Sponsored by:

Tires!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 04:39 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Tires!!!

When I was at the dealer today, I asked about new tires, specifically all-weather tires. They told me I should have summer tires and winter tires. This seems incredibly inconvenient and unnecessary. I drive the car 3k - 4k miles per year and if I drive it in the winter it will be on clear roads with the temperature over 40 degrees. I can't see how summer tires are any better than all-weather tires, either. I'm an old man and I drive like one. Any opinions?
Old 11-26-2018, 04:48 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Your assumptions are correct IMHO. Michelin and Continental, among others, sell an excellent all season tire. Don't waste your money on two different sets considering your use case.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:56 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I live in Fl and drive to snow country a couple times a year. I have bridgestone S04 and conti extremecontact and pirelli run flats I dont have any problems with any of them and cant tell any difference in the feel
Old 11-26-2018, 04:57 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Rarely would I suggest that all seasons are a good fit on a car like a 911. In this case I think a good set of all seasons will be just fine. Continental ExtremeContact DWS will give you reasonable cold weather performance and reasonable summer performance as well. I ran them previously on an Audi sports coupe. Plenty of grip in the summer and a great winter/snow performance in my experience.

Of course all seasons always give something up, but in the described use case those tires would be perfect.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:57 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Summer performance tires are best for summer driving.
Winter tires are best for winter driving.
All season tires are just OK for summer and winter, but great at neither.
Sounds like you are good with "OK" performance.

Order all-season tires from Tire Rack, and use one of their preferred installers in your area.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I seem to be having a difficult time finding 295/30 ZR19 all season tires. Every brand I find says they won't fit my 2009 C2S cabrio.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Balr14
I seem to be having a difficult time finding 295/30 ZR19 all season tires. Every brand I find says they won't fit my 2009 C2S cabrio.
Different sizes.

Trending Topics

Old 11-26-2018, 05:40 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would seem that you would need winter tires if you will be driving your Porsche on snow and ice. Summer (performance tires) will work just fine on dry pavement roads in the winter. Where summer tires get into trouble is in heavy rain situations with possible thick sheets of water per hydroplaning. Even with new tire tread depth the wide width of Porsche tires (997s) makes it difficult for water to be pushed away and contact kept between rubber and road. The same tread on a tire half as wide as P-car tires would do fine on the same wet roads. If you are driving your Porsche up to go skiing you would probably want winter tires with sawdust or studs or maybe chains. Am I wrong here?
Old 11-26-2018, 05:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

Try 285/35/19 or 285/30/19
Old 11-26-2018, 06:35 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Summer performance tires are best for summer driving.
Winter tires are best for winter driving.
All season tires are just OK for summer and winter, but great at neither.
Sounds like you are good with "OK" performance.

Order all-season tires from Tire Rack, and use one of their preferred installers in your area.
Agree with everything here except the TireRack part. If you're a member of Costco, I would highly recommend them for tires. Competitive prices, easy transaction, and easy to have defects remedied. They only charge me $10/wheel to swap from my summer tires to winter tires as well.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:36 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Someone else on the forums (I think bvhdr) suggested https://www.onlinetires.com as the source to order tires.
Their website shows the Bridgestone RE970AS as available => that's a very good set of tires for a 997.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:58 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
Some good choices in 285/30/19, but that size probably not ok for 11 inch rear wheels. Check each tire in fitting chart like Tire Rack to see what wheel size is ok per each manufacturer. Or take the chance stretching it. I passed on that size because 10.5 inch is usual largest recommended wheel width.

295/35/18 will work if you want 18 inch rims, but the main option there is Conti DWS 06, which I wanted but on backorder for months.

i just bought Toyo Proxes 4 plus, 295/30/19, will fit 11 inch wheel width and are listed as OEM option tire size. These are high performance all season and I plan to use for winter driving including average snow and ice. True winter tires will outperform on snow and ice, but I believe all seasons will be great for wet and dry winter driving and queiter than snow tires and adequate for snow, although I have AWD. If I had RWD, I might have gone with winter tires.

Clearly, summer tires are better on dry roads at appropriate temps. Still, my Indy advised I get all seasons if I am just daily driving and not doing track days or much autocross. They thought it was a waste to use ultra high performance summer tires to commute to work and run the twisties on weekends, because I couldn't outperform wide high performance all season tires in the summner, on the street, unless I was "really stupid."
Old 11-26-2018, 09:03 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 257 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis R. Cliff
It would seem that you would need winter tires if you will be driving your Porsche on snow and ice. Summer (performance tires) will work just fine on dry pavement roads in the winter. Where summer tires get into trouble is in heavy rain situations with possible thick sheets of water per hydroplaning. Even with new tire tread depth the wide width of Porsche tires (997s) makes it difficult for water to be pushed away and contact kept between rubber and road. The same tread on a tire half as wide as P-car tires would do fine on the same wet roads. If you are driving your Porsche up to go skiing you would probably want winter tires with sawdust or studs or maybe chains. Am I wrong here?
Did you read the original post?
Old 11-26-2018, 09:44 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

If you have a 4S you have to change from 305 rears to make non-summer tires work as I don't believe anyone makes 305 non-summer tires?

Porsche manual says 235/35/19 front and 295/30/19s work for a 4S.

Bridgestone RE970AS and Continental DWS both show up as options.

Anecdotally, I have Bridgestone RE050 summer tires on my 4S and have driven them in 20 degree mornings from my garage to the office. They get really hard below 32 or so and you can certainly feel it. On those morning I drive like a grandma until the afternoon temperature was around 50 degrees. The 911 is parked for the winter as daytime highs are 40 or less now and it's going to get colder.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:53 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
Clearly, summer tires are better on dry roads at appropriate temps. Still, my Indy advised I get all seasons if I am just daily driving and not doing track days or much autocross. They thought it was a waste to use ultra high performance summer tires to commute to work and run the twisties on weekends, because I couldn't outperform wide high performance all season tires in the summner, on the street, unless I was "really stupid."
​​​​​​This is awesome and totally fits my use case. Im going to save this to remind me to consider switching when my tires

Quick Reply: Tires!!!