Sponsored by:

Low Battery oddity

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 03:20 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Low Battery oddity

My 2009 (until yesterday) had the original battery. The voltage finally dropped to ~11.5 V a couple of days ago. It started like it had a low battery, but did start (and I drove to the local library). The odd thing is that the computer display was showing the FM radio station. I couldn't figure out how to get it to show miles remaining, average speed or mpg, but it would show tire pressures. I could actually select radio stations for the lower left side (computer) stalk.
On the return trip, it started the same way (slowly turning, but eventually starting). This time, the computer display did (correctly) show the standard 4 options (miles remaining, average speed. mpg, tire pressures). At a traffic light, I stalled it and restarted it (again with difficulty). The gas gauge which had previously indicated about 1/2 tank and the computer display showing ~180 miles left, dropped to completely empty (orange indicator on), and the ! warning indicator now on. Drove home (obviously, I was not out of gas) and checked the OBD. It passed with no OBD alerts. Yesterday, I had to have AAA start the car, then drove it to Black Forest (local service independent where it sits now awaiting an ew battery and a 60,000 mile service), with the gas gauge still showing totally empty. All other gauges were acting normally.

Has anyone seen this behavior?
Old 01-06-2019, 06:17 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

I don't think any of the cars show the same signs with a low battery. The electronics just go bonkers.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
I don't think any of the cars show the same signs with a low battery. The electronics just go bonkers.
Agreed!
Old 01-06-2019, 11:27 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Not to be contraire, but I experienced almost the identical gremlins when my battery went south. A fresh battery should solve all of the problems you are seeing. Also, have your tech clear any codes that may have been triggered. I had several but nothing that could not be reset with a Durametric. Interestingly, however, when jumped the battery to get home (with one of the kits that you plug in to the wall to keep charged) the car started fine and all of the funny readings (gas gauge, clock, etc.) were not manifest.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Not to be contraire, but I experienced almost the identical gremlins when my battery went south. A fresh battery should solve all of the problems you are seeing. Also, have your tech clear any codes that may have been triggered. I had several but nothing that could not be reset with a Durametric. Interestingly, however, when jumped the battery to get home (with one of the kits that you plug in to the wall to keep charged) the car started fine and all of the funny readings (gas gauge, clock, etc.) were not manifest.
You are not being contrarian. I agree with you, a new battery should fix it all. What I and another were saying is that a bad battery causes all kinds of issues that may vary from situation to situation.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:55 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

A new interstate H7 costs$170.00 in NJ.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:17 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Yup. Based on a number of battery failures on my three 997's, I consider the OP lucky. None of my failures gave me any warning of any sort. Would have been thrilled with a fuel gauge rolling over all of a sudden and a tired crank as opposed to the car going from cranking strong to not cranking at all which describes all my failures.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:13 AM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts

Just changed the battery in my 2009 997.2 and it was an OEM Porsche battery in there from before so quite impressed how long it had lasted (75'000 km since new) - or maybe the previous owner had swapped it with an original I don't know...

This said, for me the "dead" battery just didn't have enough juice for the engine to crank over. The lights in the car where as bright as always and the PCM worked fine without any issues.

Swapped the battery, and I got all sorts of strange error messages - even for options that are not installed - such as Lane Assistant Error (or something like that) and PSM Error, PASM Error etc etc.

Got a new battery the following day, swapped the old one, did a window reset (up - 10 secs, down - 10 secs) staying still turning the steering wheel left then right and drow off. Errors cleared after a while but the first few kilometers were a bit "rough" meaning the idling of the engine was not smooth but stabilized quickly there-after.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Frank996
Just changed the battery in my 2009 997.2 and it was an OEM Porsche battery in there from before so quite impressed how long it had lasted (75'000 km since new) - or maybe the previous owner had swapped it with an original I don't know...

This said, for me the "dead" battery just didn't have enough juice for the engine to crank over. The lights in the car where as bright as always and the PCM worked fine without any issues.

Swapped the battery, and I got all sorts of strange error messages - even for options that are not installed - such as Lane Assistant Error (or something like that) and PSM Error, PASM Error etc etc.

Got a new battery the following day, swapped the old one, did a window reset (up - 10 secs, down - 10 secs) staying still turning the steering wheel left then right and drow off. Errors cleared after a while but the first few kilometers were a bit "rough" meaning the idling of the engine was not smooth but stabilized quickly there-after.
Next time before swapping a battery use another small 12V battery/source to power the car and then, with that connected, swap the battery.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:00 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Costco H7 battery all the way.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:57 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Most owners don't drive these cars to keep them charged properly. A battery will eventually lose a cell or two and never be able to charge back. Recommend you use a ctek or noco charger.. But for you to get about 10 years on an oem battery is pretty good!
Old 01-10-2019, 04:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by aaks38
Most owners don't drive these cars to keep them charged properly. A battery will eventually lose a cell or two and never be able to charge back. Recommend you use a ctek or noco charger.. But for you to get about 10 years on an oem battery is pretty good!
All three of my 997's have been daily drivers and all battery failures have gone from cranking strong as new to not cranking at all.... in hours literally. Same with all of them.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:57 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

If the batteries go dead on these cars, are you locked out of the frunk and rear deck? Does it have the old fuse box jump terminal like the 996?
Old 01-10-2019, 05:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
If the batteries go dead on these cars, are you locked out of the frunk and rear deck? Does it have the old fuse box jump terminal like the 996?

The trunk latch can be opened by attaching 12V to two terminals in the fuse panel by the driver's footwell using the FOB - instructions in the Owners Manual.

Quick Reply: Low Battery oddity