groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,002 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Little tough getting the car out of the garage up here in Seattle this week

Old 02-11-2019, 10:17 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 168 Posts

Funny, Wayne is the one who taught me about the crests. Certainly not something my tire dealer knew as they smashed the crap out of my caps with a screwdriver...

Pete I think you need to write the official DIY guide to proper wheel crest alignment :-)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:52 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 812 Posts

That's a sweet grouping of cars. At Nick's Cove, I assume. Was that last Friday when I couldn't get out? Thanks for the share.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:25 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

That was the crew from EASY's. Tony and I went over for cars and coffee only to find out it was cancelled. 30 guys were driving up to Nicks instead so we tagged along. Rained on the drive up but cleared when we got there.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 AM
puxi997
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=TheBruce;15597702]Yes it does. I lived in Shanghai for 10 years and you cant put a price on scenes like this..
@TheBruce - nice to see another former Shanghai-lander in the Bay Area! I’m still living in Puxi and have a 997.2 C2S which I’ve taken out to the F1 track in Jiading a few times. Now, I mostly take it for quick blasts on the elevated highway on Sunday mornings. Looking to purchase a 991.2 or perhaps the 992 for the SF home.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:08 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

@puxi997 - no way...that's awesome! We absolutely need some pics of a 997 on the Yan'an Gaojia at night. I would take my Chang Jiang 750 up there in the middle of the night...but the days when cops would let you get away with that are long gone.

How big is the 911 community in Shanghai now? When I left (in 2016) Ferraris were a dime a dozen but 911s were extremely rare. I think I only saw 1-2 in 10+ years.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:03 AM
puxi997
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 911 community has grown quite a bit, but mostly with the 991 gen cars. Very few 997s rolling around. Lots of odd custom colors. Cayennes and Macans are all the rage now.

here are a few shots of my 997, mostly at the Porsche factory owned workshop in Pudong. Other is near the Bund. Will take a shot this weekend on the Yanan Gaojia.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:30 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

That's super cool.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:25 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome cars! I half expected the "meanwhile in California" to end with " we all got tickets cause of loud exhaust."
I'll be moving to SoCal in ~8mo, so I was actually curious how bad the police out there are about that while thing I read about. Apparently you can get ticketed a min of $1000, not fix it ticket, if a cop THINKS your exhaust is too loud. watched a video of a Camaro guy dissecting the cali state code on it and found that it is loosely tied to the 95db law, decibel meter ridiculously close at a state regulated 19.5", 45 degree offset. must be under 95db at idle and ~2500rpm. how ridiculous??

Since it's a Mil PCS, I can keep my home state for registration so I don't have to worry about that part, but my exhaust is 100% NOT stock and probably louder than 95db above 2000rpm... Any of you Californians able to speak on this? Thanks!!

Last edited by Milo2361; 02-15-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:10 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Cool thread Bruce. Cool to see so many vintages out together.

Puxi, very cool info on the scene in Shanghai. I just got home from a ski trip to Japan with a few days in Tokyo. I saw very few Porches in Japan at all, but like you are seeing in China most were the SUVs. We stayed near Tokyo Station and in Shinjuku and walked through Shibuya and I thought we might see a bunch of exotic cars, but only saw 1 991, 1 Cayman, 1 Ferrari Portofino or California and a cool old Skyline (C10 GT-R I think) running some rowdy exhaust. I wish I'd caught photo or video of that Skyline because I'll probably never see one of those again.

The valve stem thing exists in bike racing too, but it is even more complicated. I built custom bike wheels as a summer job when I was in college which is where I learned all of this. The logo on the hub should be visible when looking through the valve stem hole in the rim. The spokes leading to the valve stem must be a parallel set when building a crossed spoke pattern. Sometimes the wheelbuilder will also vary the color of the spoke on the two closest the valve stem, for instance on a wheel with all black spokes, use two silver, white or red ones leading to the stem. On a standard clincher rim, the tire label should always be centered over the valve stem to make finding the stem easier, and to match a puncture location between tire and tube. On sew-up tires, it depends on the manufacturer, but labels are ALWAYS at the stem or at 180 and the manufacturer is consistent across all their own tires. A race team will almost always use only one tire manufacturer.

So coming from all that tradition, it drives me crazy on the car if they cap logo/crest and valve stem aren't aligned.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:15 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
Cool thread Bruce. Cool to see so many vintages out together.

Puxi, very cool info on the scene in Shanghai. I just got home from a ski trip to Japan with a few days in Tokyo. I saw very few Porches in Japan at all, but like you are seeing in China most were the SUVs. We stayed near Tokyo Station and in Shinjuku and walked through Shibuya and I thought we might see a bunch of exotic cars, but only saw 1 991, 1 Cayman, 1 Ferrari Portofino or California and a cool old Skyline (C10 GT-R I think) running some rowdy exhaust. I wish I'd caught photo or video of that Skyline because I'll probably never see one of those again.

The valve stem thing exists in bike racing too, but it is even more complicated. I built custom bike wheels as a summer job when I was in college which is where I learned all of this. The logo on the hub should be visible when looking through the valve stem hole in the rim. The spokes leading to the valve stem must be a parallel set when building a crossed spoke pattern. Sometimes the wheelbuilder will also vary the color of the spoke on the two closest the valve stem, for instance on a wheel with all black spokes, use two silver, white or red ones leading to the stem. On a standard clincher rim, the tire label should always be centered over the valve stem to make finding the stem easier, and to match a puncture location between tire and tube. On sew-up tires, it depends on the manufacturer, but labels are ALWAYS at the stem or at 180 and the manufacturer is consistent across all their own tires. A race team will almost always use only one tire manufacturer.

So coming from all that tradition, it drives me crazy on the car if they cap logo/crest and valve stem aren't aligned.
Great information on the bike stems. Thanks for the share!!!
Old 02-15-2019, 02:43 AM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by puxi997
The 911 community has grown quite a bit, but mostly with the 991 gen cars. Very few 997s rolling around. Lots of odd custom colors. Cayennes and Macans are all the rage now.

here are a few shots of my 997, mostly at the Porsche factory owned workshop in Pudong. Other is near the Bund. Will take a shot this weekend on the Yanan Gaojia.
Very cool. I'm normally in Shanghai about 30-40 days a year and hardly ever see a 911. I agree - tons of Macan's and Cayenne's though.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:50 AM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Milo2361
Awesome cars! I half expected the "meanwhile in California" to end with " we all got tickets cause of loud exhaust."
I'll be moving to SoCal in ~8mo, so I was actually curious how bad the police out there are about that while thing I read about. Apparently you can get ticketed a min of $1000, not fix it ticket, if a cop THINKS your exhaust is too loud. watched a video of a Camaro guy dissecting the cali state code on it and found that it is loosely tied to the 95db law, decibel meter ridiculously close at a state regulated 19.5", 45 degree offset. must be under 95db at idle and ~2500rpm. how ridiculous??

Since it's a Mil PCS, I can keep my home state for registration so I don't have to worry about that part, but my exhaust is 100% NOT stock and probably louder than 45db above 2000rpm... Any of you Californians able to speak on this? Thanks!!
The exhaust law is new, so of course it's getting a lot of chatter. IMO some "enthusiasts" have taken it too far running straight pipes, bypass valves, or no exhaust at all on their JDM or new American muscle cars. That and the bikes that are extremely loud. I think that's really why the law was put into affect, and who the cops will be ticketing.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:06 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Finally got out after 3 days of storms from the Pineapple Express. Luckily the repairs held and no new landslides.

The following users liked this post:
Kineticdg (05-12-2020)
Old 02-17-2019, 03:30 AM
pilfer
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Finally got out after 3 days of storms from the Pineapple Express. Luckily the repairs held and no new landslides.

Road from Stinson? The water looks almost tropical there.

Quick Reply: Meanwhile in California...