrying if their car will be the next one to appreciate like the 993, but there are more drivers.
Old 01-28-2019 | 08:15 PM
jll1011
Racer

I admit to having a bit of this car OCD myself. Usually don’t drive the Porsche in rain and cold weather with my summer tires. My friends that have little interest in cars probably think I am nuts.

No matter what your level of obsession is with your cars, it’s darn fun owning a Porsche!!
Old 01-28-2019 | 09:00 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Not to get too serious but those with diagnosed mental health conditions can't simply chill out and turn it off. Takes lots of work and time.

I haven't seen this VIN video yet but watched his own videos on the topic. Sounds like doing what he's doing has helped him to some degree.

One thing I wonder is where does he have the time to do this? The behaviour is applied to all aspects of his life. I mean making OG is primary job helps I'm sure, but still.

Quick Reply: Typical Rennlister?