Sponsored by:

What's in your survival kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 04:07 AM
Dennis_said
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's in your survival kit

Hi guys in perusing thru the pages of info and noticing a lot of owners have specific things on hand like code readers/battery maintainers etc.

I've never owned anything like my Carrera s. I am curious if there are any recommendations from you guys as far as things to start having on hand to be prepared? Thanks!

Just wanted to learn from experience of others so I minimize the chances of being out high and dry. TIA!
Old 12-13-2018, 04:18 AM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

A good battery tender (like a CTEK, available on Amazon) for storage beyond a couple weeks, and a OBDII diagnostic reader (like iCarsoft or Durametric) for checking CEL's (Check Engine Lights) and resetting service warnings.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:58 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I simply bought the CTEK a few days after having purchased the cab, and so far I have needed nothing more in terms of survival
Old 12-13-2018, 03:29 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Can of engine oil, telephone.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:33 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CTEK is all for me. All I do is change wheels at home, and wash it, so don't need much else. . I do have a compressor for tires.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:40 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Icarsoft OBD gizmo and a charged cell phone with AAA. And the stock kit that Porsche provided with the car.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:00 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Glock 9 mm and a cc permit.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:32 PM
Psychopoodle
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CTEK, USB charged batter jump starter (dont feel like begging for a jump with cables), quart of oil and funnel, digital tire pressure guage, 12v air compressor, tread depth guage, tire repair kit. The CTEK and air compressor stay at home, the rest ride shotgun in the frunk.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:41 PM
cannonball05
Racer

Opinion …. do you think battery tender is needed if you drive it every two weeks?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:56 AM
Dennis_said
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you keep the ctek on constantly or only after a few days of non driving ? And does it really do as they say battery lasts a lot longer ???
Old 12-14-2018, 02:58 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis_said
Do you keep the ctek on constantly or only after a few days of non driving ? And does it really do as they say battery lasts a lot longer ???

Yes & Yes.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:51 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis_said
Originally Posted by cannonball05
Opinion …. do you think battery tender is needed if you drive it every two weeks?
I've had cars now for decades, many types and models, including numerous Porsches. In my experience, you certainly do not need to keep a battery tender on a car constantly. Driving every few weeks is just fine without one as well. In fact, the only time I use a tender on my cars is when I put them up for the winter. I am lucky to have several "hobby" cars, which means often two will sit for weeks at a time before being driven. I never use tenders on them during these dormant periods. Further, I've never had issues with battery longevity. I notice folks on this forum tend to over think these things. Do you keep tenders on your daily drivers when not in use over a weekend or when you go away for vacation? Probably not. There is no difference here.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:01 AM
cannonball05
Racer

Originally Posted by linderpat
I've had cars now for decades, many types and models, including numerous Porsches. In my experience, you certainly do not need to keep a battery tender on a car constantly. Driving every few weeks is just fine without one as well. In fact, the only time I use a tender on my cars is when I put them up for the winter. I am lucky to have several "hobby" cars, which means often two will sit for weeks at a time before being driven. I never use tenders on them during these dormant periods. Further, I've never had issues with battery longevity. I notice folks on this forum tend to over think these things. Do you keep tenders on your daily drivers when not in use over a weekend or when you go away for vacation? Probably not. There is no difference here.
Great to hear Linderpat. Mine isn't a DD but I do keep it in storage but will drive it every few weeks to keep it in shape. I don't have power in the storage unit thus why I asked. Good to hear I don't need a tender. This is the first time had had a non-DD!
Old 12-14-2018, 10:11 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

If I'm traveling with the wife - extra cash, credit cards, AAA card, cell phone & charger, Waze, battery tender and tire plug kit.

If we're traveling with the dog, the level of planning required increases exponentially & makes the planning for D-Day look like a slap dash affair!
T
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2018, 12:27 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
Glock 9 mm and a cc permit.
Me too, but I am a 45 type of guy.

Quick Reply: What's in your survival kit