ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts
Default INTERESTING 997 VIDEO

Old 01-19-2019, 10:42 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

This guy is goofy, but he does present a lot of good info, especially for all the newbies that post on here asking for 997 buying advice.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:51 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 164 Posts

The buyers guide vid is a good summary of what to look for in a 997, and what to do more research on. Having just begun to search for a 997.1 myself, I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I didn't realize until watching this video that the ECU records what stage an over rev hit (rather than just recording that it was over rev'd), so I just learned something new. Thank you for posting this.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:04 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
The buyers guide vid is a good summary of what to look for in a 997, and what to do more research on. Having just begun to search for a 997.1 myself, I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I didn't realize until watching this video that the ECU records what stage an over rev hit (rather than just recording that it was over rev'd), so I just learned something new. Thank you for posting this.
👍 The 997 is a very special, amazing automobile. As others have said before, you will want to buy the nicest, best maintained example you can afford. It’s truly pay now or keep paying later.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS

👍 The 997 is a very special, amazing automobile. As others have said before, you will want to buy the nicest, best maintained example you can afford. It’s truly pay now or keep paying later.
Exactly. I just had a friend who is very plugged in when it comes to Porsche's tell me, "pay more now, so you pay less later". I've already raised my budget by about $8k-$10k just based on my research and what I've been reading since deciding that I wanted to buy a used 911 C2S. I've heard several people tell me to just pony up for a 997.2 and not worry about IMS issues, bore scoring, etc. However, those cars aren't bullet proof either and they're comfortably north of my price range, even if I were to extend my price range even further than I already have.

I'm confident I'll find a nice 997.1 that meets my criteria (C2S, manual transmission, Sport Chrono package, well maintained, etc.), I just need to be patient.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:51 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS

Exactly. I just had a friend who is very plugged in when it comes to Porsche's tell me, "pay more now, so you pay less later". I've already raised my budget by about $8k-$10k just based on my research and what I've been reading since deciding that I wanted to buy a used 911 C2S. I've heard several people tell me to just pony up for a 997.2 and not worry about IMS issues, bore scoring, etc. However, those cars aren't bullet proof either and they're comfortably north of my price range, even if I were to extend my price range even further than I already have.

I'm confident I'll find a nice 997.1 that meets my criteria (C2S, manual transmission, Sport Chrono package, well maintained, etc.), I just need to be patient.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:42 AM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I’m pleased with the purchase of my 911, I wish I had seen these two videos. Save them for later!
Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

The 991 is built and sold by VW? The VW group has controlled Porsche finances for decades. But the Porsche family has a controlling interest in VW. Who cares if Porsche uses a few Audi parts from time to time.

Quick Reply: INTERESTING 997 VIDEO