Sponsored by:

Phenix engineering shifter bushing install

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 10:18 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Phenix engineering shifter bushing install

I bought the Phenix engineering billet shifter bushing kit because I feel there was too much slop in the shifts, particularly going from 2-3. The installation is reasonably simple. Took me from the 2nd quarter to the 4th quarter of the game

https://phenixengineering.com/shop/p...t-bushing-kit/

Phenix made two youtube videos but they aren't the best. You can use these instructions as a supplement.
and

1. Removal of shifter found here: https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-subm...r-removal.html

2. Before removing the shifter, make sure you know the exact position of the shift cables where they insert into the connectors.

3. Also make sure you have the green clip to hold the shifter in neutral.

4. Remove the OEM plastic bushings. These have plastic clips that need to be cut/broken off in order to facilitate removal. I used a razor and a flathead screwdriver to pop them off.

5. Lubricate the interior of the billet bushing with the supplied Sil-Glyde compound. There are two grooves on the Phenix bushings. The longer groove goes on the bottom, and the shorter groove goes on the top. Once the bushings are installed, press in the snap ring to lock them into place.

That's it! Reinstallation is the reverse. I'll update after I reinstall the shifter on whether it eliminated the slop, but now that my center console is out I want to try my hand at repainting it arctic silver metallic.... hmmm.

Name:  fBIpizH.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  730.2 KB

Name:  quN9fFg.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  797.3 KB

Name:  jZTZP78.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  764.2 KB
The following users liked this post:
TheDeckMan (07-23-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 11:03 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did the same on my oem short shift kit..same thing but blue oem shifter..

extra notes.. if you use a hammer to cut off the old bushing.. make sure to remove the black shifter linkage from the bottom of the shifter.. (it will crack)

second if your shifter is new like mines was..its a waste of money.. but if you have a loose shifter then it should help..
Old 02-16-2021, 08:07 AM
jimboger1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, what was the outcome on improvement?
Old 02-16-2021, 03:03 PM
mdf008
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I felt a positive difference in both my 997.2 and 987.1 but was hoping for less slop.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:38 PM
jimboger1
Track Day

Originally Posted by mdf008
I felt a positive difference in both my 997.2 and 987.1 but was hoping for less slop.
was that just the bushes you replaced?
Old 02-16-2021, 04:48 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 315 Posts

Really pricey considering the ebay SSK with metal bushings and metal linkage is what... $45 shipped?
Old 02-17-2021, 06:18 AM
jimboger1
Track Day

Originally Posted by hexagone
Really pricey considering the ebay SSK with metal bushings and metal linkage is what... $45 shipped?
yeh but I don't want a SSK
Old 02-17-2021, 11:51 AM
mdf008
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimboger1
was that just the bushes you replaced?
I did the bushings and then added a shim cap in the white plastic pieces. Watched a youtube of this guy who showed doing it in his 987 and called it the Alex Mod. His results were virtually no slop in an OEM assembly but mine were a 50% reduction in slop and a more confident feeling "gate". Other than time spent, there was zero downside or other symptoms. Happy with the improvement but also was hoping for a bigger difference. It could be that the remaining slop was in the shifter cables and ends that connect to the shifter because before installing, the changes I made were smooth with a tight tolerance.

That video suggested using a cheap ebay SSK for the metal bushing but I was more impressed with the PE bushing and that it didn't require tightening or having to re-tighten if it got loose.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:13 PM
jimboger1
Track Day

I did the bushings and then added a shim cap in the white plastic pieces. Watched a youtube of this guy who showed doing it in his 987 and called it the Alex Mod. His results were virtually no slop in an OEM assembly but mine were a 50% reduction in slop and a more confident feeling "gate". Other than time spent, there was zero downside or other symptoms. Happy with the improvement but also was hoping for a bigger difference. It could be that the remaining slop was in the shifter cables and ends that connect to the shifter because before installing, the changes I made were smooth with a tight tolerance.

That video suggested using a cheap ebay SSK for the metal bushing but I was more impressed with the PE bushing and that it didn't require tightening or having to re-tighten if it got loose.
thanks for the comprehensive response - unsure what you mean by 'before installing, the changes I made were smooth with a tight tolerance' - so the gear changes were smoother BEFORE the mod?
Old 02-17-2021, 02:44 PM
mdf008
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimboger1
thanks for the comprehensive response - unsure what you mean by 'before installing, the changes I made were smooth with a tight tolerance' - so the gear changes were smoother BEFORE the mod?

Before installing, as in, before I put the assembly back in the car once I installed the shim and PE bushing. So that further surprised me that all the slop was not eliminated after it was installed in the car. That is just my experience with this, would be curious to hear the OP's opinion.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:17 PM
Redrag
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Installed the bushings in my car. Did not shim them, but used a good bit of the supplied grease. I like them and would do it again. More positive feel to the shifter, but I didn't mind the stock shifter to begin with. Its now on par with a 997 OEM GT3 shifter.

Last edited by Redrag; 02-17-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:44 PM
jimboger1
Track Day

Before installing, as in, before I put the assembly back in the car once I installed the shim and PE bushing. So that further surprised me that all the slop was not eliminated after it was installed in the car. That is just my experience with this, would be curious to hear the OP's opinion.
ok thanks
Old 02-17-2021, 06:45 PM
jimboger1
Track Day

Originally Posted by Redrag
Installed the bushings in my car. Did not shim them, but used a good bit of the supplied grease. I like them and would do it again. More positive feel to the shifter, but I didn't mind the stock shifter to begin with. Its now on par with a 997 OEM GT3 shifter.

thanks, did it eliminate the side to side play when in gear?
Old 02-17-2021, 08:12 PM
Redrag
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

It did tighten up the movements and eliminate play, but did not eliminate all the play. Has a more direct/ positive feel than the plastic bushings. I have never pushed my shifter side to side while in gear moving, if that helps.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:36 PM
jimboger1
Track Day

Originally Posted by Redrag
It did tighten up the movements and eliminate play, but did not eliminate all the play. Has a more direct/ positive feel than the plastic bushings. I have never pushed my shifter side to side while in gear moving, if that helps.
ok many thanks for the response

Quick Reply: Phenix engineering shifter bushing install