Sponsored by:

997.2 exhaust bolts consensus.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:45 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 997.2 exhaust bolts consensus.

just wrapped up my second week of 997 life with my new to me 2009 C4S. I have done an oil change, and I have the car fax so I can try to get service details. Specifically interested in the 40k as my car now has 47.5k. A Durametric should be here Saturday, and the only active message I have is for the tpms.

if my research shows the plugs were done, I should be smooth sailing for a bit, but my car spent a good chunk of its time in NY, so you can imagine I have a good bit of oxidation on the motor, etc. My main question is this, if the plugs were done, should I just roll with my exhaust bolts, or lack there of as they are practically gone till I blow a leak, or should I spend a Saturday replacing with A4 SS bolts as a project? What about the manifold bolts? I live in Atlanta, so salted roads are in my girls rear view now...

weekend project?
wait till it fails?

if I find out the plugs were not done, will be doing them while I am in there.

Your thoughts?
Old 01-10-2019, 11:58 PM
dc2000
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 20 Posts

Just get it taken care of. Maybe go with an independent mechanic unless you don't mind dealing with seized and corroded fasteners. I don't know how bad they are, but you could try my method. Tighten the fasteners instead of loosening until they break. Hopefully the bolts will just pop out with a strong whack of a hammer and a punch. In my case, I got all the bolts off the cats like this except for 1. I had to cut it out with a Dremel and a tungsten carbide cutting bit, then drilled the rest. It took about twenty minutes. Here is a link for a video I made:

https://youtu.be/4JxkzWTcs6k

Hopefully once you get to the spark plugs you have no issues removing them. If there are any signs of trouble, take it to a pro immediately because you don't won't to mess anything up on the engine.

Best of luck!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:25 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

If you plan on doing a muffler mod or change then sure. Start with the centermuffler clamps and exhaust tips first. I had to fab up some aluminum barrel bolts as the existing ones were already corroded
Old 01-11-2019, 10:34 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

2009 C2S 130K miles

Those bolts are a problem NOT. I get looking for projects but this is not one of them. As docdrs noted, only on a muffler mod.... I did the Sharkwerks and am very happy with it BTW... and then you will most likely need to change the bolts because you will probably break at leas one.

If you are looking for projects, then check around these boards and see what folks are doing. Of my tweaks and mods, the best ones I did were the Sharkwerks xpipe and the Numeric shifter and the DSC PASM control module. All are something I enjoy evertime I drive and I highly recommend them to anyone (the DSC is only for those with PASM). In order of importance to me, the DSC PASM controller made what I thought was sub-optimal shock mapping to very good, so this was a requirement for me. The Xpipe is ear candy but took a car that sounded like an idling Buick to at least something with a bit of character.... not essential but I thought I purchased a sports car...... the Numeric was a real pleasant surprise. Again, not at all essential but makes for a really nice feel. The xpipe and the numeric are all about getting this overweight GT car to being a bit more like a sports car. The DSC was the elimination of annoying ride and mitigating a wiggly back end under hard acceleration on uneven surfaces.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 PM
stripersteve
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

can you clarify how you can check if the plugs were done ? I am in the same boat- 2009 c4s with 42K , and am having some challenges reconstructing service history. I am buying through the dealer, who is selling the car on consignment from a customer of the dealership ( non porsche ). Current owner thought the previous owner had done the major service , but couldn't provide any written proof. The porsche dealership the previous owner had used is no longer in business, so I can't check with them. Carfax doesn't show much.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:40 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stripersteve
can you clarify how you can check if the plugs were done ? I am in the same boat- 2009 c4s with 42K , and am having some challenges reconstructing service history. I am buying through the dealer, who is selling the car on consignment from a customer of the dealership ( non porsche ). Current owner thought the previous owner had done the major service , but couldn't provide any written proof. The porsche dealership the previous owner had used is no longer in business, so I can't check with them. Carfax doesn't show much.
I know of now way of telling if plugs were changed. However, how long did the current owner own the car? Plug change interval is 40K miles.... so this guy/gal should certainly seems like they should know 'cuz they owned the car at this time.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-11-2019, 11:54 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Originally Posted by stripersteve
Sure! The Carfax had the service recorded by a Mercedes Dealership in At
antic City. It was called 40k service on Carfax, so I called them. Turns out the plugs were replaced 5k miles ago!
Old 01-11-2019, 11:58 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I know of now way of telling if plugs were changed. However, how long did the current owner own the car? Plug change interval is 40K miles.... so this guy/gal should certainly seems like they should know 'cuz they owned the car at this time.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
when I contacted the Mercedes dealer, they told me the woman did not want to sell th car. It was her late husbands, and he babied it. They were apparently very good customers of Mercedes as well. The Service manager knew them.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:55 PM
stripersteve
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The current owner had the car for 2 years, but only put 3K miles on it. Apparently, he also has a Ferrari, so he wasn't driving the Porsche enough to justify keeping it. Since all my discussions have been through the dealer, it's been a little difficult getting all the details. I'm going to ask the dealer to have the owner reconstruct any work that was done , other than the recent brake flush/oil change that the dealer recently did. The car still looks like new, so it has obviously been well maintained from a cosmetic standpoint.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:05 AM
dc2000
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Stark

Sure! The Carfax had the service recorded by a Mercedes Dealership in At
antic City. It was called 40k service on Carfax, so I called them. Turns out the plugs were replaced 5k miles ago!
If the plugs were changed 5k miles ago, what would explain the corroded bolts? If the colts are in really bad shape, I don't know how they would have removed and re-installed the mufflers while re-using them.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:30 AM
black997er
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I have experience here ...

... if you have to change the plugs now then budget for more time than you think it’ll take by a factor of say 2 :P I have a NY car that I recently upgraded to a Tubi Exhaust (so worth it!) but I broke 5 of the 6 bolts at the exhaust flange. Suffice it to say I did not enjoy drilling and tapping those out! Of course it’s inevitable that at some point you’ll have to do those plugs and replace those bolts and fasteners, but I’d say make sure you have at least a full weekend to burn on this in case things go awry. Enjoy the car!
Old 01-13-2019, 09:40 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dc2000
If the plugs were changed 5k miles ago, what would explain the corroded bolts? If the colts are in really bad shape, I don't know how they would have removed and re-installed the mufflers while re-using them.
You don;t need to remove those three bolts to do a plug change. There are alternative approaches.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: 997.2 exhaust bolts consensus.