New member, independent screwed up front diff service, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 12:12 AM
Moiraine997
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, independent screwed up front diff service, need advice

Hi All,

(Semi) new member of a 997 4S here, had the car since February, 75xxx km and been really enjoying it, with a few track days during the summer.
A few weeks ago I had a front diff service done at a local independent. Then a short while later, I started hearing grinding noises that were definitely not normal. An inspection at a different local shop revealed that they had drained the front diff fluid but not put any new fluid in. This shop through various methods was able to prove for me that they definitely botched the service.
A phone call later I drove the car to the independent and was able to get a loaner from them on the same day. They inspected the car and agreed to replace my front diff, with a used front diff from a different car. I feel like I have been treated well during this process, but wanted to seek advice from anyone else who had been through the same process. I would have been out of my car for a total of 1.5 to 2 weeks.

I paid a sum of money for the initial service, as well as for the inspection that revealed the damage. Do you think the independent owes those costs to me? Do they owe me anything else?

My car is under CPO, and would be warrantied until March of 2020. This new independent is saying their work only carries a 1 year warranty, so I would be out a few months on that since I think PCNA would be able to tell that the front diff had been replaced. Would you insist on the extra time to be covered, or just bite the bullet and move on?I hate to join the community under these circumstances - hope to contribute a lot in the future!

Best, M
Old 11-29-2018, 12:17 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

They need to refund you the cost for the service, at a minimum, since they never completed it, and they need to cover the inspection cost that was necessary to identify their mistake. I would insist on having a new front diff unit installed, too.

I had a sort of similar situation. Independent replaced my 6MT box with a brand new one because of bearing damage, but they filled the new trans through the wrong fill hole (5L instead of ~3L of gear oil), and I busted a halfshaft seal about 200 miles from town due to the elevated pressure. Had to have it checked out and repaired at a dealership in Austin, but the indy I work with covered all of the costs of the repair at the dealership no questions asked.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:03 PM
Moiraine997
5th Gear

Thank you for the input. The owner of the independent had actually worked at the second shop I brought my car to get an inspection. Maybe they were trying to cut the independent a break by having my car repaired there instead. I will have to be more firm in my dealings with them.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:49 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,699 Posts

IMO I would also tread lightly since it seems they are willing to correct the mistake - After you get your car back then bitch and grind on them and create havoc if they fail to remedy the issue - Not so smart bitching and being demanding when your car is on their rack
Old 11-29-2018, 10:49 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Inspect the used diff before they install it and make sure it’s not trashed or from a high mileage car.

I am am not a stickler for having everything done at the dealer, but as long as my car is under warranty, I bite the bullet and pay the dealer. I’d hate for something else to get screwed up and the dealer not cover it because it was somehow bodged up by an indie doing a cheap, routine service.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:02 PM
Moiraine997
5th Gear

I am not mechanically inclined - I would not be able to tell the difference between a good diff and a bad one. The claim is that the diff came out of a car with less km than mine - I will be sure to get documentation to prove this.

All in all, I went to this indie to save a couple bucks. I will not be doing that again until my warranty runs out.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:06 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to insist on a new diff unless there is some type of "like new" re-manufactured option. Some random diff out of another car is not going to make this right in my opinion.
Get your new diff then deal with the costs if inspections later, or let it go and find another mechanic.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:07 PM
Iceter
Drifting

At 75k miles or more on the op's car, I think a new diff is unrealistic. As nice as it sounds, you wouldn't even get that from most dealers. The best you could expect would be a rebuilt/remanufactured one, and even that would be more than I would expect.

Even if the OP doesn't trust his ability to verify that the used diff is in good shape, I think it is still a good idea to have them break it open and verify for you that the guts are in good shape. You could take pics and show them to a dealer tech or post them here. There may be something very obvious that a tech or observant member here would see that you wouldn't.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:43 PM
Moiraine997
5th Gear

Thank you, at the time of asking to get the diff repaired I was surprised they would agree to do it so readily - I had called again at a later point and they said they had sourced a good used diff. I did not object at the time so I feel like I had already acquiesced to that decision. I also gave it some thought and at my mileage I did not expect a new one, but if at 25k miles for example I would certainly have raised a storm.

I called the shop this morning and they said they verified it's condition by draining all the fluids and doing an 'analysis' on that, and that they had already installed the diff and pan. I asked about photos and they said it's not typical to take any. I don't know if this is BS or not, but I am just excited to get my car back today. I will push for a longer warranty so I can at least have some peace of mind.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Iceter
Drifting

I freely admit that I have never seen a C4 front diff out of a car so opening it might be impractical. I was assuming there was a cover, like on a traditional differential that could come off fairly easily. If it is already installed, that's not going to happen anyway. I don't think it's unreasonable to push to get their warranty on the diff to extend out to the end of your certified Porsche coverage--assuming the Porsche one is longer.

I think you've handled it well. $hit happens and they fixed it pretty quickly and without much hassle.

I know a guy that bought a beautifully restored '68 Mustang GT. The first time he drove it, the rear grenaded. Turns out the restorer never filled the diff, just like in your situation. He went over the car afterwards and other than engine oil and coolant, the seller hadn't put fluid in, or greased anything. Just remember your situation could always be worse.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:01 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

JMHO but they need to make you whole. They need to at least extend the warranty on the diff, and labor, to match your CPO. That is the least they can do.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:24 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The front differential is an easy service item for gear oil change. The shop must be awful to botch this. First let this be a lesson of why you should have done it yourself, second I wouldn't trust them to acquire a used differential of their choice. They owe you a new one. Don't settle for anything less. BTW they will need to repack the front axles and replace the boots at that mileage.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:48 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
The front differential is an easy service item for gear oil change. The shop must be awful to botch this. First let this be a lesson of why you should have done it yourself, second I wouldn't trust them to acquire a used differential of their choice. They owe you a new one. Don't settle for anything less. BTW they will need to repack the front axles and replace the boots at that mileage.
+1000

OP: if the shop forgot to put oil in your engine and grenaded your motor, would you have been ok with a used engine? I'm sorry this happened. At the very least, they should provide you with a fully remanufactured front diff, not a used unit that they "inspected." As KrazyK points out, the service is an easy one and the only reason for screwing it up is gross negligence. That alone is worth getting a new diff. Hope the one they installed doesn't ever give you problems. I would really push for an extended warranty on the unit they installed.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:21 AM
Iceter
Drifting

You guys are funny. Even if a Porsche store screwed up a diff on a 75k mile car, they wouldn’t replace it with a new one.

On a 75k mile car, “making you whole” means getting the customer back on the road with a comparable component that works and warrantying it for a reasonable amount of time—usually a year.

Why dont you just just ask for a whole new car while you’re at it?
Old 12-01-2018, 06:25 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,699 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Hey KrazyK - As awful as the hack job IMS repair you did on your 996 3 years ago?
Was wondering where you went. Haven't seen you around since you erased all your IMS repair related posts 3 years ago after selling your car and basically screwing the buyer of your car who posted issue on 996 Forum after buying your car.
You got a lot of nerve coming back to RL giving any sort of mechanical advice - And to give me me crap about my marker light install on my 997 service thread?
What do you have to say for yourself?? Guess you'll just avoid the question like you avoided your 996 buyer.

Last edited by groovzilla; 12-01-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: New member, independent screwed up front diff service, need advice