Sponsored by:

RE: Alarm systems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 03:41 AM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Alarm systems?

Anyone install Lojak or some other alarm device on their 997s?

It would suck to lose this car b/c some punks wanted to go for a joyride or whatever else they do.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Radmd74
Anyone install Lojak or some other alarm device on their 997s?

It would suck to lose this car b/c some punks wanted to go for a joyride or whatever else they do.
Yes, I've had LoJack on my last Carrera. What's your question?
Old 11-16-2018, 09:31 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Yes, I've had LoJack on my last Carrera. What's your question?
You answered it
Old 11-16-2018, 09:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

The immobilizer chip built into the key that communicates with the DME is not that easy to bypass and no one pays attention to alarms going off. It's not like the older 911s where they could be hot wired easily, so random punks won't be taking your 997 for a joy ride, and pros who know how to circumvent this stuff won't be doing that either. It will be into a warehouse with a cage that prevents any tracking device from communicating until they've stripped the car, found the device and disconnected it. Sorry, but it's true.

Your best bet is to get a good agreed value policy on it with a value that let's you replace it with something comparable, without having to fight with a regular insurance company about its value. I have my cars with Grundy (underwritten by AIG) and they have options that aren't as restrictive as those from Hagerty or Leland West. It would absolutely suck to lose one of my cars, but they're insured for enough to get me something else very nice. If one of mine is stolen, I'd prefer not to get it back, so not a fan of the LoJack concept. I'd rather take the payout and start over.

Quick Reply: RE: Alarm systems?