Sponsored by:

Dialectric Grease - Do you use it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts
Default Dialectric Grease - Do you use it?

2009 C2S 129K miles

Who uses it? As I understand, if your an old timer you use it on every electrical connector you touch. I suspect if I used it on my Mom's Toyota highlander, I wouldh't have all the stupid corrosion issues I am having now.

Thoughts?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-02-2018, 06:38 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I only use it where there is a problem
Old 12-02-2018, 07:15 PM
evo9
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I use it on spark plugs. I slab a generous amount on top of spark plug before installing spark plug wire (old cars that have a distributor) or ignition coil (for later so called superior ignitions). IMO - old school distributor ignitions were more reliable than the 'ignition coil on each plug' used on current ignition systems...

wm
Old 12-02-2018, 09:00 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Here in Texas where everything rusts and corrodes I use it on all exterior light bulb sockets. I miss Utah where nothing rusts because there is no humidity. Anywhere else only if there is an issue.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:05 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Hi Bruce I’m sure you know that dialectric grease is non conductive and should only be applied to a nice, shiny, dry and clean connection, after it has been screwed tight. And only in places where weather ( or more to the point, moisture) can affect the connection. For instance, ground wire connections under the car from the engine to the frame. There is never an application for it inside the car, where it does not get wet. Many folks erroneously think that it is applied the the connection before it is screwed together.
also, I would never put it anywhere near the top of the spark plug and then attach the boot. You are degrading the performance of the plug. They need a nice dry clean and tight connection. Again, dialectric grease is non- conductive.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:36 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I use it on spark plug coil boots and o rings. It’s a good lube for most o rings and won’t degrade the rubber or plastic. After I learned it was non conductive I don’t use it on the contacts of electrical connections any more.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:43 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
Here in Texas where everything rusts and corrodes I use it on all exterior light bulb sockets. I miss Utah where nothing rusts because there is no humidity. Anywhere else only if there is an issue.
I grew up in the Mtns of Utah....road cancer was rampant due to the chemicals to de ice the roads. But I use it on my older car as a super insurance policy. The 997 not so much. It has its purpose most defenatly.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:13 AM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Ugh! Horrible stuff. Hard to get it off. Migrates into areas you don’t want to on your hands and tools. Residue leaves fish eyes on new paint, buggers up otherwise well detailed paint, permanently stains upholstery. Went into the chemical recicling many years ago.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I use it on nuts and bolts that will be subject to corrosion, like the seized exhaust bolts I just had to pry/cut off/drill out on the 987.2... boy that was fun!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:12 AM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Absolutely, I'm a British car owner ... (Lucas Prince of Darkness) I started to use dielectric grease all the way back to the very first time I had to clean my first set of Austin Healey Bullet Connectors.

IF you clean connectors the best way to keep them clean and corrosion free is use the dielectric grease the keep the connectors sealed from the atmosphere.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

I use in on the threads of home screw-in light bulbs, especially those outside in the eves or in the bathrooms where the bulbs can become difficult to remove from exposure to moisture. I also use it as an O-ring lubricant which helps them seal or pop into place without binding. I don't use it anywhere else. For automotive electrical work, the Deoxit family of products is far superior to slapping on dielectric grease. The Deoxit D5 is a corrosion eliminator and contact cleaner and if you need to protect a connection after it has been put together, Deoxit Shield is designed for that. purpose
Old 12-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

I love this guy, but there is something really wrong about this video....

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Dialectric Grease - Do you use it?