Sponsored by:

HELP! Door lock passenger side not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Fred Gil
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP! Door lock passenger side not working

The driver door when locking manually or with the remote will lock and unlock, lock and unlock several times. Other times it will lock and stay locked. The same thing happens with the switch inside the car. But what I noticed is that the passenger door doesnt do anything at all. The door stays unlocked no matter what. The fuel door lock works normal.

So my driver door lock is erratic and occasionally closes, but the passenger door nothing. Also I have had a dead battery several times...

Please help
Fred
Old 11-18-2018, 12:25 PM
SF997S
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Are there any CEL (check engine light) or other warnings lights on? Is the battery fully charged? Does this happen all the time, or only in the mornings or other specific times? What part of the country are you in?
Old 11-18-2018, 02:29 PM
Fred Gil
4th Gear

Originally Posted by SF997S
Are there any CEL (check engine light) or other warnings lights on? Is the battery fully charged? Does this happen all the time, or only in the mornings or other specific times? What part of the country are you in?
Check engine light has been on for years. This problem has existed for the past 6 months. I replaced the door latch a few months ago but it didn't make any difference. I'm in Huntington Beach, CA.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:52 PM
SF997S
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

you're crackin me up!...ok, it sounds like there's something, or at least the car thinks there's something impeding the door-lock (d'uh, I know). The up/down on the driver side, is likely the system sensing what it perceives as a blockage and cycling itself. So, I'd stay focused on the pass door. You live in LA, so you're locks aren't frozen or something like that.

First thing I would do frankly, is get an OBD II off ebay and clear/confirm all the CELs. Power loss from the repeated battery failures can produce phantoms and you need to eliminate some variables. These cars have sensors for everything, so we might even find something like a relay or sensor error. If not, then I would take the passenger door panel completely off to gain access to the entire mechanism and give a thorough clean, some WD-40 and visual inspection of the locking mechanism. When you replaced the latch, did you open up the door panel or just replace it from the outside?
Old 11-19-2018, 03:24 PM
Fred Gil
4th Gear

Took the door apart from the inside. I have a snap on scanner, will clear codes. Also my employee said he had seen a video months ago that there is a box that controls locking system. Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Fred

Quick Reply: HELP! Door lock passenger side not working