Sponsored by:

Makassar Ebony Console and Ash Tray

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 01:18 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Makassar Ebony Console and Ash Tray

My wife did a very, very nice thing for me and tried to give me a Makassar Ebony console with matching ash tray for Christmas (to match the steering wheel, hand brake, and shift **** she gave me last year for my birthday). She ordered it through Suncoast, and when she checked by phone to make sure she was ordering the correct one, she was told that she was ordering the correct part number, and that she had gotten the *very last* OEM Makassar Ebony console available in the world for a cabriolet, but that it would have to be shipped from Germany.

Only she didn't. Roughly a month after ordering it (and it still had not shown up), she was told by Suncoast that "either another dealer got it first, or that the inventory count in Germany was bad (one short)." She was crushed, and I have to admit I am a little disappointed as well.

I know that most 997 owners would view fancy wood accoutrements as worse than unnecessary, an abomination in a true driver's car, or more Lexus than Porsche. Certainly, they cost way too much. But you have to understand that my wife and I own a cabinet shop that builds elaborate kitchens, baths, and other cabinetry out of a wide variety of exotic woods, and that having nice wood trim in our cars expresses to no small degree who we are.

Therefore, I am looking for that person who has a car with a Makassar Ebony console and ash tray in good shape who does not want it, and would rather turn the interior of their car back to its fundamental no-nonsense sports car roots. I know I have seen such posts in the past, but not recently. If such a person exists, I would like to talk to you.

Otherwise, where else I can look? I've got queries in to both Pelican and L.A. Dismantlers, but I don't hold much hope for either.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:36 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check craigslist; SF Bay area and Los Angeles. A wide range of parts become available including part-outs. I'd expand the search to other areas as well, and Ebay.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wood

Check the shops that buy wrecks to see if anyone has one
Old 01-21-2019, 11:00 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

No luck on eBay at this time. Any other ideas?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Your request will be very hard to fill. Most of the 997s were devoid of wood. (I have some in mine, makassar, too), FEW ever ordered the console or center section in wood, and ever fewer still for a cabriolet. I ticked that box myself at one time but switched it back to leather, feeling that the wood would be simply too dark for the interior. I think it will be a very long time to find one of those. I wish you luck thought!
Old 01-22-2019, 08:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,167 Likes on 3,931 Posts

When doing my wife's car, I lucked into finding one on ebay and cheap too, like $200. You may just have to be patient. If you're willing to pay top dollar (the new price), someone may trade you their wood one for a new leather or new carbon fiber one you buy as part of the deal. I think the wood and CF options are the same price.

We like the dark wood trim in our interiors too (her 997 and the Cayenne Turbo S). I prefer the CF, but you know what they say - happy wife, ...

Quick Reply: Makassar Ebony Console and Ash Tray