Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Muffler X Pipe B&B, Shark Werks, FabSpeed ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 04:35 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Center Muffler X Pipe B&B, Shark Werks, FabSpeed ??

OK,
I am toying with the center muffler upgrade on a base 997.2 C2. I'm now leaning away from the FabSpeed and towards the Shark Werks.
Any advice or experience ?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:45 PM
PNW2015
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking about the FabSpeed also and when I spoke with a sales person at Suncoast, he told me a lot of people had complaints about Fabspeed and recommended AgencyPower exhaust. I am thinking about ordering that one. I have not personally had one though.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:39 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
OK,
I am toying with the center muffler upgrade on a base 997.2 C2. I'm now leaning away from the FabSpeed and towards the Shark Werks.
There's a bazillion threads on this topic to read with lots of feedback/opinions/etc.

One consistent theme in those threads is that if you only add the bypass and leave the side-cans stock on a 997.2, it's only a modest improvement (for the price). A lot of people recommend tackling the side-cans first (Gundo/Fister/PSE/etc).

Karl.

PS: For reference, here's a list of bypass suppliers with prices as of early-November 2018. Some maybe offering additional discounts given that Black Friday is just around the corner...

Under & Over Crossover StyleX-Pipe / U-Bend Style
Old 11-18-2018, 08:56 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

2009 C2S 129K miles

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
....it's only a modest improvement ....
Improving towards what? In my opinion, the cross pipe got me there. There is no improvement beyond this.

It is impossible to understand what someone else feels is good or bad and then match it to your own tastes. So for me, I added the pipe and then waited to see if it was enough or just wrong. It was fine, what I wanted.

I will say, that most of the folks who want to "improve" an exhaust... well when they get there, I am simply offended. I do not want to shake the ground or set of car alarms. I don't find this cool. I thought my 2009 C2S sounded like Buick... but again, that is my opinion... and I just wanted a bit more sports car-like sound. What is right for you is in your own head.... and reading what other people think is correct is a bit dangerous and expensive. However, we don;t have much more to go on. I know Sharkwerks has a vid with the pipe on a 997.2 and you can hear it there. I think Fabspeed has the same. Start with the vids.

I have the SharkWerks pipe and am happy, it fit fine. It is nothing but a pipe. The Fabspeed has the pipes joined with a hole interconnecting them.. go to their website and check it out. Which is "better"? F' if I know.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-18-2018, 09:14 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Thank you all. Bruce, I think I'm leaning your way. I just want a deeper note and a little more "sound" in the RPM ranges. I did read a few times the separated "X" pipes are a tad louder than the connected tubes (like FabSpeed).
Old 11-19-2018, 02:00 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Thank you all. Bruce, I think I'm leaning your way. I just want a deeper note and a little more "sound" in the RPM ranges. I did read a few times the separated "X" pipes are a tad louder than the connected tubes (like FabSpeed).
I hear what Bruce is saying. What "sounds good" is subjective. That said, based on a lot of discussions on this topic over the years I think I dare say that most of those who thought all stock on non PSE .2 cars was too quiet thought that x-pipes (any brand) alone only produced a very modest improvement. Addressing the side cans alone and leaving the center muffler......same thing. A lot of guys have done the Gundo hack or Fister for side cans combined with any of the x-pipe options and seem to think it's just right. I have PSE/Sharkwerks which I think is similar to those configurations and it's spot on. Doesn't rattle windows or set off car alarms. Just makes the car sound like it should (imo)..
Old 11-19-2018, 05:02 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

Get whichever one pops up on sale (rennlist classifieds or eBay) first. Honestly isn't even worth the time to figure out. The side can mods will create the vast majority of the sound.

I can't remember which one I found to be easier to install. I think the fabspeed unit is a prettier piece but I ended up with sharkwerks.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:48 AM
pcaskey57
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

OK,
I went full-on FabSpeed and couldn't be any more pleased. But then again I wasn't looking for sound but rather increased hp so I combined this with a GT3 82mm throttle body and an IPD Plenum. It is a throatier sound but only when you stick your foot into it ... no drone either! I got what I wanted (even though it was expensive) and hope you do too! Enjoy the ride!!!

Old 11-20-2018, 01:38 AM
RJ997.2
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had FabSpeed side mufflers and cross-over(center muffler delete) on my 997.2 base. It was perfect sound for me.
At highway speeds cruising there was no drone in the cab. When higher up in the rpm's was a wicked howl. Idle tone was certainly noticeable too.

When I acquire another 997.2 and need exhaust. I will not hesitate to talk to FabSpeed 1st.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:30 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 2009 C2S I had Shark Werks crossover pipes feeding into stock side mufflers. This arrangement was very quiet. The best sounding Porsche that I ever heard was my 993 with stage 2 Fister mufflers and cat delete pipes. That was not obnoxious in the interior at speed. Back to my 2009, I replaced the Cats with a gorgeous set of header pipes feeding into the Shark Werks crossovers and the exhaust note was still pretty quiet and barely audible in the interior with windows up. When getting on the throttle the sound was louder than with the cats but nothing compared to some hot rods and Harleys with minimal mufflers. I am considering trying the Fister mufflers to see if I can recreate my 993's exhaust note.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:39 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Look, don't let me scare anyone off.... I just wanted a bit "more"... but that was it. I always wanted a car that sounds like the Aston Martins, Mazaratis etc..... but I am a bit gun-shy modifying my car as my car is my only driver and need to talk on my phone etc. and I am not willing to spend the money, and then back it out.

To each his/her own......

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-20-2018, 10:08 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Have just got this done, using the bypass from Topgear (UK company - search for a thread discussing this). I don't have PSE.

Last edited by 318touring; 11-24-2018 at 05:46 AM. Reason: updated with cold start
Old 11-20-2018, 10:54 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stayed with OEM exhaust for 2.5 years and went to Tubi after. Only downside of installing the Tubi then was not doing it earlier. Still love it!
Old 11-21-2018, 10:50 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

For those of us old enough to remember Sledge Hammer and his loudner (scene starts at the 47sec mark)...

https://bit.ly/2S5beCN

Karl.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:45 AM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a 993 with Fister III, one of the best sounding exhaust tones ever. The 997.2 is a completely different engine and will never sound like a 993. I have fisters with the SW center exhaust and I think it’s a tad loud. The fisters on the 997.2 sound to raspy for my taste, but I’ll living with it for now.

Quick Reply: Center Muffler X Pipe B&B, Shark Werks, FabSpeed ??