OEM SSK vs numeric

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 02:49 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts
Default OEM SSK vs numeric

Prior car had the oem ssk which I added the function first shift right solution to make the connections all metal like the cup car.

Really liked how how it shifted. However with buying the oem ssk and the function first inserts it would be nearly the same price as the numeric racing shifter. Have researched here but hoping I could get more feedback.

Thoughts on the two? Anyone upgraded and can compare them?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-14-2018, 03:41 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

OEM SSK with the FF metal inserts is awesome. That's my current setup. The drawback is the conversion to the metal inserts is a one-way deal so there is no reselling added parts when you get rid of the car.

I thought the Numeric shifter had three throw settings to match the OEM standard shifter, OEM SSK, and an even shorter position. Plus with Numeric you can keep your original shifter and go back to stock before selling, even reselling the Numeric shifter to recoup some of your costs.

So maybe let price decide? If you have OEM SSK just add the FF inserts. If you think adjustability is needed go Numeric. Otherwise go with total dollars - Numeric alone versus OEM SSK plus FF inserts.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:41 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by semicycler
OEM SSK with the FF metal inserts is awesome. That's my current setup. The drawback is the conversion to the metal inserts is a one-way deal so there is no reselling added parts when you get rid of the car.

I thought the Numeric shifter had three throw settings to match the OEM standard shifter, OEM SSK, and an even shorter position. Plus with Numeric you can keep your original shifter and go back to stock before selling, even reselling the Numeric shifter to recoup some of your costs.

So maybe let price decide? If you have OEM SSK just add the FF inserts. If you think adjustability is needed go Numeric. Otherwise go with total dollars - Numeric alone versus OEM SSK plus FF inserts.
my thinking as well. About $550 total for oem ssk plus FF inserts. The numeric is about $150 more. Not sure if worth it.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:47 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

I've had all three in my car. OEM Carrera, OEM SSK and now Numeric. There is no comparison of the numeric to the OEM boxes. OEM is a plastic toy compared to Numeric's all aluminum box. Rifle bolt gets tossed around a lot on shifters. Numeric is metal on metal on metal.. literally like a rifle bolt. And you'll get most of your money back if selling it. And no monkeying around with disassembling the SSK or carrera box to install FF. No contest. Numeric all the way.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:52 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 268 Posts

What about compared to the GT3 box? It's all metal and comes with its own new cage.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:55 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cwheeler
What about compared to the GT3 box? It's all metal and comes with its own new cage.
gt3 is just metal bushings, not a short shift kit FYI.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:06 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Ok the 997 upgrade is 15% shorter throw and all metal. Am I miss reading? Name:  photo463.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  220.9 KB
Old 12-14-2018, 11:52 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok the 997 upgrade is 15% shorter throw and all metal. Am I miss reading?
No, that's what it says. But in the description it also says its standard equipment on 997's..... But from my research here I have read the GT3 is just metal bushings. I'll email sun coast. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:03 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I've had all three in my car. OEM Carrera, OEM SSK and now Numeric. There is no comparison of the numeric to the OEM boxes. OEM is a plastic toy compared to Numeric's all aluminum box. Rifle bolt gets tossed around a lot on shifters. Numeric is metal on metal on metal.. literally like a rifle bolt. And you'll get most of your money back if selling it. And no monkeying around with disassembling the SSK or carrera box to install FF. No contest. Numeric all the way.
Concur. My car came originally with OEM short shifter. Went to Numeric, kept OE cables, and Numeric is markedly improved.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:10 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 189 Posts

I appreciate this post. I've been planning to do Numeric cables at a minimum in the next couple months, but wasn't fully committed on the shifter. You said exactly what I wanted to hear.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

FWIW:
My 2009 997.2 C4S came with the standard shifter. I installed the Porsche SSK and the throws are noticeably reduced. Fifth gear is the most noticeable, with the original shifter the **** was over past the AC control and felt like its was intruding into the passenger footwell. The SSK has brought that position, as well as the rest, into a tighter pattern with shorter throws.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:29 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Numeric just honored their holiday / group buy on the shifter so I bought it. I'll report back to rate it as I have had an OEM SSK, then added the function first shift right solution.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:22 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

ALL OEM shifter boxes are plastic.

1) The only difference between the OEM Carrera and SSK Carrera is the fulcrum. It changes from black plastic to blue plastic.
2) The only difference between the OEM Carrera and GT3 is metal bushings on the fulcrum supports. It is NOT an SSK. GT3 box has same throw as the OEM.
3) Numeric is all metal all the time.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:32 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

ALL OEM shifter boxes are plastic.

1) The only difference between the OEM Carrera and SSK Carrera is the fulcrum. It changes from black plastic to blue plastic.
2) The only difference between the OEM Carrera and GT3 is metal bushings on the fulcrum supports. It is NOT an SSK. GT3 box has same throw as the OEM.
3) Numeric is all metal all the time.
Thanks for the clarification! Makes it easy to make the decision now. 😁
Old 12-20-2018, 10:55 PM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the stock throw so I ordered a FF kit. I think they're probably pretty comparable in actual use, but I haven't used either yet so curious if anyone has a companion between the two? (other than the chassis)

It seem if you're considering buying both an SSK and FF, the Numeric makes a lot of sense.

Quick Reply: OEM SSK vs numeric