Sponsored by:

CV Boot

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 10:50 AM
avonted
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CV Boot

First let me complain about this forum...try to do a search here. I put in "cv boot" and the first thing I got was the crazy LA Power Bluetooth thread LOL. The entire first page was nothing about CV boot anything.

Anyway, enough bitchin'. I need to replace my front outside CV boot on my C4. I am looking for thoughts here. I would love to do it myself but my concern is, is it worth the frustration? By the time I get whatever tools I need, get the parts, etc...I might be very close to what in indy shop would charge me. Would love you thoughts on this. As long as you're chiming in, give me your take on this job if you've done it. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2019, 01:23 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Those who have done this repair will need to chime in.

As for the search function don’t forget the quotation marks before and after the string of words you are looking for. Without those quotation marks it will look for all posts that contain the word “cv” and “boot” separately.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:58 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I just did this search yesterday as i have to replace the boots on both front axles on my c4s. Its not the most specific search but it does bring up a number of threads specifically on cv boots but not a lot on what your are specifically asking.

I am taking mine in to the indy tomorrow for him to do it. Believe it requires the dropping of a number of the suspension parts and prob a 5-6 hr job
Old 01-13-2019, 04:03 PM
avonted
Instructor

Vern - did your indy tell you what he's going to charge? I think you're right, seems like a pretty tough job and could be more $$ to do it myself with tools and such.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:53 PM
vern1
Drifting

No i didnt get a specific quote. I am heading off on a long trip and it was best to get them done before i go. I doubt the boots themselves are too expensive as they are just rubber but who knows with Porsche parts. Knowing what his labour rate is i can guess but i will definitely know Tues as i am picking up the car then
Old 01-13-2019, 06:20 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I've changed them on other cars, but it should be the same.
You need to remove the half axle and cut off the old boot.
Then holding the axle in a vice, turn the CV joint to one side and whack up on it with a hard mallet or hammer. There is a internal circlip that holds the joint onto the shaft(its also splined under the CV joint)
Then clean up the shaft and joint, drop the boot onto the shaft (there's a trick with a pick or small screwdriver to reset the circlip before you pound the joint back on) and re-grease then reassemble and cinch clamps on boots.
The only special tool you might need is a clamp tool depending on the type of clamp band used.
You have to be a little more careful if its an inside CV joint but just about the same idea.
Hope that helps.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:54 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

I have found it typically easier to just replace the whole shaft rather than replace the boots. The grease in the joints gets worn out, so why not be all fresh, on both ends. I haven't searched for Porsche half shafts (yet) but for my other cars have gone with Rockauto parts and been super happy.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:35 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
I have found it typically easier to just replace the whole shaft rather than replace the boots. The grease in the joints gets worn out, so why not be all fresh, on both ends. I haven't searched for Porsche half shafts (yet) but for my other cars have gone with Rockauto parts and been super happy.
True, sometimes a boot change can cost half (or more) as much as a new axle
Old 01-14-2019, 08:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,169 Likes on 3,933 Posts

There's a Marketplace ad with terms like "warehouse clean out sale" and I think that hmguy has a few pairs of front stub axles listed if yiu guys who need to do a repair want to look for it.

Regarding the search function, I find it much more efficient to go to Google and include Rennlist in the search criteria typed into the bar along with the other terms you're looking for. I don't think I've ever done a topic search inside the Rennlist website.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:24 PM
vern1
Drifting

Picked up my car with the replaced CV boots. About $300 Cdn in parts and 6.75 hrs labour
Old 01-15-2019, 06:35 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 860 Posts

New shafts? I don't think so... totally wasted money.... M Boxster S would eat CV boots due to the sharp angle and constant flexing so I spent quite a few dollars on these items. The issue is simple... they have to be cleaned and repacked with grease... a messy and time consuming job. If you use a new shaft, you pretty much have to do the same thing. If the boot cracked, dirt could get in and then you have a sand paper situation. But as long as you regularly inspect them, there is no problem here. I got 197K miles out of my shafts and too many boots to remember. Never did the dealer or then my indy say I needed new shafts.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-15-2019, 06:43 PM
avonted
Instructor

Thanks for all the responses. I think I am going to replace both inner and outer boots on the shaft (the outer is cracked). The only 2 road block I am anticipating are the CV strap installation (saw that is pretty tricky) and the 340 ft/lb of torque on the hub nut. The cheapest torque wrench I found is $189. Maybe I'll see if my mechanic has one that I can borrow...Thanks again for the comments. BTW, the Rennlist search function still sucks and yes I used quotes haha. Give it a try sometime, just not good.

Quick Reply: CV Boot