Sponsored by:

What is under here that leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts
Default What is under here that leaks

After home car wash I have a damp passenger side floor with "minor" water pooling on my mats. This occurs with a regular sprayhead (non-pressure washer) It seems to me that some seal or drain in the passenger side firewall or door frame is messed up. Anyone have a shop manual or experience under here to tell me what is there that can leak? I haven't tried to see how all of it comes apart or pulled back anything other than taking the obvious screws out to check under the glove compartment for dampness.

Yellow marks are dampness.

I tried to put weedeater line down the Targa/sunroof drains to check them and it seems to go all the way through so I don't believe they are clogged.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:36 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I have identical water issues with my Mini and had them with the Audi I had a few years back. German manufacturers don't seem to be able to make a decent sunroof. Drains seem open, but are not effective. I solved the problem on my Mini by caulking the sunroof shut.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Look in the frunk near the battery compartment under the plastic covers for debris clogging that area. Water that runs through that area just goes out a drain opening but if it's clogged up could go inside instead.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:57 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

I assume you mean these? There are four I believe.

They appear clear to me. I tries to check around the cabin air filter as well it appears sealed to me. I devised a straw method to pour water in the Targa drains, the water drains to the floor under the car.

Seems to me it's gotta be a door seal or some firewall seal. Unless someone else has an idea, I'll probably never find either myself. Probably will just take it to the dealer in the spring in lieu of trying to take the underside of the dash/footwell apart. The car's ready for winter here.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:05 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Could be the air conditioning box that houses the evaporator. In most cars, they’re behind the dash and over the passenger footwell. If the condensate drain gets clogged, they will leak water onto the floor.

Could also be a leaking heater core. Is the moisture slippery and sweet smelling? Heater core is usually near the evaporator.

Could also be a leaking door or window seal.

Quick Reply: What is under here that leaks