Opinions: 996TT now or wait for 997TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 09:40 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,549 Likes on 4,166 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla

The 2007-2009 Turbo also uses the Mezger engine which is well regarded for its ability to support serious modifications. They also put out a fair amount more power stock than the 996TT. I would look for one of these, preferably with the 6MT, which are more common in the 997.1 than they are in the 997.2TT. The 2009 is a sweet spot in these because they got the PCM3.0 with the Mezger and they bring a premium. Ultimately, all that tech is now fairly old and both can be replaced if desired. The 997.1 also got the new AWD system that the 997.2 C4S also uses, which I think is an improvement over the 996TT.

At the end of the day, the 996 is always going to have a ding against it with alot of Porsche people for the atypical headlights and the interior.
Originally Posted by bgoetz
With these cars the cost isn’t the price, the cost = what you pay + upkeep -what you sell it for. I think you need to consider the actual cost. IMO the 996T feels a bit maxed out on price which is why you see 996T going for close to a 997T. I think the 996T price will hold, but the 997T will keep climbing as clean low mile examples become harder to find. If you can’t buy a 997T now I think you might just chase it as prices climb and never buy one, so maybe the 996T is the answer. If you can stretch and get one now, I think you will be at the same “cost” in a year had you bought the 996T.
Originally Posted by bobs95
I owned a 2002 996TT and loved it. Previous owner paid ~$2000 for a GIAC tune and it really opened it up. There are a couple of issues to check out on any you're interested in (I believe these affect the 997TT as well) -- the rear spoiler hydraulic system, which can develop leaks and cost $2000+ to repair (new hydraulic system or electric replacement system) and the coolant hose nipple-to-manifold attachment (the hose nipples were glued into the manifolds; between their age and hot/cold temp cycling the glue can fail, causing the coolant to dump onto the road, just in front of the rear tires.....without warning. The fix is to have the nipples pinned or welded to the manifolds, and to do it right the engine has to be removed).

The 997TT has variable vane technology to improve the turbos output, equaling a 996TT with a tune. And it has oval headlights and a more modern interior -- up to you if this is important.

Bob

Excellent information has been provided to you in these 3 previous posts. With a TT, there's really not much need to look to the 997.2 years as the 997.1 is an excellent car with the Mezger engines and the only real issue being the coolant pipes already mentioned.

However, 996TT prices are in the $50-$55k range and a 997TT you'd actually want to own with a nice interior, good paint, etc is going to be $70-$75k. If your budget is $50k, you don't have much of a choice but the prices on both of these cars has been pretty steady over the past couple years. Over the next few, I see 996TT values falling a bit further and 997TT values holding steady or even rising a bit for clean, lower mileage, well appointed cars.

Personally, I just can't warm up to the exterior looks and the interior of the 996 models, whereas the 997 is just about the perfect all business with a little comfort interior for a sports car that uses nice materials.

Before I found my RUF supercharged C2S I was looking at 997TT, but jumped on the uniqueness of the car I currently own due to the lighter weight, RWD driving dynamics, with TT power output levels of around 485 HP. Haven't regretted my decision for a second, but if something happened to my current car, I'd find an 09 997TT to replace it (probably do a RWD conversion on it) or another RUF car, like a 993 R-Turbo or maybe go in older for an 89 speedster.

Both the 996TT and 997TT drive great, but in the same general pricing ballpark as a 996TT, you can probably find a 997.2 S or 4S (depending on your preference) and you should drive those before deciding you need the power of the TT as they're not really lacking for power and the delivery of that power will be very different than what you've been used to driving.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:57 PM
apex32
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
With these cars the cost isn’t the price, the cost = what you pay + upkeep -what you sell it for. I think you need to consider the actual cost. IMO the 996T feels a bit maxed out on price which is why you see 996T going for close to a 997T. I think the 996T price will hold, but the 997T will keep climbing as clean low mile examples become harder to find. If you can’t buy a 997T now I think you might just chase it as prices climb and never buy one, so maybe the 996T is the answer. If you can stretch and get one now, I think you will be at the same “cost” in a year had you bought the 996T.
I agree there, and have thought about it this way as well. By wait for a 997, I would mean less than a year extra time. Unless the price drastically flew up on 997s, at which point I wouldn't want one anyways, I should be able to pick one up without issue. I really do not mind the 996 exterior or interior, but I am worried they are maxed out on price and don't want to buy high.

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
996TT with X50, sport seats. Interior is nice in black. Value should stay strong. Budget some thousands for expected service for 15 yo car.
This is my idea 996 for value preservation, totally agree.

Originally Posted by Petza914
Excellent information has been provided to you in these 3 previous posts. With a TT, there's really not much need to look to the 997.2 years as the 997.1 is an excellent car with the Mezger engines and the only real issue being the coolant pipes already mentioned.

However, 996TT prices are in the $50-$55k range and a 997TT you'd actually want to own with a nice interior, good paint, etc is going to be $70-$75k. If your budget is $50k, you don't have much of a choice but the prices on both of these cars has been pretty steady over the past couple years. Over the next few, I see 996TT values falling a bit further and 997TT values holding steady or even rising a bit for clean, lower mileage, well appointed cars.

Personally, I just can't warm up to the exterior looks and the interior of the 996 models, whereas the 997 is just about the perfect all business with a little comfort interior for a sports car that uses nice materials.

Before I found my RUF supercharged C2S I was looking at 997TT, but jumped on the uniqueness of the car I currently own due to the lighter weight, RWD driving dynamics, with TT power output levels of around 485 HP. Haven't regretted my decision for a second, but if something happened to my current car, I'd find an 09 997TT to replace it (probably do a RWD conversion on it) or another RUF car, like a 993 R-Turbo or maybe go in older for an 89 speedster.

Both the 996TT and 997TT drive great, but in the same general pricing ballpark as a 996TT, you can probably find a 997.2 S or 4S (depending on your preference) and you should drive those before deciding you need the power of the TT as they're not really lacking for power and the delivery of that power will be very different than what you've been used to driving.
I'd like to stay under 55k, but if I waited 6-12mo longer, could justify 70-75k but honestly not sure I really want to spend that much even if I have it. I will maybe go drive a 997.2 S (prefer rwd anyways) and see what I think. I really was looking to make some power out of the next car, I get that it's not needed, though. I appreciate the input.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:31 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by apex32
I'd like to stay under 55k, but if I waited 6-12mo longer, could justify 70-75k but honestly not sure I really want to spend that much even if I have it. I will maybe go drive a 997.2 S (prefer rwd anyways) and see what I think. I really was looking to make some power out of the next car, I get that it's not needed, though. I appreciate the input.
Definitely try a 997.2 C2S. The only thing it lacks is low-end torque. Otherwise, it has great reflexes and response. It would be nice to go 0-60 in 3 seconds (TT), but I can settle for 4 seconds (C2S). It's not like there are a lot of places you can use it.

Quick Reply: Opinions: 996TT now or wait for 997TT