Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PM time on my 997.2 - What all needs to be replaced question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019 | 06:22 PM
MOXY_997.2
Intermediate

Default PM time on my 997.2 - What all needs to be replaced question

My 2010 997.2 is coming up on 60k miles. We have decided to do PM work over the winter while she is sleeping. Oil change/filter, plugs/coils, X-pipe , flush brake fluid, serpentine belt, coolant expansion tank, water pump (since we are in there anyway and they are prone??? to failure) and so on. I have been reviewing that with the water pump replacement you need to remove the exhaust manifold from the engine block (I know that it is more involved than just that). My question is, should I replace the exhaust manifold bolts at this time or just reuse the old ones.

Thanks, I am sure that I will have many more "do I need to replace" this and that questions before I start.
Old 01-22-2019 | 06:45 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

You can reuse the bolts but they are cheap. So, if you can get them beforehand, might as well replace them too.
Old 01-23-2019 | 01:15 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 130K miles

You want to replace what? For what reason? The only thing required for 60K is the serpentine belt. Oil change frequency is 10K but that is one that appears to be variable depending on your neurosis. Beyond that you are literally throwing away money and time.

If you are looking for a project, do the Numeric shifter (or other brand) or a cross pipe .... anything but removing and throwing away good parts. IMO.

Regarding manifold bolts, there is no reason to remove the manifold nor have I read anyone with manifold bolt problems. You are probably referring to the cat/exhaust bolts..... again, throwing money and time away.... unless you are doing a x-pipe, then you will need new bolts as you have a high probability of sheering one. Or, you can just try and do the work without them... if you break one, the go buy one.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-23-2019 | 01:26 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I'm with Bruce. 120K miles. Original everything except plugs, oil, filters, belt, brakes, wipers, tires.

Oh, and a front axle boot damaged by accumulated chip seal (no fault of the car).

The windshield was due to a sandstorm, but that is beyond this discussion 8)
Old 01-23-2019 | 03:04 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

I have about 70k miles on my 997.2. The water pump was redesigned over the 997.1 and I don't believe you need to preventatively replace it as it's supposed to be reliable. The coils are supposedly much improved as well. I am about to change my drive belt tensioner because of a slight noise I am hearing from that area. I also will probably change out the motor mounts in the next few months.
Old 01-24-2019 | 10:58 AM
MOXY_997.2
Intermediate

I appreciate everyone's input, thanks!
Old 01-24-2019 | 11:18 AM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

When I did plugs, I pulled off the exhaust headers from the block. (I also swapped in Fabspeed catless headers, which I have since removed and sold)

The factory headers are MUCH easier to work with than the Fabspeed headers (think curvy header pipe with the bolt behind it) - the factory header allows the bolts to go straight in/out.

I did have a full set of replacement bolts when I first installed the Fabspeed headers. When I removed them, I had two sets of used bolts. I picked the best from these; there were some remaining bolts that didn't look too good.

I would say, have some fresh bolts on hand. They are VERY easy to cross thread.

Quick Reply: PM time on my 997.2 - What all needs to be replaced question