Sponsored by:

(High?) quality of 997 OEM parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:29 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Car manufactures almost always make the body-in-white There are exceptions as the Cayenne was originally produced at the VW plant in Slovakia that produced the Touareg as well ( even Before VW took over Porsche). Most of the time the car manufacturer make the engine as well but not always. Transmissions are only sometimes made by the car company. If you have a 6 speed manual, your transmission was produced by Aisin which is owned by Toyota. The 8HP 8 speed trans found in the Audi A6 and the BMW 5 series are the same and come from the same manufacturer, ZF. The early Boxsters were largely produced by Valmet, the Finnish weapons manufacturer. The Porsche 924 and 944 were made by Audi for Porsche. Magna produces cars for different manufacturers under contract. Things like braking systems., turbos, fuel systems, all electronics, suspension pieces, bushings, glass, seats,and on and on, are produced by global suppliers who focus on these things. The wonderful seats in 911 and the traditionally crappy seats found in the Corvette are made by the same company. Each of those suppliers will make anything the OEM wants at an agreed price. The quality can be at any level the OEM chooses for that model. Generally, there are one or two suppliers approved for smaller items, one supplier for major items.
I was curious about your reference to Valmet as a Finnish weapons maker, so I checked. As far as I know, it is Patria which makes armoured vehicles and such. Valmet Automotive was established in 1968 and assembled Boxsters in the past. It currently makes Mercedes Benz A class and GLCs as a contract manufacturer. It also does engineering and has some expertise in e-drives and battery technology. And it makes convertible hoods and active spoilers as an OEM. I wonder who for.

Valmet (another company, same name) offers automation and other technology to the pulp, paper and energy sectors, and has a whole portfolio of other products incluing biofuel, chemical, pharma, food, biotech. It lists rifles as part of its "historical products" (namely hunting rifles and assault rifles). I'm guessing you're a hunter?

Anyway, I'd agree that it is a rare firm that makes its all own floorplans/bodyshells, engine, and gearbox. Most of it is bought in and assembled. And there are endless suppliers to the suppliers. The airbags for example in my the OEM fitment Recaro seats (as installed at the factory in my other car) were made by Takata (until a while ago...).
Old 01-15-2019, 01:44 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Back in the old days when I used to build cars (60s & 70s), we used Jaguar independent rear suspension a lot. It looked cool, was readily available and cheap because parts were very expensive and hard to find, so nobody wanted them. Most people didn't know the parts that needed replacing were made by Ford and used in the F150 pickup truck. A bearing set that Jaguar listed for over $200 and took a month to get could be bought off the shelf at a Ford dealer for $11.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximumA
I was curious about your reference to Valmet as a Finnish weapons maker, so I checked. As far as I know, it is Patria which makes armoured vehicles and such. Valmet Automotive was established in 1968 and assembled Boxsters in the past. It currently makes Mercedes Benz A class and GLCs as a contract manufacturer. It also does engineering and has some expertise in e-drives and battery technology. And it makes convertible hoods and active spoilers as an OEM. I wonder who for.

Valmet (another company, same name) offers automation and other technology to the pulp, paper and energy sectors, and has a whole portfolio of other products incluing biofuel, chemical, pharma, food, biotech. It lists rifles as part of its "historical products" (namely hunting rifles and assault rifles). I'm guessing you're a hunter?

Anyway, I'd agree that it is a rare firm that makes its all own floorplans/bodyshells, engine, and gearbox. Most of it is bought in and assembled. And there are endless suppliers to the suppliers. The airbags for example in my the OEM fitment Recaro seats (as installed at the factory in my other car) were made by Takata (until a while ago...).
Valmet Automotive was set up a joint venture between Valmet and SAAB-Scania. My understanding is that their output was considered high-quality. SAAB is not really active today in automotive, to my knowledge, and Scania is 100% owned by VW now. Today my understanding is that Valmet is involved in numerous technologies and industries. In the past they were involved it the manufacture of artillery as well as rifles. By the way, Fuji Heavy Industries also operates plants that manufacture cars for other companies/brands. This, I believe, was their first entry into producing cars before making Subarus.
With few exceptions, car companies almost always produce the bodies, most often their engines, sometimes the transmissions and basically nothing else.
I am not a hunter .
Old 01-16-2019, 04:30 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
Back in the old days when I used to build cars (60s & 70s), we used Jaguar independent rear suspension a lot. It looked cool, was readily available and cheap because parts were very expensive and hard to find, so nobody wanted them. Most people didn't know the parts that needed replacing were made by Ford and used in the F150 pickup truck. A bearing set that Jaguar listed for over $200 and took a month to get could be bought off the shelf at a Ford dealer for $11.
A 2000% mark-up, not a bad idea from Jaguar
Old 01-16-2019, 10:06 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

Headlight Ballast - Toyota Part Same as Porsche:

You can use a Toyota part # 85967-08010 or 85967-50020. This should be direct replacement for 997.631.283.01 and 997.631.183.00. You can find these new for around $75 vs. $500 from Porsche.

Koito is the original equipment supplier to Porsche. Their part number is KDLT002. A google search for Koito KDLT002 shows this headlight ballast being used in Toyota, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Land Rover, Porsche, Renault, Subaru and others.

This part is also sold under the Denso brand name as DDLT002.

Quick Reply: (High?) quality of 997 OEM parts