Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying 997.2 from carmax

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 08:18 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Number of owners does not bother me provided car were properly serviced throughout the years. Carmax and auction history would be red flags to me. These cars are too liquid to be dumped at Carmax or need to be sent to auction unless there are "issues."
Old 01-19-2019, 09:35 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Number of owners does not bother me provided car were properly serviced throughout the years. Carmax and auction history would be red flags to me. These cars are too liquid to be dumped at Carmax or need to be sent to auction unless there are "issues."
Generally agree with you. I have a number of friends who just want an easy way to sell their car. The more I think about it, most of them lease so end of lease return is real easy. For those who own their cars, Carmax makes it real easy too.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:52 AM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

purchased my 2007 C4S from carmax. Also purchased extended warranty which will be honored at the indie shop I frequent. Overall a positive experience and I would not hesitate to buy from them again. I used their grace period after purchase to get a ppi during which time they held my trade in.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:09 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Around here, the logistics favor CarMax. There is only one Porsche dealer and they rarely have a used 911 for sale. It just is not a big seller here. They use a lot of salt on the streets here in winter. So, when you are looking for that special car, odds are good you will be looking south. That makes buying from CarMax very attractive, with their transfer fee, grace period and 30 day warranty. Plus if you trade yours in to them, you save thousands in sales tax. That basically offsets what you would have got if you sold privately.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the people in this forum have some real world budget limitations, or you wouldn't be buying 6 - 12 year old cars. So, things like saving $2500 - $4000 in sales tax is a very real consideration.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:20 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

I would have carmax get the cigarette smell out prior to purchase. It can be done, combination of ozone treatment and detailing. But I would only consider buying after carmax fixed it.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:08 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
If you have a high sensitivity to the smell of cigarette smoke, it is virtually impossible to eradicate the odor from a smoker's car interior. Fabrics in the headliner, the carpet, the leather retain the smell, even with the fancy atomizer machines used by dealers. Unfortunate when a nice car pops up and it literally stinks.
I had the same experience with a nice 335i. I went to pick it up, and it smelled "funny". It had been masked to cover up cigarette smoke. I returned the car 2 days later.

Quick Reply: buying 997.2 from carmax