Sponsored by:

For those with Sports Design steering wheel & Sports Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 11:01 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default For those with Sports Design steering wheel & Sports Chrono

The Sports Chrono and Launch Control indicators on the steering wheel, when they are not lit up/not in use, how visible/obvious are they?

I don't have Sports Chrono but want to get flappy pedals. The only steering wheel I could find are the ones with Sports Chrono. I'm wondering whether the indicators are visible enough remidning me that the original owner was too cheap....
Old 11-30-2018, 11:40 PM
RJ997.2
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are not very noticeable at all. Here are a couple off the new wheel I have for sale.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:42 PM
RJ997.2
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way. Definitely look into adding the sports/sports plus software. Makes driving the PDK much more enjoyable!
Old 12-01-2018, 01:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 318touring
The Sports Chrono and Launch Control indicators on the steering wheel, when they are not lit up/not in use, how visible/obvious are they?

I don't have Sports Chrono but want to get flappy pedals. The only steering wheel I could find are the ones with Sports Chrono. I'm wondering whether the indicators are visible enough remidning me that the original owner was too cheap....
Just my opinion but give priority to adding Sports Chrono over the paddle steering wheel. PDK without SC just plain sucks and the addition of it will change your car way more than the steering wheel. I'd get both but again, no question of what I would get first.
The following users liked this post:
BucketList (10-23-2019)
Old 12-01-2018, 03:21 AM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Just my opinion but give priority to adding Sports Chrono over the paddle steering wheel. PDK without SC just plain sucks and the addition of it will change your car way more than the steering wheel. I'd get both but again, no question of what I would get first.
I was thinking along the same line however I can get 2nd hand steering wheel which is around 30% cheaper than online shops can offer. Also since I'll be over in the UK, shopping cost is going to be local vs international.

My OPC is also rather reluctant to retrofit anything, their advice is "... trade-in your car with one that comes with all of the options you'd want." Yeah right. SC retrofit is definitely something that they will try to get out of from doing, and my indy still needs to update their or acquire new PIWIS.

The joy of living in NZ, beautiful country, very good lifestyle, friendly people, but so far away from everything and there aren't a lot of choices and options.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:54 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

You cant see them in the car unless you are looking for them......so not a problem at all.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:07 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

+1 for adding SC over a steering wheel. PDK without SC is the s...s!

BTW, unlighted script on wheel is unnoticeable unless you're concentrating on it.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:03 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 318touring
I was thinking along the same line however I can get 2nd hand steering wheel which is around 30% cheaper than online shops can offer. Also since I'll be over in the UK, shopping cost is going to be local vs international.

My OPC is also rather reluctant to retrofit anything, their advice is "... trade-in your car with one that comes with all of the options you'd want." Yeah right. SC retrofit is definitely something that they will try to get out of from doing, and my indy still needs to update their or acquire new PIWIS.

The joy of living in NZ, beautiful country, very good lifestyle, friendly people, but so far away from everything and there aren't a lot of choices and options.
I don't understand your mechanic's reasoning. Most PDK cars came with Sports Chrono from the factory so it's not like you're adding some kind of exotic aftermarket item but rather bringing it up to the factory configuration most expect on a car like yours. My understanding is that it's a rather simple software job with factory parts that gives you SC performance but not the useless timer on the dash which has no bearing om performance anyway. It's $1,195 here in the US (not including labor). https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7SM.html

On a side note, my wife and her mother visited NZ last year. They absolutely loved everything about it. One of their favorite destinations after that trip and they can't wait to go back. I may come along on that one depending on the timing. Would love to see it. And for white wine, we drink nothing but NZ Sauvignon Blanc btw. Cloudy Bay and Kim Crawford are two of our favorites. Work well in hot climate like Florida.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:20 AM
rezok
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have one of these for sale from my 991.1 if anyone is interested. I fitted the Sports Steering Wheel and have a black MF wheel with the column stalk left over. Just PM me

Old 10-22-2019, 02:27 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Sport mode is everything imo. And even though I don’t have many opportunities to use Sports plus, I bet it’s incredible in the twisties
Old 10-23-2019, 03:39 PM
jimfuerst
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts

I think they are pretty noticeable when on...but not distracting.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:30 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Sport mode is everything imo. And even though I don’t have many opportunities to use Sports plus, I bet it’s incredible in the twisties

I know sport is an option on manuals but not sure about sport plus so assuming yours is a PDK car. Sport plus in auto mode = track only but sport plus in manual mode is like sport mode, just quicker shifts. I use it all the time.

Quick Reply: For those with Sports Design steering wheel & Sports Chrono