Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VF engineering tune

Old 12-28-2018, 04:27 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sober_owl
for those that have gotten a tune.. how does it compare to just getting a sprintbooster to increase throttle response..?

i would guess a dyno tune is the only real way of getting the best performance.. not all engines are the same.. how can a mail order tune fit them all?
from what I understand(I may be off a bit and probably over-simplifying) but when you send your stock tune in, it has data logged air/fuel ratios among other things, so when they send a tune back, the new one has corrections to all of those factors. Dyno tuning makes it real time and much more tangible
Old 12-28-2018, 05:28 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Milo2361
current mods on my 07 997 base:
Engine rebuilt by Vision Motorsports, included polished and ported heads, knife edged crank. (long story)
Fabspeed dual cone intake
Borla Headers
AWE 200cell Cats
Borla Mufflers
I am interested in how your car sound with the Borla headers and mufflers, take some videos please..

Old 12-28-2018, 05:40 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

Originally Posted by lowbee
I am interested in how your car sound with the Borla headers and mufflers, take some videos please..

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1067103-exhaust-sound-clips-for-997s.html
posts #26 and #30 😁
Old 12-28-2018, 11:24 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Remember the hp/tq numbers are at the peaks, and not over the whole curves. You should get some decent gains across the curve tho.
Correct, you want a tune that has a good increase in the area under the curve and not just a high peak HP number..
Old 12-29-2018, 01:25 PM
jpclinging
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Box arrived, install this week, I will detail the install and driving characteristics asap. Stay tuned....couldn't resist!
Old 12-29-2018, 02:39 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Not sure i get why you would tune an unmoddified car. Are you going to dyno pre and post to see what the actual increases are? Otherwise hard to see whether it makes any sense. And butt dynos are not known for there accuracy....

Mine has been pretty modded and will consider a tune in the spring when i am back from my road trip. Lots of off the shelf systems but would prob lean towards a local dyno tune
Old 01-05-2019, 01:19 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

Any updates on this? Very curious to see your results!
Old 01-07-2019, 03:19 AM
jpclinging
AutoX

Originally Posted by Milo2361
Any updates on this? Very curious to see your results!
Tune going in this week!!
Old 01-08-2019, 02:12 PM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Not sure i get why you would tune an unmoddified car. Are you going to dyno pre and post to see what the actual increases are? Otherwise hard to see whether it makes any sense. And butt dynos are not known for there accuracy....

Mine has been pretty modded and will consider a tune in the spring when i am back from my road trip. Lots of off the shelf systems but would prob lean towards a local dyno tune
Originally Posted by jpclinging
Tune going in this week!!
Please post dyno sheets and/or pre-post app acceleration numbers. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2019, 03:40 PM
jpclinging
AutoX

So the Hex Tune is in. Overall the experience was surprisingly easy to do. Here are my thoughts on each stage of getting the tune:

Why: My cars have always been bone stock but I wanted to finally get a bit more out of the car. I have worked with Porsche as a driver for 12 years and have driven everything under the sun. I am intimately aware of the reliability of the cars and the engine so I knew the car/engine could handle whatever I put on it, I wanted a bit more power but not a loud exhaust or intake. I did tons of research on tunes, who is good, better, best etc. Ultimately I landed on VF as they have a stellar reputation as an engineering firm, not so much as a simple tuner shop. I guess I see them as the BBS wheels of tuning.

How: After checking with friends that have VF tuned cars (mostly Lamborghini) and was given the thumbs up I ordered online, it would be better if VF had a bit more info online as to what to expect from the tune as posed to simple hp/tq numbers. UPS delivered a few days later.

The box contained a usb cord that is specifically for my car and a few bis of swag from VF.

The Install: I am not a tech guy, my VCR still flashes 12:00!! So I figured if I could do this anyone could. So the cord plugs into the OBD port in the car and the other side in a PC (Mac will not work), after tracking down a friend with a PC (2 days..) I was in business. I followed the online instructions, they were kinda clear but could use some new images, but overall easy to follow. All the data required is put into preloaded boxes so you can't go wrong.

Once the stock tune is uploaded you send it to the email provided and wait for about 24 hours. Then an email arrives, like Santa at Christmas!! and you have your tune that is specific to your car. The install was super easy just connect the cords again click a couple of buttons and in about 10 minutes the tune is uploaded. You are provided 2 files in the email, your stock tune and the new VF tune. That was you can return to stock anytime.

The Price: For a couple of donuts shy of $1000 I would say the price is more than fair for the power.

The drive: Once installed I wasted no time with the test, now as I said I'm no tech but I was a professional test diver for most of my career so I know what I'm looking and feeling for. The power addition is smooth and factory like, the throttle response is slightly enhanced in normal mode and noticeably enhanced in sport mode. The HP comes on around 4200rpm at mid throttle and is noticeable, the easiest way to describe it would be like taking 997.1 and making it feel like a 997.2, just enough more power to be noticed and appreciated. No change in idle or fuel economy so far. I would have no problem recommending this to anyone.

The company: Here is the link to VF in you are interested. https://vfe1.com/products/porsche-99...-gt3-gt2-turbo

Old 01-13-2019, 03:53 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Seat of the pants, you think you picked up 10, 20hp? Or did it more shift the power band around?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:55 PM
jpclinging
AutoX

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Seat of the pants, you think you picked up 10, 20hp? Or did it more shift the power band around?
I would say the advertises power gains of 20-25hp and 20-25tq are legit, is not a massive gain but I can and do feel it in the upper range.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:48 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Thanks for the insight and review of the tune. I have been thinking about this for a long time as well. In your research have you heard of any additional maintenance that might be required after running a tune long term? For example, needing spark plugs changed or new coils more often?? Or what about passing smog inspections? Do you need to revert to original file to pass smog? Just curious if you found any info like that.

Thanks again for the review, very tempting
Old 01-13-2019, 05:03 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Yes thank you! Very tempting.

I sent the following questions to VF technical service, but figure I would post them here too to see if you had any info:

1. can they tune for 91 octane? California only sells 91 and it causes an engine knock if you blip the throttle below 2,500 RPM. (At least thats the explanation I got).
2. does the tune for the base 997 increase throttle response (like C2S sport mode).
Old 01-13-2019, 05:23 PM
jpclinging
AutoX

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Yes thank you! Very tempting.

I sent the following questions to VF technical service, but figure I would post them here too to see if you had any info:

1. can they tune for 91 octane? California only sells 91 and it causes an engine knock if you blip the throttle below 2,500 RPM. (At least thats the explanation I got).
2. does the tune for the base 997 increase throttle response (like C2S sport mode).
Those are probably best asked/answered by VF. I can tell you that I just went for a very fun drive and the more I drive the car sportily the more notice the gains. Love it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VF engineering tune