Sponsored by:

spoiler control fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 01:27 PM
Nitemare9
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default spoiler control fault

Somebody must be able to tell me how to disable a "spoiler control fault" without spending
a bunch of money for a PIWIS or going to Porsche to have it. I tried a bunch of scanners(emails) and ask how to do it
With no help, there. Didn't know what I was talking about.
I even tried PCA with no help, but to go to a dealer. If somebody can help, I'm in Sebastian, FL. on the East coast of
Florida. I haven't even put the spoiler on yet.
P.S. my picture is a 2017 turbo S. The car I'm trying todo this is to is a 2011 Carrera S, PDK
Old 01-25-2019, 01:35 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Find a local member or shop with a durametric pro. Takes 5 minutes. Or buy your own cable capable of coding, I believe the Foxwell 510 will do coding for under $200, and you will then own it to code other features, check CELs, etc.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:28 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,167 Likes on 3,931 Posts

In case it helps someone in a future search, here's the information I provided to you via PM. Now you just need a Rennlist member in your area who can code the option for you.

So with your car the way it is with the OEM rear spoiler, there are little microswitches that are part of the spoiler assembly. One tells the system when the spoiler is up and the other when the spoiler is down. When you hit 75 MPH or whatever that magic speed is, the controller sends the signal to raise the spoiler and then looks for feedback from the upper limit microswitch within a certain time window to know that it raised successfully. If the control module doesn't get the feedback from that microswitch in that time window, you get a "spoiler failure" message on your dash. The same thing happens after the spoiler is up and your speed drops below 45 MPH. The control module send the command to lower the spoiler then looks for feedback from the lower limit microswitch to know it's successfully down. If it doesn't get it, you get the "spoiler failure" message then too.

When you switch to a fixed wing, like a GT3 one that doesn't go up or down relative to speed anymore, you have the tell the car you've done that so it stops looking for signals from those two limit switches. Telling the car you've done this is called "coding" where you have to change the stored commands in different modules. This isn't selectable on the screen of the PCM or anywhere else as you're communicating with the car's modules much deeper than that. There are only a few tools that will get you access into the coding menus of the car, those mentioned earlier, plus the Durametric Pro model (the Durametric Enthusiast model does not have coding capability).

So, you'll either need to purchase one of these mentioned tools, take it to your indy that should have one, find a forum member who has one nearby that will do you a favor, or take it to your Porsche dealer where they will hook it up to their PIWIS system and do it for you, probably for a couple hundred dollars.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:06 AM
Nitemare9
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, I got it.Bill

Quick Reply: spoiler control fault