Sponsored by:

buying 997.2 from carmax

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,444 Likes on 4,106 Posts

Also, when something is new to someone they tend to take better care of it because they "finally got a Porsche" or whatever. Look at having more owners as meaning the car was potentially better cared for over those years than if 1 guy owned it for 5 and the next guy owned it for 5 as they might have become lazy about wash/wax, maintenance, etc.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:10 PM
diginoise
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Also, when something is new to someone they tend to take better care of it because they "finally got a Porsche" or whatever. Look at having more owners as meaning the car was potentially better cared for over those years than if 1 guy owned it for 5 and the next guy owned it for 5 as they might have become lazy about wash/wax, maintenance, etc.
Hello no panic at all about the owners was just wondering how people feel and these are all great points thank you and yes that's exactly it I pulled the Carfax and it's completely clean and the car had at least 2 dealers registrations so now just my test drive left and if I like it a PPI hopefully all works well just can't get used to the terracotta interior I love black on black
Old 01-16-2019, 12:20 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

I've had a few dealing with Carmax and all have been positive. Some of their vehicles come from auctions, others are trade-ins from private parties. They always have vehicle history reports and disclose accidents versus trying to hide them. After-market warranties seem like decent deals as well. My only complaint is they will not accept vehicle records. I sold my Audi S8 to Carmax and had a nice folder with every single service record and they would not take them with the car. I said the next owner will want these but I was told they would be thrown out if I left them.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:24 PM
diginoise
Track Day

Originally Posted by Truble10
I've had a few dealing with Carmax and all have been positive. Some of their vehicles come from auctions, others are trade-ins from private parties. They always have vehicle history reports and disclose accidents versus trying to hide them. After-market warranties seem like decent deals as well. My only complaint is they will not accept vehicle records. I sold my Audi S8 to Carmax and had a nice folder with every single service record and they would not take them with the car. I said the next owner will want these but I was told they would be thrown out if I left them.
That's very disappointing. I really hope they have the small service card all stamped properly othwise will have to visit each dealer to get those service stamps back did it before I always stick the service records inside the leather manual pouch so it's part of the car
Old 01-16-2019, 12:43 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you buy it? Shows up in a Car Gurus ad but not on Carmax site. Looks like a great car although I am not sold on the interior either. Great price, especially for California.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:46 PM
diginoise
Track Day

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Did you buy it? Shows up in a Car Gurus ad but not on Carmax site. Looks like a great car although I am not sold on the interior either. Great price!
Not yet will test it this weekend. it's in transit to my local CarMax. Will update afterwards but really hoping a black one will surface till then even tough this one is under priced hopefully just because of the terracotta
Old 01-16-2019, 12:50 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Originally Posted by diginoise
Not yet will test it this weekend. it's in transit to my local CarMax. Will update afterwards but really hoping a black one will surface till then even tough this one is under priced hopefully just because of the terracotta
Is it going to another SoCal location? If you pass will you DM me I would like to check it out. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:54 PM
diginoise
Track Day

Is it going to another SoCal location? If you pass will you DM me I would like to check it out. Thanks!
​​​​​​Yes in CA just about 100 miles from Murrieta to LA sure thing will keep you posted
Old 01-17-2019, 01:27 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've bought 3 cars from Carmax so far, all good experiences. Always got the Maxcare extended warranty, which is an exclusionary type (aka bumper to bumper, with a short list of non-covered items and if it's not on that list then it's covered) and was far less costly than a comparable warranty from a 3rd party company. And if you ever sell the car back to them they'll pro-rate the warranty cost (if you ask...not all salesmen volunteer that info!) I recently sold my Corvette back to them, they gave me $2K less than I paid two years earlier, plus refunded me $1400 of the $1800 cost of the warranty.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:53 PM
diginoise
Track Day

I had my test drive and the car drives great but it looks & smells like an ashtray smokers car, ash everywhere, smells badly. I guess I can detail it and change a filter.
Also there is a chip in the windshield CarMax says they can replace the window but I have to take a loaner meanwhile so I just left and let's see if they fix it first
Old continental tires sigh wish I kept the Michelin I got just last year from the totalled car

Last edited by diginoise; 01-19-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:59 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

You will never eliminate cigarette smell.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:12 PM
diginoise
Track Day

Wow I guessed wrong. no kidding. No way. that sucks. beautiful car wrong type of smokers package
Old 01-18-2019, 10:14 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Just start smoking! It won't bother you then: you may not even notice it!
Old 01-19-2019, 01:40 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by diginoise
Wow I guessed wrong. no kidding. No way. that sucks. beautiful car wrong type of smokers package
I would suggest spraying some Windex on some surfaces, just to see. It may take several applications. I detailed cars on my uncle's car lot back in the days when everyone smoked. Windex, rug shampoo and a shop vac took the smell out of a lot of cars. Sometimes I had to do some disassembly, like removing seats or trim to get better access. But, it worked more times than not. If a car has spent it's life sitting outdoors, in the hot sun, in a warm climate the nicotine is pretty well baked in and you won't get it out. That's why I say try a few surfaces.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:39 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
I would suggest spraying some Windex on some surfaces, just to see. It may take several applications. I detailed cars on my uncle's car lot back in the days when everyone smoked. Windex, rug shampoo and a shop vac took the smell out of a lot of cars. Sometimes I had to do some disassembly, like removing seats or trim to get better access. But, it worked more times than not. If a car has spent it's life sitting outdoors, in the hot sun, in a warm climate the nicotine is pretty well baked in and you won't get it out. That's why I say try a few surfaces.
If you have a high sensitivity to the smell of cigarette smoke, it is virtually impossible to eradicate the odor from a smoker's car interior. Fabrics in the headliner, the carpet, the leather retain the smell, even with the fancy atomizer machines used by dealers. Unfortunate when a nice car pops up and it literally stinks.

Quick Reply: buying 997.2 from carmax