Sponsored by:

Best time of year to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 01:45 PM
Pats911
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Best time of year to buy?

Hi all - I'm currently shopping for my first 911. I've mostly settled on a 2006-2008 C2S unless a crazy deal on a 996 Turbo materializes. Anyway, I was wondering if more experienced buyers can tell me about the price cycle. Obviously prices dip in the winter, but how about over the next three months? I'm looking at a couple decent deals, and I'm wondering if I should be waiting for Jan-Feb, or if I should just pull the trigger now. I won't be driving it until mid Spring, so I'm willing to be patient, but I also don't want to let the right car slip away.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:51 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,432 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Anytime now through February. Now is good because it is getting near the holidays, and year end, and folks are holding cash for other things (not hobby cars). In Jan and Feb, when they've unsuccessfully tried to sell, they may be more amenable to deal. One key metric is to see how long it has been for sale - the longer the better from a buyer standpoint.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:12 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been watching pricing for the whole country on 997's for almost 2 years now. In the northern states, now up through January February is best. The problem is, the market also lacks liquidity and very few actually come up new for sale during that time.

I've discovered WHERE you buy matters more than when. The cheapest places to buy? Atlanta area and Southern California. They are more plentiful and cheaper in those areas. As to why, I have my theories on that but regardless it is true.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:37 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I bought mine at the end of February from a dealer in Southern California. I would not have purchased one from a "rust belt" state even if I found a good deal. I did not observe Porsche prices were effected by seasons nearly as much as more common brands. Everything Online Alias said is also true.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:13 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 306 Likes on 180 Posts

On cars that are relatively hard to find and if you are picky about options and colors. Try to make the best deal on the one you want regardless of time of year.

There are so many other factors to consider such as condition, miles, color/options, location, ease of transaction etc that trying to time a 10 year old car seems pointless. Now if it was newer and you were timing something based on a new model coming out and having that effect values then yes but otherwise get the car you actually want to own and drive.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:40 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by workhurts
On cars that are relatively hard to find and if you are picky about options and colors. Try to make the best deal on the one you want regardless of time of year.

There are so many other factors to consider such as condition, miles, color/options, location, ease of transaction etc that trying to time a 10 year old car seems pointless. Now if it was newer and you were timing something based on a new model coming out and having that effect values then yes but otherwise get the car you actually want to own and drive.
Agree. I almost said this same thing. After looking for mine for about 8 months, I ended up paying a little more than a probably should have. The car I ended up with as optioned is one of less than about 600 in the country. Maybe less than 300. And that counts all 3.5 years of 997.2's.

I'm very happy I bought it, even if I paid a little much.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:04 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say now through the winter, without regard to geography. More demand for "fun cars" and toys come springtime, which also coincides with tax refunds if anyone is so fortunate to get one (never me).

That said, I bought mine out of SoCal in May of last year. Might not have been the best timing technically, but it was the right car for me so it doesn't matter. I suggest finding the right car for you and working from there without regard to season! Once the truck delivers it to your house you may wonder why you fretted over things so much....should'ves, would'ves, and could'ves will mean nothing...

Bill
Old 11-20-2018, 05:04 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best time to buy is fall through spring for a sports car or convertible. Best place to buy is the Southwest as they dont generally use road chemicals or road salt and the dry climate is favorable to no rust.. Thats a broad generalization and one can find examples that fit outside the box.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:54 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

FWIW, a good chunk of people in the so called “rust belt” states avoid driving in salt. So IMO right car right owner the location shouldn’t be a deal killer
Old 11-20-2018, 08:58 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,650 Likes on 984 Posts

Best time for me, when I purchased my 2009 C2S with 26K miles on it, was at the end of January, after a snow storm, from a Volvo dealer in St Paul Minnesota. Yep, the internet pictures had snow piles all around it. I paid $53K for it in 2012... about what the Mannheim auction price was. It had a bad Carfax... "hit a wild animal"... I had a Porsche speed shop up there do a PPI.... I don;t care about skin damage as I bang 'em up myself. I spoke to the guy who did the inspection and he said something like "if this was in an accident, we see no evidence of it".

Having said this, a local Porsche dealer I talked to a few years ago, said he moved cars down to Florida in the winter. The dealers move these things around to maximize even a few hundred dollars. This market is pretty efficient having been around for over 100 years.

A few other points... the dealer had the wrong description of the car's options.... had both PDK and manual in the description among other things. They told me they buy the descriptions from some listing service. The photos told me everything I needed to know. Your best source of information is the Mannheim action prices.... this number represents the price "floor". They will dump it at auction before they take less. Oh, options count for nothing in the auction system.... don't lie to yourself... or be lied to. For shipping, I had them do it the cheapest way... with an indy who moves cars randomly around.... best they could do was "predict" the day of delivery to a mall parking lot. I saved tons.

FWIW..... it appears to me that cars purchased by dealers were optioned in two "flavors" performance or comfort. My car appears as if it was comfort optioned...... full leather, wood trim, lighted sills etc.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-20-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:47 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Echo much of what has been said here. Bought mine at the end of February. Part of my motivation was having the max warm weather window to drive and enjoy the car, get used to the RWD driving dynamics, etc...T
Old 11-20-2018, 08:54 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
FWIW, a good chunk of people in the so called “rust belt” states avoid driving in salt. So IMO right car right owner the location shouldn’t be a deal killer
That is certainly true. I will not drive mine in snow or salt. I know other Porsche owners who have already stored their cars for the winter. I made that comment mostly with Chicago in mind.

Quick Reply: Best time of year to buy?