997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint question

Old 01-07-2019, 10:00 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Paint question

Done several track days and hindsight being 20/20, I realized I should have had clear bra applied.

With that that being said, I would love to have the hood repainted and the front bumper painted/replaced. Assuming the body shop does a 10 out of 10, do y’all think it would affect the value detrimentally down the road if an enthusiast wanted to buy it and I could show them that this was a purely cosmetic job and there was no damage sustained?

thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-2019, 12:54 AM
Vethen
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 8202632
Done several track days and hindsight being 20/20, I realized I should have had clear bra applied.

With that that being said, I would love to have the hood repainted and the front bumper painted/replaced. Assuming the body shop does a 10 out of 10, do y’all think it would affect the value detrimentally down the road if an enthusiast wanted to buy it and I could show them that this was a purely cosmetic job and there was no damage sustained?

thanks in advance!
Take pictures of the bodywork before being resprayed. Keep all documents relating to the work done. I would say being transparent that you aren't hiding any crash damage is all you need to worry about. I'm moderately confident that a buyer would prefer good paint and piece of mind over a chipped up bumper but being told it is original.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:38 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

My theory is always that someone who is highly concerned about original paint will probably also not want to buy a tracked car with paint chips all over the hood, so it ends up a wash.

I know if I were looking at two driver cars, one with a rock blasted front end on original paint and the other with a 10/10 fresh paint job that looks like it just rolled out of the showroom, I'd pick the latter, easily.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:31 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Document, document, document, and then document. No car is perfect, even the car that gets bought new and put into a museum for 30 years. Now it has dried out seals, fragile belts, leaking shocks and the gas is syrup. Im fairly picky but as long as the seller can convince my semi educated brain that the repaint was in the realm of preservation and not accident territory, Im a happy camper. In fact, I will feel that Im ahead of the game.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:58 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

in 25 yrs when a 997 is still not a collectable, its not going to be worth arguing about. unless you have a showroom new car without any miles
Old 01-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 854 Posts

Your concern is reasonable for many but given my value system, a total waste of worry. I refuse to make decisions about something I purchased for my entertainment based on resale value.... particularly when it is speculative... at best. If chips bother you, get it painted. I do... I just wait... in time I will bang it up or someone will scrape it in a parking lot, or whatever.....When I get tired of looking at chips and scrapes, I will go ahead and spend a few grand to have it look new. Sometimes I got lucky.... I had a storm blow a screen off of a 2nd story window and down onto my hood....wooohooo!!! Insurance covered it under comp... great luck!

Remember.... something that I don;t think many Porsche owners know..... it's a car!

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint question