Sponsored by:

Service Records versus PPI

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 02:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by nick2413
No one missed your point. But your point is an extremely rare case that just happened to fit your opinion. CPO cars have mostly been the next best thing to a new model collected off the production line in Stuttgart - but there's been numerous examples of new cars having issues too. Should we warn potential buyers from buying new? Or maybe the premier dealership will steal your deposit on a GT2RS and flee to Timbuktu, OP should probably just build his own car to be extra safe.
Sorry but you missed my point. Nobody else. At least not anyone who has made his or her voice heard. And why would the story referred to fit my "opinion"? As if I'm on some sort of mission to discredit the CPO program. You make no sense. All I'm saying here is that if the largest volume, perhaps most prestigious Porsche dealership in the US in collaboration with PCNA sell a CPO 997 GTS that turns out to be in poor wholesale condition rather than CPO condition and then refuse to own up to it, then what's all the promises about the CPO certification worth? Sure you'll get the 2 year warranty coverage but what about the overall condition of the car in case you decide to sell or trade?

Doesn't matter that it's a rare occurrence. What matters is that PCNA clearly doesn't care that a dealership makes a mockery of the rather lofty promises about the condition of pre-owned cars that meet their stringent CPO standards that's posted on their website.

What should have happened here in my opinion is that since the dealership wouldn't give an inch, PCNA should have stepped in to defend the brand, their marketing and their promises by suggesting to the dealership's manager to cancel the deal. Take the car that shouldn't have been CPO'd in the first place back and return the trade in 430. Of course they couldn't do that since they sold the trade in while this dispute was going on.

Here's a small section of what PCNA promises about CPO cars. Can we at least agree that this serious language about how CPO candidates are checked out may lead many to skip a PPI?
We’re proud of our technicians, and no-one knows a Porsche better than them. Rigorous mechanical and bodywork standards must be met by every Porsche Approved vehicle. This is part of the meticulous preparation process undertaken prior to sale. You can be assured that your new Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Vehicle has undergone service and preparation worthy of the Porsche name and meets the standards you would expect of us.Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned vehicles are inspected by factory trained technicians who conduct a 111 point mechanical, cosmetic and visual inspection, using original Porsche parts. Each vehicle must pass this rigorous inspection before it can be eligible for enrollment into the Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Program. Current model year vehicles and those of eight previous model years with less than 100,000 miles are eligible for enrollment.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...tures/quality/
Old 12-14-2018, 01:12 PM
nick2413
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Sorry but you missed my point. Nobody else. At least not anyone who has made his or her voice heard. And why would the story referred to fit my "opinion"? As if I'm on some sort of mission to discredit the CPO program. You make no sense. All I'm saying here is that if the largest volume, perhaps most prestigious Porsche dealership in the US in collaboration with PCNA sell a CPO 997 GTS that turns out to be in poor wholesale condition rather than CPO condition and then refuse to own up to it, then what's all the promises about the CPO certification worth? Sure you'll get the 2 year warranty coverage but what about the overall condition of the car in case you decide to sell or trade?

Doesn't matter that it's a rare occurrence. What matters is that PCNA clearly doesn't care that a dealership makes a mockery of the rather lofty promises about the condition of pre-owned cars that meet their stringent CPO standards that's posted on their website.

What should have happened here in my opinion is that since the dealership wouldn't give an inch, PCNA should have stepped in to defend the brand, their marketing and their promises by suggesting to the dealership's manager to cancel the deal. Take the car that shouldn't have been CPO'd in the first place back and return the trade in 430. Of course they couldn't do that since they sold the trade in while this dispute was going on.

Here's a small section of what PCNA promises about CPO cars. Can we at least agree that this serious language about how CPO candidates are checked out may lead many to skip a PPI?
If your ever so important point was 'CPO buyers beware, I once heard a story that didn't go very well' then great, I get your point, thanks for sharing!
OP be wary, when looking at CPO it couldbe a lemon.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by nick2413
If your ever so important point was 'CPO buyers beware, I once heard a story that didn't go very well' then great, I get your point, thanks for sharing!
OP be wary, when looking at CPO it couldbe a lemon.
All I can think is that you may be a Porsche employee in some capacity. Who else would defend - with repeated snide remarks - fraudulent behavior by Porsche Of Beverly Hills in collaboration with PCNA against a trusting customer?
Old 12-16-2018, 03:21 PM
chekraze
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
So, there are issues trusting both the PPI and the service records. It seems like Carmax is the safest bet.
what do you mean by this? I’m about to buy first Porsche from CarMax if car checks out. Hasn’t arrived yet. Or did you mean Carfax?
Old 12-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by chekraze

what do you mean by this? I’m about to buy first Porsche from CarMax if car checks out. Hasn’t arrived yet
As has been pointed out, the PPI is only as good as the person doing it and how extensive you want it to be. Service records, especially for a low mileage car, may be scant. CPO from any manufacturer really boils down to the selling dealer being willing to underwrite the warranty. There are certain standards the car must meet, but that is largely open to interpretation. So, CarMax seems to be a most desirable source because of their return policy and the warranty they offer. You can buy the car, have it checked out at a local dealer and return it if there are issues found. You may pay more through CarMax, but it does offer a lot of convenience and a sense of comfort you won't get any other way.

Quick Reply: Service Records versus PPI