Sponsored by:

Sourced a 997.1 OEM GT3 wing to install on my 997.2 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 09:50 AM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Sourced a 997.1 OEM GT3 wing to install on my 997.2 C4S

Very happy to have found a local OEM GT3 wing from a 997.1 GT3.
Picking it up tomorrow.
I already have the Fabspeed intake so the airbox holes lining up doesn't matter.

Trying to plan for the install, it seems I need a different engine fan and longer screws??
Does anyone have specifics?
Also I know I have to recode,
Too bad I just bought the Enthusiast Durametric that doesn't do that.

Now I just need a GT3 or Aero front bumper!

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-07-2018, 02:04 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my TT tail conversion, I had to get the tail wiring harness. Its the short one that goes from the engine compartment to the actual tail to power the fan and light. Without it, the re-code (adjustable tail to non adjustable tail) will throw a 'spoiler fail to deploy' message on the dash. IIRC it was about $130 from Suncoast. Thats what happened on my 997.1 4S.

Its a fun, bang for your buck mod. Thumbs up!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by captainbaker
On my TT tail conversion, I had to get the tail wiring harness. Its the short one that goes from the engine compartment to the actual tail to power the fan and light. Without it, the re-code (adjustable tail to non adjustable tail) will throw a 'spoiler fail to deploy' message on the dash. IIRC it was about $130 from Suncoast. Thats what happened on my 997.1 4S.

Its a fun, bang for your buck mod. Thumbs up!
Yes I have the part number for the cable: 997-612-670-71

My dealership is telling me that if I need a new engine fan from the GT3 the part number is: 997-624-056-05

Can anyone verify this is what I need?

Thx
Old 11-14-2018, 04:54 AM
moralman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Recruiter_Bruno
Yes I have the part number for the cable: 997-612-670-71

My dealership is telling me that if I need a new engine fan from the GT3 the part number is: 997-624-056-05

Can anyone verify this is what I need?

Thx
Yup. u need a GT3 fan. The fan will fit but needs to be modified to fit and the wiring needs to be modded too.
Gotta use aftermarket intake too. would be very interested to see how TPC will mod to fit the 3.8 plenum with the GT3 airbox in their 4.0 build.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you run a fixed wing on your TT decklid swap? I am getting ready to order part number 997-622-670-70. This will work with third brake light.
looks like the other number in post if for the GT3 with no light.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by moralman
Yup. u need a GT3 fan. The fan will fit but needs to be modified to fit and the wiring needs to be modded too.
Gotta use aftermarket intake too. would be very interested to see how TPC will mod to fit the 3.8 plenum with the GT3 airbox in their 4.0 build.
Thanks Moralman.
Can you clarify and give me any more specifics?
Are you saying my stock fan will fit with modification? Or that I need a GT3 fan and modify it.
What needs to be modified and what about the wiring needs to be changed?
I already have an aftermarket intake (Fabspeed)
Thank you very much.
Want to get it all organized before it's installed.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:49 AM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hi-Arc
Did you run a fixed wing on your TT decklid swap? I am getting ready to order part number 997-622-670-70. This will work with third brake light.
looks like the other number in post if for the GT3 with no light.
I am not doing a TT decklid swap? It's a GT3 decklid so I don't have the brake light on it.
There are other threads discussing TT decklid swaps.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:37 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

3 things to get this to work.. maybe 2:
1) You need a new fan . No modding needs to be done to the fan but check that it clears your Fabspeed intake. Shouldn't be an issue though.
2) Code out the spoiler in your DME. Easy enough with a dura pro or PIWIS. Dealer will charge you an hour labor. Maybe find a local with a dura pro? Or rent one from eBay for $99. Not sure they ship to Canada though.
*3) You'll need a new fan wiring harness. This is mostly because the wiring is routed differently. Your current wiring harness on your .2 decklid will work just fine but I can't recall whether or not the coding worked with that particular wiring harness. They both fit the plug behind the passenger light just fine. BTW that plug is a PITA to get to. Small hands help.

My advice, if you have the time, try the swap with your current wiring harness and code it out. If it works, you saved yourself a hundred bucks. Otherwise, just pony up for the GT3 wing wiring harness (Check PET for the part number) and you'll be fine after coding. If it were me, I'd just get the new wiring harness. Will make reselling the wing with a wiring harness that much easier when you go to sell it at some point.

I'll caveat that i've done this a few times though I'm most knowledgeable having done this on my OEM 997.2 Aerokit wing... not a .1 retrofit.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
3 things to get this to work.. maybe 2:
1) You need a new fan . No modding needs to be done to the fan but check that it clears your Fabspeed intake. Shouldn't be an issue though.
2) Code out the spoiler in your DME. Easy enough with a dura pro or PIWIS. Dealer will charge you an hour labor. Maybe find a local with a dura pro? Or rent one from eBay for $99. Not sure they ship to Canada though.
*3) You'll need a new fan wiring harness. This is mostly because the wiring is routed differently. Your current wiring harness on your .2 decklid will work just fine but I can't recall whether or not the coding worked with that particular wiring harness. They both fit the plug behind the passenger light just fine. BTW that plug is a PITA to get to. Small hands help.

My advice, if you have the time, try the swap with your current wiring harness and code it out. If it works, you saved yourself a hundred bucks. Otherwise, just pony up for the GT3 wing wiring harness (Check PET for the part number) and you'll be fine after coding. If it were me, I'd just get the new wiring harness. Will make reselling the wing with a wiring harness that much easier when you go to sell it at some point.

I'll caveat that i've done this a few times though I'm most knowledgeable having done this on my OEM 997.2 Aerokit wing... not a .1 retrofit.

Good luck!
Thank you very much.
Yes I agree on the harness. Already ordered it.
Too bad about the fan... oh well. It will be worth it.

Now I'm just debating on whether or not spending $5k (after shipping, tax and painting) on a GTS front bumper is worth it or just adding a front lip to my stock bumper is enough.
Either way the front plate RUINS the look of both.

Quick Reply: Sourced a 997.1 OEM GT3 wing to install on my 997.2 C4S