Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 blown away - just rode in a Tesla

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:40 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Electric cars are here to stay, sure. Mostly for upper middle class folks with 2-3 vehicles and/or do not travel longer distances. Perhaps when you can swap out a battery in a few minutes at a station, longer trips will make more sense.

I suppose some day, trailering boats, campers and toys will be a thing of the past unless it's a few miles.

What range is an electric minivan or 3 row SUV going to have?

Tesla just lowered their price 2k per car, which means each car will be getting a price increase with the soon to be withering government handout.

The model S is stale from age, and the model 3 looks like a stale model S ugly stepchild. The main reason I see Tesla being relevant for years to come is their lead in charging stations and the propensity for German automakers to over price compared with a similar rival.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:26 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

No need to panic, has anyone tried to price out a good horse, they are expensive. Furthermore, we know more about horses and have better ways of taking care of them than ever before. The same think will happen with our gas cars if we decide to keep them.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:35 PM
sverduzco
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my brother just got his model 3. it is cool...4 yrs bumper to bumper warranty and 8 yrs on the batteries.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:09 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
Here are a couple relevant articles from Jalopnik. It just doesn't sound like fun to me.
NY to MI by Ryan Felton - the first long run Tesla article I'd read
Electric reverse cannonball?
Thank you...T
Old 01-02-2019, 09:37 PM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
..."Also, the cost of the electricity consumed is about 1/3 to 1/4 that of what I would have paid in gas in a similar car".
Not counting the upfront cost of paying for the Tesla fuel cells when you purchased the car (that likely cost over $5K as part of the purchase price and will need to be replaced in 7-10 years)!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:18 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
If it doesn't make noise (not thru the audio speaker kind), I am not interested
Agree, though the list of reasons I’d never buy a Tesla is long. Rather surprised to even find such a discussion on the 997 board.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:50 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911

Agree, though the list of reasons I’d never buy a Tesla is long. Rather surprised to even find such a discussion on the 997 board.
Ah.... but.... what if you had a kit to replace your engine for a battery/motor system for .... say $10K.... that didn't change the handling dynamics/weight etc... but gave you 600 foot/pounds of torque and over 300 miles on a charge. That is what I am talking about here. You guys keep talking about the current state of things..... this will change and the prices will plummet and selections will grow.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-03-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:30 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Has anyone here taken a seriously long road trip in a Tesla? Let's say a thousand miles plus and away from the coasts. Dallas to PHX. MPLS to Seattle. Chicago to LA. If so, that's the kind of trip I'd want to take in an EV - see friends, family, etc. How feasible are such long trips with current / near future technology?

BTW, whoever posted that Plug Share map. Awesome. Thanks.

T
A couple of years ago, I chatted with a Tesla owner who was charging his car in Goodland Kansas (east of Denver). He was from Charlotte and was returning there from Seattle. I asked him about the range issue and he said that he just planned the drive in 90-100 mile segments between supercharger stations and would stop for a 15 minute break whilst it charged. It could be done but would demand that you drive to the car's schedule rather than your own.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:45 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
A couple of years ago, I chatted with a Tesla owner who was charging his car in Goodland Kansas (east of Denver). He was from Charlotte and was returning there from Seattle. I asked him about the range issue and he said that he just planned the drive in 90-100 mile segments between supercharger stations and would stop for a 15 minute break whilst it charged. It could be done but would demand that you drive to the car's schedule rather than your own.
I’ve had Model X 6 seater (can be configured as 7) x 14 months and 26,000 km - have saved $8k in gas here in Vancouver compared w prev/most SUV’s. Holds a lot of gear. Great dd and use it for work. Realistic range 300 km in the city/burbs. Have used superchargers on 2 road trips - not a problem - everyone needs to pee and kids eat every 2 hrs anyway and Nav tells u where/how long to stop.

Love the sounds of my RS and character of 964 on wkends but during the week, I wd never go away fr electric now. Can also take them in multi occupant vehicle commuter lanes as solo occupant here in Vancouver, which helps. Were probably a lot of people having same resistance to transition from horse drawn carriage to steam to ICE but it’s hard to deny where we’re headed.
Cheers
Old 01-02-2019, 11:46 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

It is interesting how people will pay extra for conveniences: yard service, having cars washed, a nanny, a cleaning service, having someone change their oil. Are those same people all the sudden going to be willing to stop for 15-30 min every couple hrs to charge a battery. I get a little irritated waiting for a single car to get gas while I wait, every 500 miles.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:58 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
It is interesting how people will pay extra for conveniences: yard service, having cars washed, a nanny, a cleaning service, having someone change their oil. Are those same people all the sudden going to be willing to stop for 15-30 min every couple hrs to charge a battery. I get a little irritated waiting for a single car to get gas while I wait, every 500 miles.
LOL. The inconvenience is only if you are on road trip. For most, 95% of time is city driving. Come home, plug in, wake up to full “tank of gas”. I havent been to gas station for over a year except w Porsches and to buy lotto tix to pay the damn Tesla off I dont miss gas stations as I’d often have to go when running late.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:21 AM
C4SDayton
Pro

Originally Posted by hillsdonsmith

LOL. The inconvenience is only if you are on road trip. For most, 95% of time is city driving. Come home, plug in, wake up to full “tank of gas”. I havent been to gas station for over a year except w Porsches and to buy lotto tix to pay the damn Tesla off I dont miss gas stations as I’d often have to go when running late.
I do not disagree with you. However, I commute in my 997. The family car is an SUV driven 95% around town, but we chose it for the 5% of trips to see family or go to beach, etc. An electric car would meet a need, commuting 40 miles a day. Life's is too short for me to commute my last 8-10 years of work in something I would dislike every day I used it. It makes sense to do the opposite for many I assume.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:28 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
I do not disagree with you. However, I commute in my 997. The family car is an SUV driven 95% around town, but we chose it for the 5% of trips to see family or go to beach, etc. An electric car would meet a need, commuting 40 miles a day. Life's is too short for me to commute my last 8-10 years of work in something I would dislike every day I used it. It makes sense to do the opposite for many I assume.
Yep, if you can commute in 997, that’s a more characterful experience for sure 👍

Tesla will lend you a car for day or two if you want to see if it’s liveable for your needs. An interesting experience if nothing else.

I came from opposite end of spectrum - used to daily Mercedes G500. Had character in spades and loved it.

Now the ultimate wd be Gwagen by Kriessel...

Old 01-03-2019, 01:18 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
Seattle to Charlotte is a whopper of a road trip. 2800 miles per Google Maps. That's 28 stops and at 15 min/stop that would add 7 hours to what Google Maps says is a 41 hour trip.

T
Old 01-03-2019, 01:50 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

These are all over the road in seattle. For the work commuters and family vehicles they make sense. However as people online discussing a vehicle that ended production 6 years ago I think we are not their primary target, at least for replacing our 911s.

I do do feel once Mercedes, BMW and Porsche get active in electric vehicles Tesla is going to have a problem. I can’t see them selling as many 100k cars and rushing to the bottom for the 35k electric vehicle.

Quick Reply: 997 blown away - just rode in a Tesla